+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Solemn Declaration Processing Time

kArun1

Apr 15, 2021
Hi Eniola,

I know it can be extremely frustrating but it is what it is.

I have been in a similar situation. I arrived as a PR last year in September. My wife's card arrived in February 2023. Mine didn't. I sent a Solemn Declaration (SD) in mid-Feb that IRCC received in mid-March. I got an update yesterday with the good news that my new card had been mailed. Hoping to receive it shortly!

The last time I checked, the processing time for SD was ~90 days from the day IRCC receives one's SD. For me, it would have taken more than 5 months since they received my SD, more than 6 months since I sent the SD, and almost a year since I arrived in Canada.

I wish that your SD does not take as long and your card is mailed before mid-September. While I am sure that my case was an aberration, you should be prepared to wait for at least three months after they confirm receipt of your SD (which could be different from when it was delivered). You won't get to hear anything except when they print and mail your new card.

If you don't hear anything and are stressed, you should call IRCC at +1(888)242-2100 (press 2 to skip UCI, and 340 immediately after that to connect directly). Unfortunately, those calls may still not help much as the agent will only be able to tell you if and when IRCC received your SD and whether the office in charge has started working on it. If it gets super-late (as it happened in my case), the IRCC agent can trigger an escalation that the office has to respond to within 60 days.

The last resort, if gets super-duper delayed, is to reach out to your local MP over email. The MP's office will assign a case manager to you who can help get responses directly from the office. This should be the last resort if you don't hear anything positive till mid-October. The MP's office may not be able to help much if the processing timelines haven't been exceeded yet.

I hope you don't have to go through any of this and you get your card before/within September.

Best of luck!
Hey, 6 months is pretty bad to be honest. Hope they are able to process it faster now. What I don't get is what do you mean it took them 1 month to receive it? Was the mail slow or was their acknowledgement of receipt slow?
Also, did you have to provide your photos again or was the declaration alone enough?