+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello All - Firstly thank you for all the guidance.

If my PR card is up for renewal around 2025 and I spend 740 days in Canada, but I am abroad when the PR expiry happens, I understand that I cannot renew my PR card from outside Canada. Can you still apply for the PRTD? What is the step after PRTD - coming back to Canada and re-applying for the PR Card renewal?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure you can apply for a PRTD which can only be applied for from outside Canada as long as at the time of applying you have met the residency obligation. On return to Canada you will still need to have met the RO when you enter at the POE and also when you apply to renew your PR card.

Keep in mind that the residency obligation requires 2 years out of 5 from initial landing . Then after the first 5 years 2 years out of 5 years preceding each new entry to Canada so the time in the first 5 years starts to expire over time.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hello All - Firstly thank you for all the guidance.

If my PR card is up for renewal around 2025 and I spend 740 days in Canada, but I am abroad when the PR expiry happens, I understand that I cannot renew my PR card from outside Canada. Can you still apply for the PRTD? What is the step after PRTD - coming back to Canada and re-applying for the PR Card renewal?
You should also aim to spend more than 740 days in Canada as that is cutting it very close and will likely lead to delays as they make sure you've actually met your RO. If you are abroad without a valid PR card, you are legally presumed to have lost your PR status, and must continue to meet the RO with respect to every five year period preceding the day on which you apply for a PRTD or seek entry to Canada.

samirtaneja

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
For my PR renewal application I got the AOR on November 10th 2021 and after 5-7 days I have checked the online status and it was showing decision made. But I haven’t heard anything till date. It still showing decision made. Can anyone tell me when I can expect the PR card

OmarSarfraz

Jul 25, 2014
For my PR renewal application I got the AOR on November 10th 2021 and after 5-7 days I have checked the online status and it was showing decision made. But I haven’t heard anything till date. It still showing decision made. Can anyone tell me when I can expect the PR card
When did you send your PR renewal application?