24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
zygurn said:
Just adding to Leon's post, another advantage for some people is that with a Canadian passport, some people will not need to get a visa before traveling to some countries (like the US), but this is more of a convenience thing.
that's what I am interested in the most, as PR status in Canada doesn't help much in applying for visas to other countries.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
To confirm:

1) A permanent resident of Canada needs a consular visa to visit the USA?

2) To pass through the USA?

For most (if not all) other countries, Suin, I believe that a Canadian PR can get automatic visa at the border. It may not be as generous a visa (e.g. the PR gets a 30-day visa into Costa Rica, while the citizen gets 90 days) but at least the PR doesn't have to deal with embassies or consulates.

Panama is an exception; it requires a consular visa for a Chinese person with Canadian PR. Any other notable exceptions?

Karlshammer, the advantge you cited doesn't apply if the PR is married to a Canadian citizen. In that case ANY time spent abroad is counted toward the PR quota if te PR is with the citizen. (But time abroad is not counted toward the citizenship quota).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
To confirm:

For most (if not all) other countries, Suin, I believe that a Canadian PR can get automatic visa at the border. It may not be as generous a visa (e.g. the PR gets a 30-day visa into Costa Rica, while the citizen gets 90 days) but at least the PR doesn't have to deal with embassies or consulates.

Panama is an exception; it requires a consular visa for a Chinese person with Canadian PR. Any other notable exceptions?

Karlshammer, the advantge you cited doesn't apply if the PR is married to a Canadian citizen. In that case ANY time spent abroad is counted toward the PR quota if te PR is with the citizen. (But time abroad is not counted toward the citizenship quota).
1. Unless you are from a country under the US visitor visa waiver program, you require a visitor visa to enter or transit the US.
2. A Canadian PR CANT get a visitor visa at the border, if they are not from a visa waiver program country.
3. As a PR you would have to research each country, rather than making a blanket statement. i.e. PRs don't require visitor visas for mexico.

PMM

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
toby said:
To confirm:

Like PMM said, you need a visa to enter the US regardless if you are a PR if your passport is not under the visa waiver program. Also, you're interpreting the rule wrong. The PR has to be accompanying the Canadian citizen in order for the days to count, not the other way around, that means, that it has to be the canadian citizen the one with the work abroad, not the PR working abroad and having the canadian spouse following him. You can see the following case where the following quote comes from: http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=residency+and+compassionate&language=en&searchTitle=Federal+-+Immigration+and+Refugee+Board+of+Canada&path=/en/ca/irb/doc/2007/2007canlii67256/2007canlii67256.html

"[28] Where the panel does not accept counsel’s argument is around the phrase “outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen”. Subparagraph 28(2)(a)(ii) requires that a permanent resident accompany a Canadian citizen outside Canada. The panel is of the view that the common-law relationship in this case involved a Canadian citizen accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada, not vice versa. "

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
toby said:
I am not for a visa exempt country and I am required to obtain a visitor visa to the US and Europe and some other countries of the world, although Canadian PR status might help with visa application in some cases.

ludnan

Jul 30, 2008
Hi all,

Just back to the original issue - I haven't managed to contact the centre. I am in the UK and the 1-888 number only works from Canada (or so it seems). AGGGHH!! I tried to contact the London embassy but they say it's a Canadian issue, which makes sense. How can I contact the Canadian centre from out of the country?!

Thanks,
Ludnan

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ludnan said:
Hi all,

Just back to the original issue - I haven't managed to contact the centre. I am in the UK and the 1-888 number only works from Canada (or so it seems). AGGGHH!! I tried to contact the London embassy but they say it's a Canadian issue, which makes sense. How can I contact the Canadian centre from out of the country?!

Thanks,
Ludnan
Try +1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message)

PMM

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
toby said:
To confirm:

I am not from a visa-exempt country, so I had to apply for a USA visa in order to visit or transit. In my visa it came written in the annotation part: Permanent Resident in Canada. And that was all. :)

If I had traveled without a visa, I would not be admitted to the country, since I am still required to have a valid visa and being a PR in Canada doesn't change that.

Mexico require a visa for citizens of certain countries, however, if the person is a PR in Canada, she/he doesn't need a visa.

Landed Immigrants of Canada

The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs that starting on December 1, 2003, landed immigrants of Canada do not require a visa. However, they do need a tourist card, which may be obtained at Mexican consulates, on direct flights to Mexico or at the Mexican airport, and they must travel with the following:

* Valid passport
* Permanent resident ID card
* Round trip tickets
* Proof of economic solvency (credit card, traveller's cheques, etc.)

Please be aware that foreigners visiting Mexico must pay a tax fee (derecho de no inmigrante). When travelling by plane, the US$20.00 fee is included in the airplane ticket. When travelling by car, this tax will be charged at the port of entry.
Source: http://www.sre.gob.mx/canada/

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
Miryam said:
Mexico require a visa for citizens of certain countries, however, if the person is a PR in Canada, she/he doesn't need a visa.
Source: http://www.sre.gob.mx/canada/
Thanks for this link. I lived in Mexico for a few years and I often go to Mexico and was wondering about this. I have a visa valid till 2012 but I had heard that as a PR I would no longer need it but never found official confirmation in SRE link. I didn't think of looking for it at the link for the embassy in Canada though.