+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - PRTD?

fhamdani

Oct 30, 2012
Hi all

My PR Card is expiring end of September and I have already applied for a new PR Card last month. However with the 160 days for processing, this has left me a bit worried as my wife is pregnant in the US and I do need to go to her in the next few months. Is there a way I can expedite the process and would my situation allow for a quicker application turnaround?

Is there another way I can leave and enter Canada? I looked into the PRTD but I was unclear if that applies to someone like me and I think the processing times for PRTD wouldnt make it feasible if I wanted to go to the US a few times for few weeks each. Essentially if I wanted to go to the US in October ( and my PR card hasn't been renewed by then) for a few weeks would a PRTD even work given that a PRTD seems to take a while to process as well.

Thanks!

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Hi all

My PR Card is expiring end of September and I have already applied for a new PR Card last month. However with the 160 days for processing, this has left me a bit worried as my wife is pregnant in the US and I do need to go to her in the next few months. Is there a way I can expedite the process and would my situation allow for a quicker application turnaround?

Is there another way I can leave and enter Canada? I looked into the PRTD but I was unclear if that applies to someone like me and I think the processing times for PRTD wouldnt make it feasible if I wanted to go to the US a few times for few weeks each. Essentially if I wanted to go to the US in October ( and my PR card hasn't been renewed by then) for a few weeks would a PRTD even work given that a PRTD seems to take a while to process as well.

Thanks!
I believe you can come over and back by road. This however is at the discretion of the border guard. The times may reduce if the officers get back to full time work but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What passport do you have ? Some on here have tried their luck boarding a plane if they have a US passport although until the current US/Canada restrictions have eased this probably would not work as would have a hard time persuading anybody at airline checkin that it was essential travel even a wifes pregnancy

As above you could try the land border with an expired PR card although from Texas this is probably not practical although maybe fly to nearest US/Canada border crossing could work. Again still may have issues with essential travel and quarantine requirements if they are still in place which to put into some perspective people have even reported issues attending funerals cross border so the definition of essential can be difficult to interpret and even inconsistent how it is applied.

Unfortunately there is no published processing time for a PRTD