+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal

ripujit

Aug 16, 2017
Oakville, Ontario
Hello Guys! I have a little query about the PR CARD RENEWAL process.

My mother became a PR on November 30, 2018. However, the expiry date on her PR Card is March 2, 2024. Currently she has remained out of country for 1098 days. I understand that for a renewal application the residency requirement is to have remained outside Canada for less than 1095 days. Since the portal automatically traces it 5 years preceding the date of application the only way for her to make up for those 4 days is if I apply for renewal on or after 22nd March 2019 because that was when she first left Canada as a PR hence adding to the days of her absence from Canada.

Now since her PR card expires on March 2, 2024 is there any problem applying for her RENEWAL application after the expiry of her current PR. Are there any negatives to it ?

As a matter of fact she was stuck in the US for about 660 days in the period in between because of the Borders being closed due to Covid and everything .. which I am sure can be a pleaded in her case as she is only short by 4 days ? Kinda confused which option to fall to ...

Any expert guidance will be truly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My mother became a PR on November 30, 2019. However, the expiry date on her PR Card is March 2, 2024. Currently she has remained out of country for 1098 days. I understand that for a renewal application the residency requirement is to have remained outside Canada for less than 1095 days. Since the portal automatically traces it 5 years preceding the date of application the only way for her to make up for those 4 days is if I apply for renewal on or after 22nd March 2029 because that was when she first left Canada as a PR hence adding to the days of her absence from Canada.
These dates don't make sense to me on a number of levels, but will leave the arithmetic and date checking to you.

Now since her PR card expires on March 2, 2024 is there any problem applying for her RENEWAL application after the expiry of her current PR. Are there any negatives to it ?
Short form: if she is IN Canada, and remaining in Canada, no, there are basically no negatives to waiting until she is in compliance (i.e. the date after which the number of days outside Canada from the previous five years is less than 1095 days).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

My mother became a PR on November 30, 2019. However, the expiry date on her PR Card is March 2, 2024. Currently she has remained out of country for 1098 days. I understand that for a renewal application the residency requirement is to have remained outside Canada for less than 1095 days. Since the portal automatically traces it 5 years preceding the date of application the only way for her to make up for those 4 days is if I apply for renewal on or after 22nd March 2029 because that was when she first left Canada as a PR hence adding to the days of her absence from Canada.

As a matter of fact she was stuck in the US for about 660 days in the period in between because of the Borders being closed due to Covid and everything .. which I am sure can be a pleaded in her case as she is only short by 4 days ? Kinda confused which option to fall to ...

I am NO expert and cannot provide "expert guidance." For that she would need to consult with a qualified legal professional, an immigration lawyer. And yeah, that would cost money (free consultations are generally worth little more than what you pay for).

@armoured succinctly stated the main thing. I can offer some observations that expand on that with explanations:

Main observation, @armoured clearly stated, is that if she is IN Canada, she is most likely OK. All she has to do is stay, and NOT apply for a new PR card UNTIL she has stayed long enough that she has spent more than 730 days IN Canada within the previous five years.

So, YES, if she is here in Canada it is OK to let the PR card expire without applying for a new one (for "renewal").

So, in regards to the question: "Now since her PR card expires on March 2, 2024 is there any problem applying for her RENEWAL application after the expiry of her current PR. Are there any negatives to it ?"

No, letting the PR card expire and applying for a renewal later, after the first PR card expires, does NOT cause any problems. The PR needs to be IN Canada, when making this application for a new/renewed PR card, and they should be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation on the day they make that application . . . and of course continue to be in RO compliance after applying.

But yes, there are some negatives. If the PR goes outside Canada before getting a new PR card they will need a PR Travel Document to fly back to Canada. If they need to make an application for provincial health care coverage they MIGHT have a problem qualifying for that if they do not have a currently valid PR card. But letting the PR card expire does NOT have any negative effect on a person's status as a Canadian (as a Canadian PR).

Beyond that . . . currently IN Canada or outside Canada?

This makes a difference, and potentially (depending on the particular details) could make a big, big difference.

As already noted, if she is currently IN Canada, she is almost certainly OK, in terms of her PR status . . . despite the fact of being outside Canada so much as to currently be in breach of the RO. She just needs to stay long enough to get into RO compliance (be here at least 730 days within the previous five years) before leaving Canada and before making an application for a new PR card.

If she is currently OUTSIDE Canada, that is very different situation. It is different enough I will not attempt to address that scenario here UNLESS you report she is currently outside Canada and offer clarification as to dates and some particular details as to the periods of time IN Canada and outside Canada. In particular, if she is currently OUTSIDE Canada, the details specific to her situation matter, especially particular dates. Leading to . . .

Beyond that . . . the dates you reference appear to be inaccurate in some respects. (As @armoured also noted.)

Here are the dates you reference:

-- date of landing: November 30, 2019​
-- date first PR card expires: March 2, 2024​
-- and prospective date of application for new PR card: 22nd March 2029 because that was when she first left Canada as a PR​

I am guessing there are some typographical errors here. Note, for example, the first PR card issued would be valid for FIVE years, and it is just plain not at all likely she was issued a PR card that expired in less than five years from the date of landing; in particular, if the date of landing was in November 2019, there is no way the PR card would expire in March 2024 or anytime prior to November 2024 at the soonest.

And the reference to March 2029 (more than five years from now) makes no sense.

I will not try to guess what you meant, but will offer some observations based on a simple what-if scenario. All these observations are based on her being currently present IN Canada, leaving aside any discussion for scenarios in which she is currently NOT in Canada -- again, if she is currently NOT in Canada, that is a different enough situation it warrants its own discussion understanding that, understanding that she is NOT currently IN Canada, and for that to be a meaningful discussion we would need more clarity as to the particular dates involved.

What if scenario based on November 2018 landing and PR card expires in March 2024:

If she landed and became a PR in November 2018, and is currently IN Canada but has been outside Canada more than 1095 days within the previous five years, she is currently in breach of the RO, meets the definition of inadmissible, and she should stay here long enough to meet the RO BEFORE making an application for a new PR card. As long as she is here and stays, there is no problem doing that.

The March 2029 date you threw out as a possible date to apply for a new PR card makes no sense . . .
. . . well, again if HERE, here NOW, she could wait that long without that in anyway having a negative impact on her PR status . . . if she is here and does not leave, and she has health care coverage and such, in a province like Ontario she could indeed probably put off making a PR card application to March 2029 without that being a problem. There is NO need to apply for or obtain a renewed PR card in order to keep valid PR status. However, she should be able to apply for a new PR card much, much sooner than that.​

As soon as she has been IN Canada more than 730 days within the preceding five years, as of that day she is in compliance with the RO, and as of that date it would be OK to make an application for a new PR card. So assuming she is HERE, that is here NOW, she will be for-sure OK to make a PR card application, at the very latest, when she has stayed here TWO years from when she last arrived here.

Note: If she landed in November 2018, she is already past the fifth year anniversary of landing, so the number of days outside Canada since landing are no longer relevant. What is relevant now is the number of days IN/outside Canada within the last five years, as of any day a RO compliance calculation is made.

An Example: if first PR card is expired, or the PR has already been a PR for at least five years, and they make a PR card application April 3, 2024 (just a bit less than three months from now), they will be OK if they have been IN Canada at least 730 days between April 3, 2019 and April 3, 2024 (another way of saying this, which is the way it works in question 5.5 in the PR card application, is she will be in RO compliance and OK to make the application if the total number of days outside Canada between April 3, 2019 and April 3, 2024 is fewer than 1095).

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thank you!
Is your mom currently in Canada? If so, as long as she doesn't plan to leave any time soon, she is OK with an expired PR card. She can just wait until she meet her RO again and then apply for PR card renewal. DO not apply for renewal knowing that she is 4 days short of meeting her RO.
(I am confused with your numbers as well. SO I will leave you to do the math and check)

Last edited:

ripujit

Aug 16, 2017
Oakville, Ontario
These dates don't make sense to me on a number of levels, but will leave the arithmetic and date checking to you.

Short form: if she is IN Canada, and remaining in Canada, no, there are basically no negatives to waiting until she is in compliance (i.e. the date after which the number of days outside Canada from the previous five years is less than 1095 days).
Thank you for the reply!
I've fixed the typos on the date errors!

Reactions: armoured

ripujit

Aug 16, 2017
Oakville, Ontario
I am NO expert and cannot provide "expert guidance." For that she would need to consult with a qualified legal professional, an immigration lawyer. And yeah, that would cost money (free consultations are generally worth little more than what you pay for).

@armoured succinctly stated the main thing. I can offer some observations that expand on that with explanations:

Main observation, @armoured clearly stated, is that if she is IN Canada, she is most likely OK. All she has to do is stay, and NOT apply for a new PR card UNTIL she has stayed long enough that she has spent more than 730 days IN Canada within the previous five years.

So, YES, if she is here in Canada it is OK to let the PR card expire without applying for a new one (for "renewal").

So, in regards to the question: "Now since her PR card expires on March 2, 2024 is there any problem applying for her RENEWAL application after the expiry of her current PR. Are there any negatives to it ?"

No, letting the PR card expire and applying for a renewal later, after the first PR card expires, does NOT cause any problems. The PR needs to be IN Canada, when making this application for a new/renewed PR card, and they should be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation on the day they make that application . . . and of course continue to be in RO compliance after applying.

But yes, there are some negatives. If the PR goes outside Canada before getting a new PR card they will need a PR Travel Document to fly back to Canada. If they need to make an application for provincial health care coverage they MIGHT have a problem qualifying for that if they do not have a currently valid PR card. But letting the PR card expire does NOT have any negative effect on a person's status as a Canadian (as a Canadian PR).

Beyond that . . . currently IN Canada or outside Canada?

This makes a difference, and potentially (depending on the particular details) could make a big, big difference.

As already noted, if she is currently IN Canada, she is almost certainly OK, in terms of her PR status . . . despite the fact of being outside Canada so much as to currently be in breach of the RO. She just needs to stay long enough to get into RO compliance (be here at least 730 days within the previous five years) before leaving Canada and before making an application for a new PR card.

If she is currently OUTSIDE Canada, that is very different situation. It is different enough I will not attempt to address that scenario here UNLESS you report she is currently outside Canada and offer clarification as to dates and some particular details as to the periods of time IN Canada and outside Canada. In particular, if she is currently OUTSIDE Canada, the details specific to her situation matter, especially particular dates. Leading to . . .

Beyond that . . . the dates you reference appear to be inaccurate in some respects. (As @armoured also noted.)

Here are the dates you reference:

-- date of landing: November 30, 2019​
-- date first PR card expires: March 2, 2024​
-- and prospective date of application for new PR card: 22nd March 2029 because that was when she first left Canada as a PR​

I am guessing there are some typographical errors here. Note, for example, the first PR card issued would be valid for FIVE years, and it is just plain not at all likely she was issued a PR card that expired in less than five years from the date of landing; in particular, if the date of landing was in November 2019, there is no way the PR card would expire in March 2024 or anytime prior to November 2024 at the soonest.

And the reference to March 2029 (more than five years from now) makes no sense.

I will not try to guess what you meant, but will offer some observations based on a simple what-if scenario. All these observations are based on her being currently present IN Canada, leaving aside any discussion for scenarios in which she is currently NOT in Canada -- again, if she is currently NOT in Canada, that is a different enough situation it warrants its own discussion understanding that, understanding that she is NOT currently IN Canada, and for that to be a meaningful discussion we would need more clarity as to the particular dates involved.

What if scenario based on November 2018 landing and PR card expires in March 2024:

If she landed and became a PR in November 2018, and is currently IN Canada but has been outside Canada more than 1095 days within the previous five years, she is currently in breach of the RO, meets the definition of inadmissible, and she should stay here long enough to meet the RO BEFORE making an application for a new PR card. As long as she is here and stays, there is no problem doing that.

The March 2029 date you threw out as a possible date to apply for a new PR card makes no sense . . .
. . . well, again if HERE, here NOW, she could wait that long without that in anyway having a negative impact on her PR status . . . if she is here and does not leave, and she has health care coverage and such, in a province like Ontario she could indeed probably put off making a PR card application to March 2029 without that being a problem. There is NO need to apply for or obtain a renewed PR card in order to keep valid PR status. However, she should be able to apply for a new PR card much, much sooner than that.​

As soon as she has been IN Canada more than 730 days within the preceding five years, as of that day she is in compliance with the RO, and as of that date it would be OK to make an application for a new PR card. So assuming she is HERE, that is here NOW, she will be for-sure OK to make a PR card application, at the very latest, when she has stayed here TWO years from when she last arrived here.

Note: If she landed in November 2018, she is already past the fifth year anniversary of landing, so the number of days outside Canada since landing are no longer relevant. What is relevant now is the number of days IN/outside Canada within the last five years, as of any day a RO compliance calculation is made.

An Example: if first PR card is expired, or the PR has already been a PR for at least five years, and they make a PR card application April 3, 2024 (just a bit less than three months from now), they will be OK if they have been IN Canada at least 730 days between April 3, 2019 and April 3, 2024 (another way of saying this, which is the way it works in question 5.5 in the PR card application, is she will be in RO compliance and OK to make the application if the total number of days outside Canada between April 3, 2019 and April 3, 2024 is fewer than 1095).
Thank you for the detailed reply on my query!
Super sorry on the typos I made on the dates entered.
She is in Canada, I understand that it is better for us to wait out till she meets the RO and apply thereafter.

Thank you once again!

ripujit

Aug 16, 2017
Oakville, Ontario
Is your mom currently in Canada? If so, as long as she doesn't plan to leave any time soon, she is OK with an expired PR card. She can just wait until she meet her RO again and then apply for PR card renewal. DO not apply for renewal knowing that she is 4 days short of meeting her RO.
(I am confused with your numbers as well. SO I will leave you to do the math and check)
She is here and I will only apply once she has met the RO!
Thank you for taking time out to reply to my query!

Reactions: YVR123

faiqsheikh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Hello guys,

I applied for my mother's PR renewal card on dated 15 May 2023, and still we are waiting for the same. No. of days has not been completed just because of health issue and covid-19. She visited in March 2023, till dated she is in Edmonton, Canada. (More than 370 days)

- After 08 months, on 28 December 2023, we received an email from IRCC office in order to resubmit photo and updated address.
- On 04th January 2024, photo received by officer confirmed by courier.
- On 13th February 2024, that PHOTO has been received and case is under review. In this regard, we approached to MPA office and got update on dated 29th February, through MPA office that:

' FILE TRANSFERED TO MONTREAL OFFICE FOR RESIDENCY OBLIGATION REVIEW"

' NO PROCESSING TIME APPLIES TO THE THIS APPLICATION'

Please do help me in this regard as how long would it take to process the same once the file has been forwarded to Montreal office.

Secondly, my mother needs to go to home country in first week of April. Is it safe to go without PR card and return to Canada with PRTD document.

Will she easily get PRTD document as case is under review.