+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card stolen just before needing to leave the country and return shortly after

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
My wallet was stolen with my PR card inside. I am due to travel to the UK (my original citizenship) this week. I know I can apply for an PRTD but that is only if you have lost the PR card outside of the country. Obviously I know I can apply for a replacement card in Canada, but it certainly wouldn't be ready before this Thursday.

What do I do in this case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wallet was stolen with my PR card inside. I am due to travel to the UK (my original citizenship) this week. I know I can apply for an PRTD but that is only if you have lost the PR card outside of the country. Obviously I know I can apply for a replacement card in Canada, but it certainly wouldn't be ready before this Thursday.

You can still apply for a PRTD. It doesn't matter where or how you last your PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Apply for PRTD while abroad (possible suffering delays), re-route your return to enter via land border (PR evidence will be sufficient eg even photocopy of old card), or cancel your trip.

Reactions: scylla

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

The wallet is the worst place for a PR card. There's no reason whatsoever for it to be in there until the day you leave Canada

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
The wallet is the worst place for a PR card. There's no reason whatsoever for it to be in there until the day you leave Canada
Yeah... I realise that now. I relied on it for ID before I got a drivers' licence/health card and never took it out. I rue that entirely now, of course.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah... I realise that now. I relied on it for ID before I got a drivers' licence/health card and never took it out. I rue that entirely now, of course.
Why not put the PR card in the same place as your passport? It make more sense especially if you are traveling.

abff08f4813c

Feb 24, 2023
Why not put the PR card in the same place as your passport? It make more sense especially if you are traveling.
This is really good advice. Alas, hindsight is 20/20 - and even passports sometimes get lost or stolen.

I knew someone in a similar situation - lost a US passport while abroad. Was able to make an emergency appointment at the nearest US embassy and get a temporary passport to continue traveling and return home.

It boggles my mind that, seeing how essential PR cards are for international travel, that Canada doesn't have an emergency system designed to handle this. PRTDs could be that system - if they could be issued in a single day (or at least some reasonably short timeframe).

I always thought this was a good argument to allow folks to hold multiple valid copies of their PR cards, so if I lose the one in my wallet because it got stolen, I can go back and grab the one I kept safe in my passport. If I lose that, I can get an emergency travel passport and while on my way to deal with that also grab my last PR card copy from the bank safe deposit box.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It boggles my mind that, seeing how essential PR cards are for international travel, that Canada doesn't have an emergency system designed to handle this. PRTDs could be that system - if they could be issued in a single day (or at least some reasonably short timeframe).
Getting a PRTD replaced in a single day is not realistic, but there have been reports (eg in UK) of them being done 'quickly.' No, I can't say for certain how long; but I do recall having seen one done in about a week. (I believe you can file for the PRTD before you leave for the UK, but I'm not certain). The problem is the uncertainty, but it's much less for those who are (well and clearly) in compliance with the residency obligation.

That said, for UK passport (and other visa waiver/ETA passport holders) it is generally far easier to travel to a US border town and cross by car/on foot. At minimum it's to your great advantage to have that option, from which many others do not benefit.

Side note for others: from what we can see/tell here, the vast majority of those having much longer processing times are PRs who are not in compliance with the residency obligation, and/or indeed not residing in Canada, sometimes for many years. Those PRTD applications need a positive H&C decision to be adjudicated. That's what takes very long - for the most part.

abff08f4813c

Feb 24, 2023
Side note for others: from what we can see/tell here, the vast majority of those having much longer processing times are PRs who are not in compliance with the residency obligation, and/or indeed not residing in Canada, sometimes for many years. Those PRTD applications need a positive H&C decision to be adjudicated. That's what takes very long - for the most part.

The problem is the uncertainty, but it's much less for those who are (well and clearly) in compliance with the residency obligation.
As you say, the issue here is the uncertainty. Publishing processing times for folks where "an instant and positive determination of compliance with the residency obligation can be determined" for each consulate would go a long way to help with this.

but there have been reports (eg in UK) of them being done 'quickly.' No, I can't say for certain how long; but I do recall having seen one done in about a week.

(I believe you can file for the PRTD before you leave for the UK, but I'm not certain).
A quick check suggests that might indeed be the case.

Other websites do say you should be outside of Canada when you apply, e.g https://total.law/blog/permanent-resident-travel-document/ and https://www.canadim.com/immigrate/canada-permanent-residence/travel-document/ - however, if one checks the guide at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document/how-to-apply.html for the United Kingdom it says it's possible to submit the application online.

Meaning that OP might be able to get a head start on the PRTD process before leaving on Thursday. OP didn't say how long the duration of the stay in the UK would be but if OP can get it done today and the trip is at least few weeks long, I think in that case the OP stands a good chance of having the PRTD approved before flying back. (But don't quote me on that.)

Getting a PRTD replaced in a single day is not realistic,
Fair. Even the US passport took something like a week to replace, though part of that was due to distance from the vacation spot and needing to travel to the embassy.

That said, for UK passport (and other visa waiver/ETA passport holders) it is generally far easier to travel to a US border town and cross by car/on foot. At minimum it's to your great advantage to have that option, from which many others do not benefit.
Yep, or if you have a B1/B2 visa for the US (a lot of Chinese and Indian nationals get these fairly easily after obtaining the Canadian PR card), then this option still works. (Though for the visa case, it perhaps is less helpful if along with your PR card, you also lose your passport at the same time...)

Worth noting though that not everyone can do this as even with the right passport you still need to qualify for the visa wavier/ETA. I knew someone from the UK (holding that passport) who was planning a trip to the US. It seems that this person had the unfortunate luck to have a panic attack during a routine police stop, and even worse luck when the copper decided to make an arrest. I heard that the judge basically tossed the whole thing out saying that the arrest shouldn't even have happened. Even so, this person had to cancel the trip to the US.

The person wasn't eligible for the visa wavier/ETA anymore - because of that arrest - and was required to apply for a visa at the embassy and discuss the circumstances with a visa officer. (In theory the trip could have gone forward after that - just the timing of the trip (and needing to return to work afterwards), the late discovery of the requirement, and the embassy not having open slots for an interview meant that the actual visa couldn't have arrived on time.)

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
I believe you can file for the PRTD before you leave for the UK, but I'm not certain
Yeah, that's our concern also. I would be fine to apply for a PR card replacement now, while in Canada, and a PRTD also at the same time, but I don't want one to cancel out the other. Certainly everything suggests that you are supposed to be outside of Canada to apply for a PRTD, but whether that really matters... I just don't know.

abff08f4813c

Feb 24, 2023
Yeah, that's our concern also. I would be fine to apply for a PR card replacement now, while in Canada, and a PRTD also at the same time, but I don't want one to cancel out the other. Certainly everything suggests that you are supposed to be outside of Canada to apply for a PRTD, but whether that really matters... I just don't know.
Hmm, seeing that current processing time for a replacement PR card is 59 days. There is urgent processing, but separate processing times for that don't seem to be available from the govt website.

How long will you be in the UK? If you're planning a stay of two months or more, it might be an option to just apply for the PR card and have a friend bring it to you in the UK so you can fly back.

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
Well it was supposed to be only for a few days - that is likely not happening anymore, but I have a place to stay for a few weeks for a PRTD to be issued.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
-There's no problem applying for both at the same time and it's quite logical one would have to do both in your situation. I'd suggest applying for the PR card first (this would get on record you are applying because lost) and include the note in the PRTD app. That said, I'm not certain this is most efficient, just makes sense to me. There are more and more reports of PR card apps being processed quite quickly (likely by machine approval or at least pre-clearance).

-My understanding from posts here is that online PRTD apps can indeed be done before departing and it saves time. That said, again, not 100% certain.

Last edited: