+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal (application sent in mid-April) & Job Proof of ID Issues

zeekie

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Hi Guys,

So I applied for a new PR Card in mid-April, my PR Card expired in June. The reason I applied late was to meet the 730 day limit. I acquired an internship through school back in mid-June. Anyway, they recently asked me to send a lot of onboarding documentation prior to starting on September 8th, part of it being a Proof of ID. I let them know my card expired and that I had applied for a new one, so they said send a copy of the expired PR Card and a copy of the SIN Confirmation Letter. Now on top of this, they're asking for some sort of proof that I've sent my application :confused:

I hope you guys can see my dilemma, there is no proof until my application has been confirmed by the Immigration Office despite it reaching their office 4 months ago. I regularly check my application status through the online tool but to no avail, I've also corresponded through the IRCC Webform twice to get an update and all I got was they only got up to applications received till 10th February, sit tight!

All I have with me is a copy of the receipt you mail in with the application which I have told my employer about (let's see what they say). There is a serious threat of this internship falling through, do you have any suggestions on what I can do to get past all this? I've been thinking of mailing the IRCC again and asking them to at least confirm receipt of my application so I can show that to my employer. What do you guys think?

For reference, I sent in my brother's application in late January and received the new card in mid-February just before everything went sideways.

I appreciate any responses, thanks!

Last edited:

missanicks

Jul 24, 2020
Your SIN is a permanent SIN number, not a temporary one so there should be no concerns on their end that you are legally entitled to work. You PR card is not required for a job, it’s a travel document. I’ve never heard of a company asking for this kind of information....

Reactions: zeekie

zeekie

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Yes, and they've confirmed this themselves. I've done all the research myself and I know I'm entitled to work legally, it's just really hard to convey that message to the employer; specifically HR I'd say. I'm not sure what else to say to them, I've even offered showing my receipt for the application which I know doesn't mean much.

Do you think contacting the IRCC using the Webform just to AOR my application would help? I mean it's a bit of a Catch-22 given they only respond to questions for applications that have been AOR'd o_O but after seeing your dates on the other forum post, I'd say I'm about a month behind so I should get a response by mid-September.

missanicks

Jul 24, 2020
You can't get AOR until they actually open and start processing your application so I am not sure you will have any luck with the web form. My husband tried that with his and they had no record of it until weeks later when they actually processed it. If your application arrived in mid-April they will likely get to your application in the next few weeks as we were March 20th and they started processing ours/made a decision on August 18th.

zeekie

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Yep, I guess I can only wait. Did send the webform so I'll see how that turns out but just hoping the processing starts soon.