+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card renewal almost a year

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Hello, hope you're all doing well.

I have a friend who came to Canada when she was a child with her family and they got PR and it expired a few years later after she went back to her home country.
2 years ago she applied to renew her PR status through H&C grounds and it was approved but they didn't give her any new CoPR or card and told her to apply for a card renewal after arrival to canada.
She arrived to canada last year and applied for the PR Card renewal in March 11, 2021 and has been waiting ever since. 0 updates, 0 emails. She has not been able to do anything since her arrival. She cannot get her SIN without a CoPR or PR card, and Service Canada couldn't help her or give her a temporary SIN. Countless emails to IRCC and she never received a useful email. Countless calls to the IRCC and always the same thing, they say everything is fine in her application. Sometimes the agent would say that they lost her Photo so it caused a delay, but that was like 6-7 months ago.

Now it's almost been a year and she still cannot do anything and is running out of money for expenses like food and rent, and she cannot even get a job without the SIN. She has been without Health Insurance since arrival. No one is able to help out.

What can she do in this situation?

Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, hope you're all doing well.

I have a friend who came to Canada when she was a child with her family and they got PR and it expired a few years later after she went back to her home country.
2 years ago she applied to renew her PR status through H&C grounds and it was approved but they didn't give her any new CoPR or card and told her to apply for a card renewal after arrival to canada.
She arrived to canada last year and applied for the PR Card renewal in March 11, 2021 and has been waiting ever since. 0 updates, 0 emails. She has not been able to do anything since her arrival. She cannot get her SIN without a CoPR or PR card, and Service Canada couldn't help her or give her a temporary SIN. Countless emails to IRCC and she never received a useful email. Countless calls to the IRCC and always the same thing, they say everything is fine in her application. Sometimes the agent would say that they lost her Photo so it caused a delay, but that was like 6-7 months ago.

Now it's almost been a year and she still cannot do anything and is running out of money for expenses like food and rent, and she cannot even get a job without the SIN. She has been without Health Insurance since arrival. No one is able to help out.

What can she do in this situation?

Thank you.
She can do some cash jobs such as helping people shoveling snow or dog walking/sitters.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
She cannot get her SIN without a CoPR or PR card, and Service Canada couldn't help her or give her a temporary SIN. Countless emails to IRCC and she never received a useful email. Countless calls to the IRCC and always the same thing, they say everything is fine in her application. Sometimes the agent would say that they lost her Photo so it caused a delay, but that was like 6-7 months ago.

She can apply for a verification of status replacement of COPR. I believe I saw takes about six months.

I am not certain that the COPR - which will be dated from her original landign I believe - will be sufficient to get Service Canada to issue a SIN.

She really should try through MP and/or an immigration lawyer with labour market knowledge - or possibly through an immigration public interest group - because I do not see how or why Service Canada can deny someone a SIN based on not having a PR card. (COPR is a bit trickier) My non-lawyer reading is that they can't deny a SIN to someone who is a lawful permanent resident (and she is even if not in compliance with RO).

The PRTD should be sufficient to demonstrate that- or at least get confirmation from IRCC (and how can 'Service Canada' not be able to get info from IRCC?).

Good luck.

Reactions: le_eddz

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
It’s been more than a year and she still hasn’t received her card. She’s still here in Canada and still doesn’t have her SIN and can’t work without one. She tried sending an email to the PM but no reply. What more can she try?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It’s been more than a year and she still hasn’t received her card. She’s still here in Canada and still doesn’t have her SIN and can’t work without one. She tried sending an email to the PM but no reply. What more can she try?
Has she done any of the things suggested before in this thread?

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Has she done any of the things suggested before in this thread?
Thank you for replying. She has tried contacting the MP but no reply. She’s gone to several Service Canada locations in the city but all gave the same answer. She hesitated whenever she thought of applying for “verification of status replacement” or “urgent processing of PR card” because they say it takes a few months, but she always fears that they might finally process her card during those months, and she would’ve paid for those for nothing. Also the idea of paying for something that she’s supposed to get within a few months is preposterous and a he already paid for the processing of the card renewal application a year ago. She also constantly tries emailing and calling the IRCC. Emails always lead to the same automated reply after a week or two, and for calls, the agent always gives random answers like her picture was lost, or the production facility hasn’t replied yet, and stuff like that. She doesn’t know what else to do

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for replying. She has tried contacting the MP but no reply.
She doesn’t know what else to do
So apart from contacting the MP, for two months she just kept doing the same stuff and expecting a different result.

-Order GCMS notes (or equivalent - access to information for her file).
-MP. Go back to the MP. Keep at them. You can contact them every week. Don't just 'contact' - call, get names, call again, go to the office, call again, ask for the individuals by name.
-Lawyer.
-Immigration support group or similar. Many ethnic/community groups have people around who try to help.
-SIN: I believe it's either CRA or ESD that runs the SIN program - Service Canada is just a 'window'. Punch up to the organizations above. Call, write, whatever.

I'm sure there are other ideas. I can't say which of these will work. But just going back to Service Canada and calling IRCC on the same call centre numbers is not working and is not going to all of a sudden start working.

Reactions: le_eddz

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
So apart from contacting the MP, for two months she just kept doing the same stuff and expecting a different result.

-Order GCMS notes (or equivalent - access to information for her file).
-MP. Go back to the MP. Keep at them. You can contact them every week. Don't just 'contact' - call, get names, call again, go to the office, call again, ask for the individuals by name.
-Lawyer.
-Immigration support group or similar. Many ethnic/community groups have people around who try to help.
-SIN: I believe it's either CRA or ESD that runs the SIN program - Service Canada is just a 'window'. Punch up to the organizations above. Call, write, whatever.

I'm sure there are other ideas. I can't say which of these will work. But just going back to Service Canada and calling IRCC on the same call centre numbers is not working and is not going to all of a sudden start working.
thanks for your detailed answer. I remember ordering GCMS notes for my PR application when it took over 9-10 months. Any idea if it covers PR card renewals as well? If so, can you please link me to it?
Is there any other equivalent to GCMS for PR card information request?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thanks for your detailed answer. I remember ordering GCMS notes for my PR application when it took over 9-10 months. Any idea if it covers PR card renewals as well? If so, can you please link me to it?
It's an ATIP request, no, I don't have experience with doing this, but in principle is the same.

https://www.atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

PestoStar

Dec 17, 2021
It used to take 30 days, which went up to around 2 months during COVID. So maybe somewhere in between nowadays.
Yes it's available for PR renewal applications. Just pick the proper options from the dropdown menus.

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Thank you for your help guys. I was filling out the GCMS or ATIP page on IRCC with her when she suddenly received an application update email out of nowhere, before even submitting it. Her card renewal got approved after 13 months. It was a long wait for her but I’m happy she got it. Thanks for your replies again and take care :)