+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal for Minor

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

I will renew PR card for my 8 year old son. As a minor he doesn't have SIN and filing history.

So, I am wondering how I should answer this question on Tax Filing and SIN number? ALSO note that as a mother of my child he has always lived with me (Inside and Outside Canada). I have been receiving CCTB for him as well. However, during last absence from Canada I was advised to STOP CCTB by CRA, and it has NOT been started yet (application pending at CRA). However for first 4 years I did receive it as a resident of Canada.

So Can I give my SIN instead and say that child has always accompanied me in and out of Canada, and hence they can check MY TAX returns instead?

I am not sure how to answer this question?

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
A minor can have SIN. Just get it at any Service Canada location near you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/eligibility.html
I know minor can have SIN (However its NOT mandatory). Question is not that. Question is even if Minor has SIN they cannot have TAX returns as they have no income (or at least its Not mandatory to file). So CIC is asking for SIN to check if you have filed TAX Returns for residence purpose.

My Question is if there are no TAX returns for minor what to answer? I am wondering being a mother of child my son has always lived with me (Inside and Outside Canada). So can I provide my SIN and state that he has been with me and I have filed my tax returns etc.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question is even if Minor has SIN they cannot have TAX returns as they have no income (or at least its Not mandatory to file). .
Why do you think they cannot have income? Still, do you know many people files zero income tax return when they have no income?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Why do you think they cannot have income? Still, do you know many people files zero income tax return when they have no income?

That is true in some cases, if a teenager makes like $10,000 a year due to part time jobs then yes CRA will require him/her to file income tax but if they make less than $10,000 then no they don't need to file income tax. They should check with their employer in regards to CPP and EI deductions because they are not eligible for that.

But if you are a young adult then yes you need to file income tax regardless if you have earned income or not.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I know minor can have SIN (However its NOT mandatory). Question is not that. Question is even if Minor has SIN they cannot have TAX returns as they have no income (or at least its Not mandatory to file). So CIC is asking for SIN to check if you have filed TAX Returns for residence purpose.

My Question is if there are no TAX returns for minor what to answer? I am wondering being a mother of child my son has always lived with me (Inside and Outside Canada). So can I provide my SIN and state that he has been with me and I have filed my tax returns etc.

You can provide your SIN, proof of relationship and status on the application.

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
You can provide your SIN, proof of relationship and status on the application.
That is true in some cases, if a teenager makes like $10,000 a year due to part time jobs then yes CRA will require him/her to file income tax but if they make less than $10,000 then no they don't need to file income tax. They should check with their employer in regards to CPP and EI deductions because they are not eligible for that.

But if you are a young adult then yes you need to file income tax regardless if you have earned income or not.
1. MY SON is not teenager. he is just 8

8 year OLD can work legally in Canada? NO. then how come he/she can have TAX RETURNS? DOES anybody file TAX returns for their child who are less than 10 years OLD (even if income is ZERO)? If so then I am missing something. I was always under impression that it is NOT required to file TAX RETURNS of CHILDREN.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
1. MY SON is not teenager. he is just 8

8 year OLD can work legally in Canada? NO. then how come he/she can have TAX RETURNS? DOES anybody file TAX returns for their child who are less than 10 years OLD (even if income is ZERO)? If so then I am missing something. I was always under impression that it is NOT required to file TAX RETURNS of CHILDREN.

That was just an example. Your son doesn't have to file because he's 8.

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Okay in that case they cannot determine residency based on TAX returns. I plan to attach (even though NOT asked in application).

1. His all STAMPED passport pages to prove ENTRY and EXIT from Canada
2. Have ALL the BOARDING PASSES (Can attach if Required)
3. Doctor's Visit Receipt etc.
4. School Letter (preschool/KG/School).

Do you think I should attach ALL this to prove His residence in Canada?