+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal or staright to citizenship

SHIVAAY

Star Member
Oct 27, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am in Toronto. I am due to apply for my citizenship this month. But my PR card is only valid till Jan 2018.

Should I apply for citizenship straight and forget about renewal of PR card ?

Do I need to apply for citizenship and renewal of PR card. I do not think I will be traveling anywhere until next year March-April 2018.

How long is the citizenship process?
Thanks

niting80

Star Member
Mar 4, 2017
Winnipeg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
2 Dec 2012
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2013
I think the bottom line would be - what you want to do and where you feel more comfortable!

The timeline for citizenship varies a lot. Official IRCC suggests average 1 year timeline. But then some people get it sooner, some people get additional steps in their process like application return due to incomplete application or incorrect information or some may get fingerprint requests. Lately applicants from Toronto / Mississauga on Feb & March timeline have been reporting that application for no one on the forum has moved for over 1-2 months. On the other side, applicants from Alberta are being called for oath the same or next day as test. I, from Manitoba, filed in early March, have passed test, and now waiting on oath invite.

So I can't think of any perfect answer! You could also apply for citizenship, and then requestion this thing around November.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello Everyone,

I am in Toronto. I am due to apply for my citizenship this month. But my PR card is only valid till Jan 2018.

Do I need to apply for citizenship and renewal of PR card. I do not think I will be traveling anywhere until next year March-April 2018.

Thanks
I don't see any disadvantage in applying for citizenship now (with "now" I mean this month, when you are eligible). If by November your application is still in process you can apply for your PR card renewal to be safe. Obviously you can apply for a PR card renewal while your citizenship is in process. There's nothing wrong with that.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

Thanks

I applied,took test,had my oath,...in short I became Canadian even with an expired PR card. Having an expired PR card doesn't mean you've lost your status, you're still a PR even with your expired card. As long as you don't intend on leaving Canada (since you'll need it to enter the country again),having an expired PR card while your application is being processed is no big deal. Hope this helped. Goodluck!

Last edited: