+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card residency obligations - medical

KPS

Nov 28, 2011
Hello all,
I apologize if this question has already been asked. My internet connection is very slow and I am not able to look through all the topics created. Anyway, I had a quick question. My parents are both seniors and retired (66 and 71). They got their PR in July 2007 so it will expire in July 2012. They have been in the country for about 19 months (since receiving their PR they have traveled back and forth). They cannot handle the winter and get very depressed here. As a result, we are sending them back for a few months and they will return in march.

By the date of expiry of their PR card, they may be short a couple of weeks. THe reason for this is that they were out of the country for over a year in the 2010-2011 period because they were receiving medical treatment. My mother dislocated her shoulder after falling off a train and had vision issues because of a blood vessel leakage in her retina. The treatment time for both conditions and rehabilitation time prevented them from traveling. Will I be able to use this to explain why they may be short a some time and not meet the 730 days? I think they'll be about 710 days at renewal time. I can make sure to provide doctor's notes to prove that treatment was being done.

Please advise. Thank you so much for your time.

Also, do they start processing the pr after it's expiry date. If I send it in April (it expires in July), will theyw ait until july to start processing it?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should rather let it expire and let them stay until they have 730 days. If that is not possible, you can try applying using the medical care as H&C reasons but the problem is that if you apply with less than 730 days, your application is likely to take a lot longer so they might be stuck in Canada for a year anyway while they wait for that. For the winter, send them to Vancouver where it is a bit warmer and buy them those daylight lamps.

KPS

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks for your help, Leon! I would love to send my parents to Vancouver for the winter but we dont' have any family there. They live with me and I support them financially. It isn't cheap to have them go back and forth, but it keeps them sane so I'll do what I have to do to make sure they are happy.

Unfortunately, they don't drive nor do they work, so they are stuck at home all winter long. They are older so it's hard for them to venture out on their own. They don't speak much English, either, so that is also a problem. They'd love to volunteer somewhere but thel anguage barrier is a problem.

Anyway, when it comes to the 730 days, does the 730 day countdown begin the day they landed and got their PR status at the airport (as stamped on their passport - july 7) or does the 730 day countdown begin from the day printed on the PR card (July 23)?

Thanks againf or your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you tried to find some other people from your country to chat with? Maybe they also have parents. It would be a nice thing for your parents if they found someone they can meet once a week or more often for a chat.

The residency requirements must be met in their first 5 years as PR's and any rolling 5 year period after that. If you apply for their PR renewal before they have been PR for 5 years yet, they will look at if they are still able to meet their 730 days within their first 5 years. If you apply later, say on July 23rd, they will look at July 23rd 2007 until July 23rd 2012.