+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card when PR obligations not met

SecondCup

Dec 29, 2021
Can someone help me to understand what happens if the PR obligations are not met, however the person is not reported when crossing the border?
My understanding is that the person should wait for two years and then apply for a new PR Card, correct?
Should the applicant present the 5 years travel history in the application i.e. clearly indicate that his card/status was expired, but he still was allowed to Canada somehow 2 years ago? And, according to what I understand, it does not raise any flag?
Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can someone help me to understand what happens if the PR obligations are not met, however the person is not reported when crossing the border?
My understanding is that the person should wait for two years and then apply for a new PR Card, correct?
Should the applicant present the 5 years travel history in the application i.e. clearly indicate that his card/status was expired, but he still was allowed to Canada somehow 2 years ago? And, according to what I understand, it does not raise any flag?
Thank you!
-Yes, should generally wait until in compliance - which for situation you describe (vaguely) is probably two years.
-Just tell the truth. If the PR was admitted legally, there's nothing to explain, really. Show your dates of entry and last valid card held was such and such.

-Sort of irrelevant whether it 'raises a flag' - the residency obligation is a simple test - if the PR has been resident for two years continuously, the PR meets the simple arithmetic test, and the simple arithmetic test is in the law. (*Barring the specific cases where the clock is stopped - but you haven't mentioned anythingn to indicate that could be the case).

A 'flag raised' in such a case might result in a bit longer processing or request for addl documents to show one was in Canada, but having been let in with expired card should not be - in and of itself - a 'flag' when applying for PR card at end of that two year period.

Reactions: Buletruck

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Thank you!
I went through this scenario (wasn't meeting residency obligation in 2018, not reported and was let in with a warning to stay in Canada for 2 straight years.
I filed to PR card renewal in 2020 after staying to 2 years straight.

You don't need to flag or indicate anything extra, just fill-in the 5 year travel history from 1 day prior to signing the application. As long at your total days in Canada is more than 730 days, it should be fine. It is much straight forward if you didn't travel in the last 2 years. I filed with 760 days just to be cautious and also I wasn't travelling anywhere due to Covid.

Reactions: armoured

ishaannayyyar

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
I went through this scenario (wasn't meeting residency obligation in 2018, not reported and was let in with a warning to stay in Canada for 2 straight years.
I filed to PR card renewal in 2020 after staying to 2 years straight.

You don't need to flag or indicate anything extra, just fill-in the 5 year travel history from 1 day prior to signing the application. As long at your total days in Canada is more than 730 days, it should be fine. It is much straight forward if you didn't travel in the last 2 years. I filed with 760 days just to be cautious and also I wasn't travelling anywhere due to Covid.
Hi,

Just two questions on your situation:
1. How short you were of RO when you were let in?
2. Which airport did you land on when this happened?
3. When was your last entry before this date (when you were let in without being reported)?

Thank you and I appreciate your response.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Hi,

Just two questions on your situation:
1. How short you were of RO when you were let in?
2. Which airport did you land on when this happened?
3. When was your last entry before this date (when you were let in without being reported)?

Thank you and I appreciate your response.
1. 6-7 days
2. Land Border near Lewiston
3. One month before this date. I wasn't reported, just warned.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015