+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal & New - 2022 Processing Timeline

torono24

May 3, 2023
. I was nervous my application was lost in their pile. But they have a system that works for them, it gets done eventually, one hopes, if everything is in order. I arrived in Canada with a buffer period, then stayed in Canada nonstop for 2 years and some more, paid all my taxes, had all entry and exits information based on exits from the US using I-94 records, stamp on passport and air ticket records, so to ensure there was no error. Everyone do the math correctly, double check with a family member or trusted friend, use the exit, entry stamps, ensure you keep your flight ticket information and if possible, do tick the place so they can check CBSA records themselves. Make sure your photos are professionally taken and signed and sealed at the place you take your photographs. I still don't know when I will get the card in mail. I wished there was a way for me to pick it up at a service center so I can have mental peace that it doesn't get lost in mail.

For those waiting, i hope you are in process for a quick turnaround. I know it can be stressful and tough to plan, etc.

My time for PR Card renewal:

March 10th: Mailed Paper Application (because I heard it was faster on this forum earlier) , by registered mail/FedEx
Was able to link last week
AOR March 9th midnight
Approval June 14th (no email, I just checked my linked profile)
Card mailed "We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive. "
Congratulations! Can you please update here when you actually receive the card?

Reactions: wizardofwest90210

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Do you need to submit any document to show you were physically present in Canada for 2 years for PR renewal? I saw Appendix A is asking for documents but not sure if it's required for everyone? What documents are required for PR card renewal?

obee

Jul 16, 2016
I've been following this post for reference so wanted to share my timeline in case it helps anyone:
Online PR Card Renewal Application submitted: 19th March
PR Card Received in Mail: 14th June

I got no AOR, and could never track the application online or link it to gckey. The portal still shows the app status as submitted. Basically, I had no update between submitting the application and receiving the card.

Reactions: YVR123

torono24

May 3, 2023
I've been following this post for reference so wanted to share my timeline in case it helps anyone:
Online PR Card Renewal Application submitted: 19th March
PR Card Received in Mail: 14th June

I got no AOR, and could never track the application online or link it to gckey. The portal still shows the app status as submitted. Basically, I had no update between submitting the application and receiving the card.
Congratulations! How many days between card start date (approval date) and card delivery date? Need to know when my card is arriving in mail as my travel depends on it now.

obee

Jul 16, 2016
Congratulations! How many days between card start date (approval date) and card delivery date? Need to know when my card is arriving in mail as my travel depends on it now.
My cards expiry is June 9th ‘28 so I assume start date is June 9th and I received it on 14th

Reactions: torono24

Andrea1199

Dec 8, 2022
I finally received my PR card. Here is my timeline:

November 1, 2022 - PR card renewal submitted via Permanent Resident Portal.
December 5, 2022 - application was returned stating the reason for the return as "Photos are missing".
December 8, 2022 - re-uploaded the same photos and resubmitted the application. Included a letter of explanation explaining what has been done.
May 30, 2023 - received PR.

The whole process took about 7 months.

nniyyyg

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
I finally received my PR card. Here is my timeline:

November 1, 2022 - PR card renewal submitted via Permanent Resident Portal.
December 5, 2022 - application was returned stating the reason for the return as "Photos are missing".
December 8, 2022 - re-uploaded the same photos and resubmitted the application. Included a letter of explanation explaining what has been done.
May 30, 2023 - received PR.

The whole process took about 7 months.
OOMMMGGGG

torono24

May 3, 2023
No worries

Yes it's in the application guide - Guide IMM5445

"Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card. You can check our current processing times to calculate the approximate time your new PR card will be issued. Keep this in mind prior to making any travel arrangements after applying for a new PR card since you will not be able to return to Canada with the invalid PR card if the new one has been issued and is not in hand"
It turns out this information on IRCC portal is not accurate. My old card was deactivated on the same day as my new card was approved. I can see that on my IRCC portal linked applications. My original PR card has been deactivated. I called IRCC to get clarification on this. They confirmed that my card has been deactivated and told me emphatically to not travel until the new card arrives or plan to come back to Canada using a PRTD. I was going to cancel my trip which commences tonight, but lo and behold my new PR card arrived in mail 3 hours before I was going to leave for the airport. So I am covered now. But I wanted to warn anyone else in the same situation who was planning to rely on the guidance listed on IRCC portal. It's not correct and you should check with IRCC helpline about the same.

Reactions: dimple34

VanMTG

May 4, 2023
Final Update:
PR renewal Paper application received by Sydney office 6th March (Family of 4 applications)
AOR for all 4 applications by email 5th June
Email notifying me of a "status change" - All 4 cards mailed 7th June
2 out of 4 cards received 12th June
2 remaining cards received 15th June

torono24

May 3, 2023
My timeline is now following
Online PR card renewal application --- April 5
No AOR, No email updates
Able to link on IRCC using GCKey --- June 13
Card approval date --- June 9
Card received in mail --- June 15

Thanks to all who helped along the way!

Last edited:

medwiz

May 25, 2014
It turns out this information on IRCC portal is not accurate. My old card was deactivated on the same day as my new card was approved. I can see that on my IRCC portal linked applications. My original PR card has been deactivated. I called IRCC to get clarification on this. They confirmed that my card has been deactivated and told me emphatically to not travel until the new card arrives or plan to come back to Canada using a PRTD. I was going to cancel my trip which commences tonight, but lo and behold my new PR card arrived in mail 3 hours before I was going to leave for the airport. So I am covered now. But I wanted to warn anyone else in the same situation who was planning to rely on the guidance listed on IRCC portal. It's not correct and you should check with IRCC helpline about the same.

Wow...talk about last second!! Good that it arrived!

Thank you for updating us... this is quite strange...but then again what isn't strange with IRCC unfortunately...

Reactions: wizardofwest90210