+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal application

Tems78

Jul 2, 2023
Hi all, long thread but need your support in figuring out a way forward.

So in 2014, I and my family relocated to Canada from the UK and stayed for a year before deciding to relocate back to the UK due to some personal reasons. Since then I have been back to Canada for visits to see family members but not stayed more than 1-2mths at any one time. The last time I visited was in December 2022 and returned to the uk January of this year, during which while I was at the airport, I was asked to apply for an Eta, I had no idea why I was asked for one when I hold a British passport as well as a Canadian PR, albeit not having stayed long enough to fulfil my PR obligations. I did apply for it and got it so was allowed to board the flight. During this visit, I applied to renew my PR card for me and my kids as my intention is to relocate back to Canada permanently and my application has been showing as submitted but I am unable to view it, also I never received an application number or confirmation sent to me and do not know how to pursue it. The application was made o the 1st of January so going on 7months now. Surely I should have heard something by now. I have no way of pursuing it as have no reference number and have had to return to the UK since then. Has anyone had similar situation? Any suggestion how to proceed? Also, the address used for my application is no longer valid as my brother has since moved house so have address issues to contend with. I just feel like its all a mess but really need help in how to progress with this. All I have that I applied to renew our PR card at this point is the receipts of proof of payment and nothing more. Thanks for your anticipated help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So in 2014, I and my family relocated to Canada from the UK and stayed for a year before deciding to relocate back to the UK due to some personal reasons. Since then I have been back to Canada for visits to see family members but not stayed more than 1-2mths at any one time. The last time I visited was in December 2022 and returned to the uk January of this year, during which while I was at the airport, I was asked to apply for an Eta, I had no idea why I was asked for one when I hold a British passport as well as a Canadian PR, albeit not having stayed long enough to fulfil my PR obligations. I did apply for it and got it so was allowed to board the flight. During this visit, I applied to renew my PR card for me and my kids as my intention is to relocate back to Canada permanently and my application has been showing as submitted but I am unable to view it, also I never received an application number or confirmation sent to me and do not know how to pursue it. The application was made o the 1st of January so going on 7months now. Surely I should have heard something by now. I have no way of pursuing it as have no reference number and have had to return to the UK since then. Has anyone had similar situation? Any suggestion how to proceed? Also, the address used for my application is no longer valid as my brother has since moved house so have address issues to contend with. I just feel like its all a mess but really need help in how to progress with this. All I have that I applied to renew our PR card at this point is the receipts of proof of payment and nothing more. Thanks for your anticipated help.
So did you meet Residency Obligations to apply to renew your PR? To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. If not that may be the issue for the time taken. If you didn’t meet RO, and applied to renew PR then they are looking at whether to cancel/revoke your PR.

You need to contact IRCC through webform and ask about status.

Tems78

Jul 2, 2023
So did you meet Residency Obligations to apply to renew your PR? To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. If not that may be the issue for the time taken. If you didn’t meet RO, and applied to renew PR then they are looking at whether to cancel/revoke your PR.

You need to contact IRCC through webform and ask about status.
Thanks for your response. No I didn't meet RO, and I explained all of the reasons why in my application. The issue is I'm not getting any response to my application whatsoever and never even received an application confirmation for me to have a reference pursuing the application. I only have receipt of payment for the application. Also where do I find the webform to contact IRCC? Thanks again

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your response. No I didn't meet RO, and I explained all of the reasons why in my application. The issue is I'm not getting any response to my application whatsoever and never even received an application confirmation for me to have a reference pursuing the application. I only have receipt of payment for the application. Also where do I find the webform to contact IRCC? Thanks again
Google - IRCC webform.

M&M23

Jun 12, 2023

Hi there,

Please take my advice with a pinch of salt, I am not sure if entering Canada with an ETA at that tme might have had automatically changed your PR status.

At the time of your application in January 2023 you were in the UK, right? So this means that you needed to apply for a PRTD. Did you apply for PRTD or PR card renewal? It is weird that you haven't heard yet. Also the calculation from the system showed that you did not have enough days to meet RO, correct?

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi there,

Please take my advice with a pinch of salt, I am not sure if entering Canada with an ETA at that tme might have had automatically changed your PR status.

At the time of your application in January 2023 you were in the UK, right? So this means that you needed to apply for a PRTD. Did you apply for PRTD or PR card renewal? It is weird that you haven't heard yet. Also the calculation from the system showed that you did not have enough days to meet RO, correct?
Wonder this too. OP when did your PR card expire? Since you came to Canada in 2014, when did your card expire? If expired, you would have had to apply for PRTD to re-enter Canada on PR card.

Tems78

Jul 2, 2023
Hi there,

At the time of my application, I was already in Canada, so it was made within Canada. And yes, I did not have enough days to meet RO, but I explained all of this and the reason why in my application, appealing for my PR renewal to be considered. Whatever the outcome or the response, at least I should have had a response by now. But I never got one or an acknowledgement of my application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
At the time of my application, I was already in Canada, so it was made within Canada. And yes, I did not have enough days to meet RO, but I explained all of this and the reason why in my application, appealing for my PR renewal to be considered. Whatever the outcome or the response, at least I should have had a response by now. But I never got one or an acknowledgement of my application.
But when did your card expire? Your application may have triggered a revoke of your PR so it may take a long time for a response. You have been back and forth to visit family so it shows you could come to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

If you were asked to apply for an eTA then it sounds like you also agreed to renounce your PR status because you didn't meet the residency requirement. IMO your PR cards are going to be refused since you are no longer a PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your application is non-standard and you've requested consideration under H&C. Non-standard application generally take longer to process, sometimes significantly longer. Additionally, I think you are no longer a PR since you applied for and obtained an eTA. Nothing much you can do but wait.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How did you enter Canada from around 2019 on which is when your PR cards would have expired? Agree that you may have already lost your PR status since a PR should have been denied ETA since as a PR they should not qualify for one. There have been some paperwork errors in the past but if your whole family were all able to get ETAs that would be very unusual if you were all PRs. Were you ever reported at the airport for not meeting your RO? Hope you specified that your brother’s address was only your mailing address and not your residential address as someone living abroad. Applying for PR card renewal based on H&C reason often takes close to a year to receive a response and is not very common. It sounds like your big issue is determining whether you are still PRs. That needs to be determined first before trying to find out what is going on with your PR care application. Assume your whole family was in Canada in 2022. Did they all have ETAs? Describe the circumstances surrounding being told to apply for ETAs?

Tems78

Jul 2, 2023
How did you enter Canada from around 2019 on which is when your PR cards would have expired? Agree that you may have already lost your PR status since a PR should have been denied ETA since as a PR they should not qualify for one. There have been some paperwork errors in the past but if your whole family were all able to get ETAs that would be very unusual if you were all PRs. Were you ever reported at the airport for not meeting your RO? Hope you specified that your brother’s address was only your mailing address and not your residential address as someone living abroad. Applying for PR card renewal based on H&C reason often takes close to a year to receive a response and is not very common. It sounds like your big issue is determining whether you are still PRs. That needs to be determined first before trying to find out what is going on with your PR care application. Assume your whole family was in Canada in 2022. Did they all have ETAs? Describe the circumstances surrounding being told to apply for ETAs?
Hi and thanks for your response. My first visit to Canada after we left was in 2019 and I cane alone and stayed for about 2 months. I came back again in December 2022 with my kids but not my husband. And it was at the airport, I was told I required an eta. My kids on the other hand were not asked for one. So at the airport I made the application online so they would allow me travel. I never rescinded my PR status so how is it I was asked to apply for an eta? That's what I'm unsure of and why I thought my PR status was still intact.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi and thanks for your response. My first visit to Canada after we left was in 2019 and I cane alone and stayed for about 2 months. I came back again in December 2022 with my kids but not my husband. And it was at the airport, I was told I required an eta. My kids on the other hand were not asked for one. So at the airport I made the application online so they would allow me travel. I never rescinded my PR status so how is it I was asked to apply for an eta? That's what I'm unsure of and why I thought my PR status was still intact.
When did your PR card expire? Were you questioned about not meeting your residency period when you came to Canada in 2019?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your case is unusual. I'm not sure any of us here are going to be able to provide too much more useful information. No one here is a lawyer.

I would say that you generally put yourself at a disadvantage when you apply for PR renewal under H&C and then leave Canada. But nothing much you can do about that now.

Not sure there's much you can do but wait for IRCC to process your application. IMO your application is certainly non-standard so it may still be a while.

Reactions: Tems78