+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card validity

Devarakonda

Aug 2, 2017
Hi

Currently working in USA on H1b visa with Eb2 priority 2013. Received PR on April 2015 and valid till April 2020 landed at Ontario.
Since then I have been trying to get job but not successful due to my domain, I have proof for job applications. My kid is started going to 11 the grade in USA. To maintain his PR status 730 days I would like to send my wife and kid to Canada to continue in his studies with out any disruption due to my current immigration status in USA and spend their time to get extension or citizenship and I will travel to Canada for biweekly.
My questions are
1. Since , I am not going to live there still are they eligible to get PR Extension.
2. Once they get extension or citizenship , can they sponsor me back as a family member by any means.

Really appreciate your help in this regard

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Assuming your wife and child are both PRs then as long as they meet the residency obligation your status will be irelevant to them when they come to renew their PR cards given Residency obligation is down to an individual to maintain.

Sure if you fail the RO at some point and either get your PR revoked or you renounce your wife could try sponsoring you at some point in the future, never guaranteed though

Maybe do not give up on getting a job in Canada as that is obviously the easiest solution.

Devarakonda

Aug 2, 2017
Thanks for your reply.yes,all three landed at same time and got out PR cards.
One quick question,in order for my wife to be able sponsor me,would she need to be a citizen or could she do while a PR?

harjotsandhu

Star Member
Mar 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-08-2010
IELTS Request
With App
Med's Request
07-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2014
Interview........
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
05-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-01-2015
LANDED..........
09-03-2015
Short answer. yes. A PR can sponsor a spouse provided they meet all other requirement

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Short answer. yes. A PR can sponsor a spouse provided they meet all other requirement
The OP should read thoroughly the requirements for sponsorship before renouncing their PR status in case there is something that might cause issues later on.

Only renounce PR when absolutely necessary, so do not rush to renounce until need to as obviously a lot can happen in near 3 years. After all the OP can stay away for up to 3 years and still meet the RO if they stay for the following 2 years plus bi weekly trips all count to the RO.

Manojgdv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
to get extension o
Hi

Currently working in USA on H1b visa with Eb2 priority 2013. Received PR on April 2015 and valid till April 2020 landed at Ontario.
Since then I have been trying to get job but not successful due to my domain, I have proof for job applications. My kid is started going to 11 the grade in USA. To maintain his PR status 730 days I would like to send my wife and kid to Canada to continue in his studies with out any disruption due to my current immigration status in USA and spend their time to get extension or citizenship and I will travel to Canada for biweekly.
My questions are
1. Since , I am not going to live there still are they eligible to get PR Extension.
2. Once they get extension or citizenship , can they sponsor me back as a family member by any means.

Really appreciate your help in this regard
May I know what did you do in your case. Did you stay for 2yrs to meet the PR requirements?
I am also in kind of similar situation. I did my soft landing in Oct 18th 2018, but got my PR card in Dec 2018.I was in assumption that I have travel time till Dec 2018, but just realized that I am wrong when checked in forums, that it counts from the day we did soft landing.
My family is India and I am in India, so if I need to maintain my PR status I need to be in Canada before 17th Oct 2021 is it?
Not sure how much would that be possible with the current travel ban

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
May I know what did you do in your case. Did you stay for 2yrs to meet the PR requirements?
I am also in kind of similar situation. I did my soft landing in Oct 18th 2018, but got my PR card in Dec 2018.I was in assumption that I have travel time till Dec 2018, but just realized that I am wrong when checked in forums, that it counts from the day we did soft landing.
My family is India and I am in India, so if I need to maintain my PR status I need to be in Canada before 17th Oct 2021 is it?
Not sure how much would that be possible with the current travel ban
You need to arrive sometime in November. You’ll need to do your own calculation but you remained in Canada for around 2 weeks after landing so you can use that time towards your 730 days in the 5 years from your landing date. If you arrive with no buffer time you will need to plan on remaining in Canada without leaving for 2+ years.