+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card renewal 1st time, need serious help regarding section B, question 17,18

r9ronaldo

Jun 29, 2018
Just wondering if any member had the same experience as my case, or any one with knowledge would kindly help me out with advice. Thanks in advance for your help. I now explain my case below.

I'm trying to renew my pr card. I became permanent resident on may 29, 2013. For the past 5 years, I was outside canada for only 46 days. This was a trip back home to visit family in 2014, and my husband, a canadian citizen, accompanied me on this trip. So I'm sure I've met the days requirement for residency.

Here's the situation I'm worried about. Back in 2012, I overstayed and was then picked up by CBSA. I was issued report under subsection 44(1) and then was given an exclusion order, not allow to return to canada for 1 year. However, at the time, because we had inland spousal sponsorship going, CBSA let me stay to wait for the approval. I was never asked to leave canada on a given date. I had to do monthly report at Airport Road during the time waiting for PR card approval. On may 29, 2013, I became permanent resident, got my pr card. My passport, seized earlier by CBSA, returned to me on the same day. I never had to go CBSA and ask for it back.

With all that explained, I understand that I MUST answer yes to both questions 17, 18?
17. Have you ever been issued a removal order in Canada
18. Has an immmigration officer ever issued you a Report Under subsection 44(1) or made the decision that you have not met the residency obligations required of Canadian permanent residents?

I need some one with knowledge to verify this. Could it possibly that the Exclusion order I got way back in 2012, still be effective against me once my current PR card expires? Or was it resolved/expired for good when I got pr card on may 29, 2013?

If I answer yes to both questions, should I provide additional documents explaining the nature of the situation?Should I be worried if my pr renewal application be denied because of this history issue?

I'm stressed and thinking getting legal advice from a lawyer. Please, let hear from your advice/opinions.
Thank you.