+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Question

pred8er

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi All,

In order to renew my PR Card (every 5 years) I have to stay in Canada for at least 2 of the 5 years in order to qualify.

What would happen if my wife (who is a Canadian Citizen) and I moved out of the country (togethor) does that time count also towards the 2 years?

thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pred8er said:
Hi All,

In order to renew my PR Card (every 5 years) I have to stay in Canada for at least 2 of the 5 years in order to qualify.

What would happen if my wife (who is a Canadian Citizen) and I moved out of the country (togethor) does that time count also towards the 2 years?

thanks!
Yes

pred8er

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
thanks for the info, my wife just picked up a long term contract 3+ years in Australia and this is just after i completed my landing and PR this month :(

pred8er

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
quick follow-up question:

when I apply for the renewal of the PR card, do we need to show we were out of the country?

If we needed to prove that we are living together we could prove that through bank statements would that suffice?

thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you apply to renew your PR card, you have to list your whereabouts in the previous 5 years so you should start keeping track of your travel dates right now. If you have been outside Canada for 1095 days or more, you fill out another section where you put down your excuses. One of the accepted excuses is that you are accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. You can look at the renewal form here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

If they ask you for proof, it would be good to have something like bank statements or phone bills.