+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal & New - 2022 Processing Timeline

Bhamarekm

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have one question. I am permanent resident from Oct 2017. With PR CARD expiration date dec 2022.

1. I applied for PR renewal application delivered on 31st May 2022.
I have not received any AOR yet.
2. I applied for citizenship and application delivered on 8th June 2022.
I received AOR on 13th June.

When I tried to track request online for pr card status, it shows my citizenship status but nothing about PR renewal status.

Any clues or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

Bhamarekm

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Strange that officer at Montreal airport asked you address for PR card. never heard of it.
Hi,

Have some similar experience for myself and almost all of my friend.
Our first application to IRCC was for wp from my employer. Employer always gave toronto office address as primary address as it was applied from india. So we got wp in office.
Now during pr application 2017 we provided toronto home address. So was expecting PR card at home. But it was delivered to my office address.
So after that all my friends whoever applied pr called ircc and same story primay address was office address. They updated to home address:).

There is some bug in there system from so long time

arkhan433

Feb 8, 2017
Hi All,
I have a question related to PR card renewal and RO.
We are PR since 28th Jan 2018. We left CA on 17th Feb 2019 (after ~385 days).
We originally planned to stay out of CA for a year but then due to Covid, we couldn't come back. And then we were expecting and couldn't fly and some other medical reasons.
We landed back in CA on the 5th of March 2022. We will be short of 16 days to comply with RO by 28th Jan 2023.
My question is, can we apply for PR renewal after 28th Jan 2023, with 714 days of residence?
Does IRCC have any buffer for such a small number of days for non-compliance?
Hi All,
Anyone, please help.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All,
I have a question related to PR card renewal and RO.
We are PR since 28th Jan 2018. We left CA on 17th Feb 2019 (after ~385 days).
We originally planned to stay out of CA for a year but then due to Covid, we couldn't come back. And then we were expecting and couldn't fly and some other medical reasons.
We landed back in CA on the 5th of March 2022. We will be short of 16 days to comply with RO by 28th Jan 2023.
My question is, can we apply for PR renewal after 28th Jan 2023, with 714 days of residence?
Does IRCC have any buffer for such a small number of days for non-compliance?
General consensus: STAY in Canada and WAIT to apply ONLY when you are in compliance with the Residency Obligation. That is, only when you have been IN Canada 730 days within the relevant five year time period.

PROBLEM for you is that will likely not be until March 2024, two years from the date you returned to Canada. Remember, as of the fifth year anniversary of the date you landed, your compliance with the RO will be based on days IN Canada during the preceding five years. (Basically you cannot meet the RO during your first five years since you were outside Canada more than 1096 days since your landing in 2018, meaning you have been in breach since the day you were outside Canada more than 1096 days since your landing in 2018; so now there is no five year time frame within which you can be IN Canada 730 days until March 2024.)

New PR card application form will allow you to apply and specifically ask for H&C relief allowing you to keep PR status despite your breach of the RO. And an application a year or so after you have arrived back here and are settled here would have a very good, perhaps a near excellent chance of being OK. But you are in breach, so there is no guarantee.

This situation has been discussed in more depth recently in other topics, but I do not have a link handy.

Reactions: Ponga

Isabelle Melo

Jun 10, 2022
I landed in YYZ on May 14th with my husband. I was only able to link my husband's PR process on GCKey last week. However, I couldn't link mine (as a dependent). I tried everything. Does anyone have a tip on how to do this?

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
Hi All,
Anyone, please help.
Yes you can apply. I know many people who are few days short that applied these days and got approved due to issues like covid.

you can apply any day! You just have to count from the day you are applying that if you had physical presence for 2 years in the time frame of 5 years before the day of applying, it is safe to apply.

arkhan433

Feb 8, 2017
General consensus: STAY in Canada and WAIT to apply ONLY when you are in compliance with the Residency Obligation. That is, only when you have been IN Canada 730 days within the relevant five year time period.

PROBLEM for you is that will likely not be until March 2024, two years from the date you returned to Canada. Remember, as of the fifth year anniversary of the date you landed, your compliance with the RO will be based on days IN Canada during the preceding five years. (Basically you cannot meet the RO during your first five years since you were outside Canada more than 1096 days since your landing in 2018, meaning you have been in breach since the day you were outside Canada more than 1096 days since your landing in 2018; so now there is no five year time frame within which you can be IN Canada 730 days until March 2024.)

New PR card application form will allow you to apply and specifically ask for H&C relief allowing you to keep PR status despite your breach of the RO. And an application a year or so after you have arrived back here and are settled here would have a very good, perhaps a near excellent chance of being OK. But you are in breach, so there is no guarantee.

This situation has been discussed in more depth recently in other topics, but I do not have a link handy.
Thanks for a detailed reply.
I am thinking of still going ahead and applying for the renewal after the 28th of March 2023. In the worst case scenario, I might have to provide strong documentation and proof which I am willing to provide. I shall keep you guys updated here.
I just wanted to know if someone else had been in the same situation as I am.

arkhan433

Feb 8, 2017
Yes you can apply. I know many people who are few days short that applied these days and got approved due to issues like covid.

you can apply any day! You just have to count from the day you are applying that if you had physical presence for 2 years in the time frame of 5 years before the day of applying, it is safe to apply.
Thanks for the reply.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Friend landed recently.
How to track pr card application online please?
Thank You
There is an option to link your PR card application to your EE profile. You need to search by entering your details exactly (with spaces / dots) like how it is displayed in CoPR / Passport; It should get linked ...

Nov 14, 2017
Has anyone applied for PR card renewal online? I have attached all required documents, but the submit button is still disabled. I am not sure what I need to do in order to enable it? Documents filled in :
1. IMM 5444
2. IMM 5644
3. Primary identity document (passport)
4. Photos (front and back)
5. PR card
6. Fee payment receipt
7. Consent and declaration

Except for the online form IMM 5444 everything else has a status of ready to submit. I am not sure what else is required in order to be able to submit it online?

Last edited:

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Quick Update: My first PR card is finally approved and for mailing.

Landing date - 21 Apr 2022
GU - 10 Jun 2022
Decision Made - 17 Jun 2022

Excited to receive it soon.
Congratulations!!!

Reactions: nike123

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Anyone who has a landing date after 21 April 2022 got their first time PR card / got any updates regarding the PR card application ?

cg2871

Star Member
May 3, 2022
My GC Key is linked but my first time PR card application from 2016 is still reflecting on it. Says document expired of course. Now my application for renewal reached CIC on 30th May and I am awaiting AOR. Would the AOR reflect on the GC key automatically, even if the email does not come through. Some forum members like ride_bike had mentioned that they did not actually get an AOR, but could see it on the GC Key.