+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal 2 months after expiry

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
Dear all,
I have a question with regards to pr card renewal and obligation
Now if someone's card expires end of October 2020 and she wants to wait until end of December 2020 to renew it, is that fine??
Will those 2 months count towards her presence?
She wants to negate the effect of an absence she had before by staying extra 2 months

Thanks a lot and I hope for a prompt response as she needs to know

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
Dear all,
I have a question with regards to pr card renewal and obligation
Now if someone's card expires end of October 2020 and she wants to wait until end of December 2020 to renew it, is that fine??
Will those 2 months count towards her presence?
She wants to negate the effect of an absence she had before by staying extra 2 months

Thanks a lot and I hope for a prompt response as she needs to know
If you are residing in Canada you can apply for renewal anytime. Even if your PR card is expired you are not denied of any benefits or employment, etc...The PR card expires but the PR status of the person doesn't expire. It's always better to apply for PR renewal once you have compketed a month more than the requirement.

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
If you are residing in Canada you can apply for renewal anytime. Even if your PR card is expired you are not denied of any benefits or employment, etc...The PR card expires but the PR status of the person doesn't expire. It's always better to apply for PR renewal once you have compketed a month more than the requirement.
Thank you for your answer, yes this i know, however, she needs those 2 months to meet the requirement is that fine? Or will it be viewed by IRCC as waiting to meet the requirement?

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
Thank you for your answer, yes this i know, however, she needs those 2 months to meet the requirement is that fine? Or will it be viewed by IRCC as waiting to meet the requirement?
Nope - even if you wait more it doesn't matter.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
If you are in Canada, there is no requirement to have a PR card. So unless you need to travel abroad, you can wait as long as you wish until you apply for a new PR card.

As mentioned before, definitely wait until you are in compliance with RO before you apply for a new PR card. I would recommend even adding a month or two just to make sure in case you miscalculated the number of days present or forgot an absence.

Reactions: Maysashahin90

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
If you are in Canada, there is no requirement to have a PR card. So unless you need to travel abroad, you can wait as long as you wish until you apply for a new PR card.

As mentioned before, definitely wait until you are in compliance with RO before you apply for a new PR card. I would recommend even adding a month or two just to make sure in case you miscalculated the number of days present or forgot an absence.
Great advice, I’d recommend this as well.

Reactions: Maysashahin90