+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal-Supporting Documents

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hi All,

I'm renewing my PR card, I am a little confused with supporting documents. I'm way above 1300 days of physical presence.

1. Passport - My original passport where my PR stamp was there expired. I now have a new passport. Should I submit both ? or just the latest one is sufficient ?
- Are just bio pages needed or All pages ? My PR card expires in 3 months, and I'm having a travel coming up, so want to avoid any delays. Please suggest based on your experie

2. Fee Receipt

3. PR Card front and Back

4. Checklist

Is there anything else I'm missing ? I was outside of Canada for 8 months while on Maternity leave. I Was accompanying my Canadian spouse. So I'm guessing I need to provide proof of his citizenship and our marriage. My absence is around 300 days in total including time accompanying spouse, so I'm not worried about meeting RO. However want to be cautious and not cause delays.

I am planning to submit his
- Citizenship Certificate - Unable to find the right document type for this in the dropdown
-Marriage certificate

Please let me know if I'm missing anything

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I'm renewing my PR card, I am a little confused with supporting documents. I'm way above 1300 days of physical presence.

1. Passport - My original passport where my PR stamp was there expired. I now have a new passport. Should I submit both ? or just the latest one is sufficient ?
- Are just bio pages needed or All pages ? My PR card expires in 3 months, and I'm having a travel coming up, so want to avoid any delays. Please suggest based on your experie

2. Fee Receipt

3. PR Card front and Back

4. Checklist

Is there anything else I'm missing ? I was outside of Canada for 8 months while on Maternity leave. I Was accompanying my Canadian spouse. So I'm guessing I need to provide proof of his citizenship and our marriage. My absence is around 300 days in total including time accompanying spouse, so I'm not worried about meeting RO. However want to be cautious and not cause delays.

I am planning to submit his
- Citizenship Certificate - Unable to find the right document type for this in the dropdown
-Marriage certificate

Please let me know if I'm missing anything
1. You can use your expired passport if you want to, but...no real reason to do so:
  • A copy of one of the following primary identity documents:
    • your valid passport or travel document or
    • the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
    • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country.
You only need a copy of the biometric page.

Where did you see that you need your spouse's citizenship and marriage docs? The checklist doesn't ask for them.

Additional documents you may need to complete and submit, if they apply:

• Proof of residency requirement: if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years, provide supporting documents as they apply to you based on the situations outlined in Appendix A: Residency Obligation.
Since you have NOT spent 1095 days or more outside of Canada, you do NOT need to include anything from Appendix A. If you needed to have credit for the days that you were abroad with your Canadian spouse, you would need to provide documents.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

You also need to provide photo(s) that meet the photo specs for the new card.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi
I have to renew my mothers PR card in sometime ( its expiring in 2023)
She landed in 2018 and became a pr then
She meets the residency obligation required for renewal

She’s unemployed but files her tax since 2021
She also has her bank statements from 2021 only and her photo id card only
I have no proof of residency from 2018 to 2020 except for the passport dates

kindly advise

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
I have to renew my mothers PR card in sometime ( its expiring in 2023)
She landed in 2018 and became a pr then
She meets the residency obligation required for renewal

She’s unemployed but files her tax since 2021
She also has her bank statements from 2021 only and her photo id card only
I have no proof of residency from 2018 to 2020 except for the passport dates

kindly advise
It would appear that all PRs that are declaring that they have been IN Canada for 730 days or more, when applying to renew their PR Card, are relying on their Exit/Entry data from CBSA to show they have met the R.O. to IRCC. A PR does not get passport stamps one they are a PR.

Since IRCC ONLY asks for supporting documents for those that have been abroad for 1095 days or more, it seems as though [IRCC] don't need anything more. If your mother's Travel History dates shows that she's been in Canada for at least 730 days since becoming a PR in 2018, she shouldn't have any issues.

Just follow the document checklist for the renewal; no need to add anything that's not requested/required.

Reactions: YVR123

pointers

Oct 24, 2016
Hi

I am going to apply for renewal of my and family PR Cards. Need to clarify for kids application that:
1. Birth certificates are require to submit even with PR renewal?
2. School certificates are require since in Canada?

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I am going to apply for renewal of my and family PR Cards. Need to clarify for kids application that:
1. Birth certificates are require to submit even with PR renewal?
2. School certificates are require since in Canada?

Thanks
Just follow the instructions and the Document Checklist of what is required.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi
I m going to renew my mothers Pr card going to expire soon in 2023 december
She became a pr in October 2018.
Does she need to give biometrics for this renewal ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
I m going to renew my mothers Pr card going to expire soon in 2023 december
She became a pr in October 2018.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/search/23069385/?q=biometrics+pr+card+renewal&o=relevance

Based on your info, your mother will not need biometrics to renew her PR Card.

From iRCC:

Biometrics
Most PR card applicants do not need to give biometrics.

However, you’ll need to give your biometrics and pay the biometrics fee if

you were less than 14 years old when we received your application for permanent residence and you applied for permanent residence on or after July 31, 2018, AND
you’re now older than 14 years old and are applying for a new permanent resident card, a replacement or a renewal
---

Reactions: V1

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/search/23069385/?q=biometrics+pr+card+renewal&o=relevance

Based on your info, your mother will not need biometrics to renew her PR Card.

From iRCC:

Biometrics
Most PR card applicants do not need to give biometrics.

However, you’ll need to give your biometrics and pay the biometrics fee if

you were less than 14 years old when we received your application for permanent residence and you applied for permanent residence on or after July 31, 2018, AND
you’re now older than 14 years old and are applying for a new permanent resident card, a replacement or a renewal
---
Sorry Sir if I couldn’t understand well
But doesn’t she fall in the latter category
“you’re now older than 14 years old and are applying for a new permanent resident card, a replacement or a renewal”

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry Sir if I couldn’t understand well
But doesn’t she fall in the latter category
“you’re now older than 14 years old and are applying for a new permanent resident card, a replacement or a renewal”
You missed the most important word...the AND after ,2018! ;)

V1

May 24, 2023
You missed the most important word...the AND after ,2018! ;)

Hi,

Can you please let me know if I can apply for the PR card for my kid (7 yrs) online? or is there an option to apply for PR cards as a Family or Group?

Best regards.

noblejn

Jun 15, 2017
It would appear that all PRs that are declaring that they have been IN Canada for 730 days or more, when applying to renew their PR Card, are relying on their Exit/Entry data from CBSA to show they have met the R.O. to IRCC. A PR does not get passport stamps one they are a PR.

Since IRCC ONLY asks for supporting documents for those that have been abroad for 1095 days or more, it seems as though [IRCC] don't need anything more. If your mother's Travel History dates shows that she's been in Canada for at least 730 days since becoming a PR in 2018, she shouldn't have any issues.

Just follow the document checklist for the renewal; no need to add anything that's not requested/required.
The new IMM 5644 (04-2023) does not have the 1095 days part.

It just says " Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years immediately before the application"

Does that mean we need to provide proof even if we stayed more than 730 days