+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Query

pk2000

Feb 7, 2012
Hi,

I got my PR in Dec 2009 & is valid until Jan 2015. I spend 40 days in Canada then travelled back UK.

I am planning to move back to Canada next year Dec 2013 means 13 months will be remaining before my PR card will expire.

My question "Is it compulsory to extend PR card when it will expire or I can live, work without extending it & can renew when I will complete 730 in 2016" as I am not planning to do any travel.

I will appreciate if someone will answer it.

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless they change the rules in the meantime, this would be possible as long as you don't get reported for not meeting the requirements as you enter. It is not against the law to let your PR card expire. It is not against the law to live and work in Canada after it expires. There is even a clause in the immigration rules and states that if a PR has been away for many years and comes back and lives in Canada for 2 years, they qualify to renew their PR card. However, it could happen as you enter that the immigration officers suspect or know that you will not be able to meet the requirements and they could decide to report you for it. If that happens, you may enter Canada and appeal for your PR but you could lose the appeal and lose your PR.
Currently, they don't seem to be reporting people very often though.