+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

? PR Card renewal via Portal versus Paper application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok good to know. Then what would be the purpose of the PR card renewal? I thought the PR card renewal will give them the chance to verify the RO as they aren't aware of our exits. If they have our entry and exits, they can calculate the RO themselves. I don't understand why we need to renew the PR card then.
PR card is a travel document. It shows proof of your PR status so you’re able to enter Canada by air. PR card and residency requirements are separate things. For the first 5 years it gives you an idea of whether you meet your RO. After the first 5 years you must meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day. For example you can not meet your RO but still fly to Canada using your PR card.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Because that's NOT how it works.

You have to provide the details of any and all absences from Canada when you complete the PR Card renewal application. IRCC may or may not seek CBSA records to corroborate that information, but it is NOT their job to figure out if you have or have not met the Residency Obligation to maintain PR status.

Does that make sense now?
I recently submitted my PR card renewal application. I provided all the absences. Whose job is it to confirm if we meet RO or not?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recently submitted my PR card renewal application. I provided all the absences. Whose job is it to confirm if we meet RO or not?
IRCC.

Just curious...did you include any supporting evidence (bank statements, CRA NOA, etc.), or just your written Travel History?

The Guide seems to indicate that only those that have been absent from Canada for more than 1095 days need supporting evidence (items from Appendix A).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR card is a travel document. It shows proof of your PR status so you’re able to enter Canada by air. PR card and residency requirements are separate things. For the first 5 years it gives you an idea of whether you meet your RO. After the first 5 years you must meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day. For example you can not meet your RO but still fly to Canada using your PR card.
Sorry, don't mean to get caught up on semantics, but...

A valid PR card is required to travel to Canada by air. Entering Canada occurs when you encounter the first CBSA officer, where even an expired PR Card can be used...but with a likely longer inspection of the PR.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
IRCC.

Just curious...did you include any supporting evidence (bank statements, CRA NOA, etc.), or just your written Travel History?

The Guide seems to indicate that only those that have been absent from Canada for more than 1095 days need supporting evidence (items from Appendix A).
They dont want any supporting documents with application. They dont ask. People who meet RO will have no issue giving those documents. Me and others have no RO issue but still PR cards are stuck at printing, which force applicants to cancel travel plans and incur unnecessary cost and stress for prtd. It’s upto ircc to verify absences or just allow applicants send documents proving presence with applications.

Reactions: krishere1982

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
IRCC.

And this doesn’t make sense. Whoever is not meeting RO, will not apply for renewal. They would apply for H & C renewal along with supporting docs. Those who are not absent for >1095 will only apply for renewal. Why would they even ask that is beyond me. If someone has more absences than 1095 days, their card will not be renewed anyways. Dont know why they ask for supporting docs in that case. Those who are present more than 730 days have no reason to provide docs, nor ircc make them send docs.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And this doesn’t make sense. Whoever is not meeting RO, will not apply for renewal. They would apply for H & C renewal along with supporting docs. Those who are not absent for >1095 will only apply for renewal. Why would they even ask that is beyond me. If someone has more absences than 1095 days, their card will not be renewed anyways. Dont know why they ask for supporting docs in that case. Those who are present more than 730 days have no reason to provide docs, nor ircc make them send docs.
Did you give consent for IRCC to get travel history from CBSA? If so...

The problem is that an entry/exit record doesn't seem to actually `prove' that the PR was in Canada between those dates; only that an entry or an exit occurred on that particular date. This is why they (sometimes) want to see evidence of daily life while the PR is reporting to have been in Canada (banking records, ATM transactions, utility bills, etc.). It just keeps getting crazier and crazier, but it's their system.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
IRCC.

No I just mentioned travel history. Didn't provide any other evidence, as my absence was less than 1095 days.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Did you give consent for IRCC to get travel history from CBSA? If so...

The problem is that an entry/exit record doesn't seem to actually `prove' that the PR was in Canada between those dates; only that an entry or an exit occurred on that particular date. This is why they (sometimes) want to see evidence of daily life while the PR is reporting to have been in Canada (banking records, ATM transactions, utility bills, etc.). It just keeps getting crazier and crazier, but it's their system.
I am sorry, but that sounds absurd! Do they think that we teleport ourselves out of the country and get back between those dates?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sorry, but that sounds absurd! Do they think that we teleport ourselves out of the country and get back between those dates?
Never said it made sense, only that it's not concrete proof (at least to IRCC) of being in Canada.

Did you at least tick the box giving them access to CBSA records???

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Never said it made sense, only that it's not concrete proof (at least to IRCC) of being in Canada.

Did you at least tick the box giving them access to CBSA records???
Yes I did check that box and the other one too for CRA I think.