+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal - In person interview at IRCC Etobicoke office

keivan ka

Jan 5, 2019
THanks. Do you have their phone number? I emailed them several times but did not recieve any response...

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
You should call and reschedule. Pick-up involves an interview as well usually so not normally something you can walk-in and do.
I picked up my card 5 years ago. But at that time, IRCC didn't give me a specific date, just asked to pick it up in 6 months. I don't know if there is anything changed after 5 years.
I rented a car and entered though Detroit land entry, showed CABS my old card and pick-up letter without any question.
The officer took the letter, checked my ID, and gave me the card, without any question.
I have no idea why they ask me to pick up in person.

shevas2003

Star Member
Feb 24, 2022
The communications from IRCC these days are so full of boilerplate and conditional information it is near impossible to fully understand them in the abstract. They demand reading carefully, identifying what actually applies to you, and based on your particular circumstances figuring what it is relevant and how it applies to you in particular.

I am NO expert, NOT close, so I cannot offer much about what this means for you in particular.

I can offer some general information. Note, however, that the post of mine you quote is not much relevant to your situation. In part of that post I discuss a "counter-interview" attendant an in-person PR card pick-up BUT that is different from the kind of in-person pick-up you are scheduled for. The counter-interview pick-up is perfunctory, mostly to just verify the PR's identity and presence in Canada, although some general questions about Residency Obligation compliance are often asked.

This will be more formal than that, but I cannot say how much so. Even if more formal, it could be just that, a formality, similar to a counter-interview, mostly to verify who you are and information relevant to show you are in RO compliance. This could include questions about your spouse and your life with your spouse, to verify you are entitled to the accompanying-citizen-spouse credit toward RO compliance.

I am hesitant to talk about potential issues because doing that can trigger unnecessary anxiety. If you and your spouse were living together in Canada in the past and moved abroad together, even if a long while ago, and have been ordinarily residing together during these last five years, and as long as you have not made any misrepresentations, it appears all you need to be prepared to do is answer questions truthfully.

By the way, we do not get many follow-up reports about these kinds of interviews, so if you could return here, after the interview, and offer a report about how it goes, that could be very helpful for others.

As promised, I wanted to post my experience with the In-Person pickup. I wasn't asked any questions, instead the lady at the counter at the Ottawa office asked for my expired PR card and confirm my birth date and straight off handed me the new PR card. In my case, I reside in US with my Canadian citizen spouse, my PR card had expired back in 2009 but I had sent all our papers proving we have a life together in the USA. She said there's no questions to ask because PRs accompanying their spouse out of the country is a non-issue. In my renewal application, I had provided my friend's address and it sounds like they wanted to make sure the PR card is received by me, not my friend.

zee1234

Star Member
Oct 24, 2016
As promised, I wanted to post my experience with the In-Person pickup. I wasn't asked any questions, instead the lady at the counter at the Ottawa office asked for my expired PR card and confirm my birth date and straight off handed me the new PR card. In my case, I reside in US with my Canadian citizen spouse, my PR card had expired back in 2009 but I had sent all our papers proving we have a life together in the USA. She said there's no questions to ask because PRs accompanying their spouse out of the country is a non-issue. In my renewal application, I had provided my friend's address and it sounds like they wanted to make sure the PR card is received by me, not my friend.
Hello. I have been waiting for the ottawa office email for in person pick up since May 2023. I need to travel urgently. Can you provide me with any timeline as to after how many days/months you were called in for in person pickup after the application went into decision made? I am really worried and don’t know what to do now. I applied for an urgent PR renewal in April 2023

Jealously1314

Nov 11, 2022
I applied my renewal on Oct 3rd 2023 and I called to the IRCC to check my status in mid December. They said my pr card was printed out on December 7th in Novia scotia and sent to Etobicoke office for me to pick up. Agent said I need to wait for their email schedule an appointment and time to pick up.

Anyone have this experience before and what’s the timeline for receiving the email to pick up?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied my renewal on Oct 3rd 2023 and I called to the IRCC to check my status in mid December. They said my pr card was printed out on December 7th in Novia scotia and sent to Etobicoke office for me to pick up. Agent said I need to wait for their email schedule an appointment and time to pick up.

Anyone have this experience before and what’s the timeline for receiving the email to pick up?
Tough to say because of holiday time. You may have to wait until early January. Very unusual to have to pick up in person unless you are living abroad or there are potential concerns about your RO. Any red flags with your appllciation? Are you living permanently in Canada? How many days had you spent in Canada in the last 5 years when you applied for PR card renewal in October?

Jealously1314

Nov 11, 2022
Tough to say because of holiday time. You may have to wait until early January. Very unusual to have to pick up in person unless you are living abroad or there are potential concerns about your RO. Any red flags with your appllciation? Are you living permanently in Canada? How many days had you spent in Canada in the last 5 years when you applied for PR card renewal in October?
Thanks you for the response.
I’m currently living inside Canada. When I applied the renewal, it’s already 740 days living in Canada. I provided all the banking documents, two years NOA and the rental agreements

I am worried I won’t receive the PR card until half year to a year. I will apply for citizenship once I reach 1095 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks you for the response.
I’m currently living inside Canada. When I applied the renewal, it’s already 740 days living in Canada. I provided all the banking documents, two years NOA and the rental agreements

I am worried I won’t receive the PR card until half year to a year. I will apply for citizenship once I reach 1095 days.
The fact that you had only just reached 730 days and had a 10 day buffer if your counting was accurate may be the reason IRCC wants to meet you in person. You shouldn’t have to wait until March/April to receive your new PR card. Make sure to remain compliant with your RO. If this is your first PR card renewal now you must meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day going forward. It has only been 2 months and a half since you applied for renewal and we are heading into the holiday period where many offices essentially shut down so it may take until after the holidays before you hear about an appointment. You can call and enquire about an appointment for PR card pick-up but I would wait until after the holiday period and call the first full week of January

Jealously1314

Nov 11, 2022
The fact that you had only just reached 730 days and had a 10 day buffer if your counting was accurate may be the reason IRCC wants to meet you in person. You shouldn’t have to wait until March/April to receive your new PR card. Make sure to remain compliant with your RO. If this is your first PR card renewal now you must meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day going forward. It has only been 2 months and a half since you applied for renewal and we are heading into the holiday period where many offices essentially shut down so it may take until after the holidays before you hear about an appointment. You can call and enquire about an appointment for PR card pick-up but I would wait until after the holiday period and call the first full week of January
Thank you!
I will wait after the holiday then. Many thanks for the reply! Happy Holidays

Reactions: canuck78