+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Just Expired

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Greetings experts !

Really appreciate the great work you are doing by helping people like me.

My PR card just expired. I wanted to go to Canada before the expiry to visit my family there but I am stuck in Saudi Arabia due to the flight restrictions. Although there were outgoing flights but no confirmation about return and so I could not risk my job. Now, there is some hope of incoming flights resuming. and I would like to visit my family in Canada. Is there a way to return to Canada for some time. Can I enter Canada with an expired PR card? What about entering through US?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well first question would be have you met your residency obligation by spending 2 years out of last 5 in Canada ? Reading previous posts seems likely you have failed the RO.

With an expired PR card you have 2 options , 1 to apply for a PRTD given you cannot fly with an expired card or 2 try to enter via the US land border with an expired card assuming you have a US visa and there are no COVID travel restrictions for you to the US.

In either case if you have not met the 2 out 5 residency obligation you could get reported leading to your PR status being revoked. If you apply for a PRTD having failed RO then you would likely learn upfront that your PR status may be revoked

Even if you made it to Canada there is a 14 day mandatory quarantine where likely you would need to be apart from your family in Canada

Last edited:

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Well first question would be have you met your residency obligation by spending 2 years out of last 5 in Canada ? Reading previous posts seems likely you have failed the RO.

With an expired PR card you have 2 options , 1 to apply for a PRTD given you cannot fly with an expired card or 2 try to enter via the US land border with an expired card assuming you have a US visa and there are no COVID travel restrictions for you to the US.

In either case if you have not met the 2 out 5 residency obligation you could get reported leading to your PR status being revoked. If you apply for a PRTD having failed RO then you would likely learn upfront that your PR status may be revoked

Even if you made it to Canada there is a 14 day mandatory quarantine where likely you would need to be apart from your family in Canada
thanks for your reply. appreciate it. I do not meet the RO unfortunately !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for your reply. appreciate it. I do not meet the RO unfortunately !
Do you have H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency obligation?

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Do you have H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency obligation?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Actually, I do not have any H&C reasons. I am working here, tried to get job in Canada but no luck so just kept working here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, thanks for your reply. Actually, I do not have any H&C reasons. I am working here, tried to get job in Canada but no luck so just kept working here.
You can't board a plane with an expired PR card. You need a valid PR card or a PRTD to travel to Canada by plane. Since your PR card has expired, you don't meet the residency obligation and you have no H&C reasons for failing to meet RO, I don't see that either of these options are possible for you.

If you have a valid U.S. visa or can get a U.S. visa, one option would be to fly to the U.S. and then re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle and your expired PR card.

If you have a spouse in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or PR, then the other option would be to renounce your PR status officially and have your spouse sponsor you for PR.

khan2015

May 21, 2015
You can't board a plane with an expired PR card. You need a valid PR card or a PRTD to travel to Canada by plane. Since your PR card has expired, you don't meet the residency obligation and you have no H&C reasons for failing to meet RO, I don't see that either of these options are possible for you.

If you have a valid U.S. visa or can get a U.S. visa, one option would be to fly to the U.S. and then re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle and your expired PR card.

If you have a spouse in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or PR, then the other option would be to renounce your PR status officially and have your spouse sponsor you for PR.
I do have US visa. Will I be allowed to enter Canada with expired PR card? What could they ask? My family is in Canada since about 3 years but they did not get passport yet. How is the process for spousal sponsorship, is it difficult and how long does it take?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I do have US visa. Will I be allowed to enter Canada with expired PR card? What could they ask? My family is in Canada since about 3 years but they did not get passport yet. How is the process for spousal sponsorship, is it difficult and how long does it take?
You will be allowed to enter Canada but may be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. If you are not reported, then you can remain in Canada without leaving until you meet the residency requirement and then apply to renew your PR card.

The spousal sponsorship process is taking around a year and a half right now (normally 1 year but slower due to COVID-19). You have to submit a full application package via mail which you can find on the IRCC website. If you decide to have your spouse sponsor you, you must first officially renounce your PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Of course the other option would be to renounce your PR status and just get a TRV.

If you have no plans to settle in Canada anytime soon, that may be the best option.

khan2015

May 21, 2015
How long does renouncing the PR card normally take? Of course it will longer due to the Covid situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that you must remain in Canada for over 14 days. You would need to quarantine either with your family and then nobody should leave the home for 14 days. If your family needs to continue leaving the home to attend work or school. Your other option is to stay in an airbnb or somewhere in the home where you can be separated from everyone else like a basement.

khan2015

May 21, 2015
If i apply to renounce the PR status from where I am (Saudi Arabia), I am not sure how long it will take and I want to come to Canada to meet my family. What if I come to US and just try to enter Canada through the land border at Niagara falls? Is this land border open now or closed due to Covid-19? What are the chances that I will be allowed in? I can stay with my family for a month and then come back. I believe this will revoke my PR card and I can then apply for visit visa to come to Canada again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If i apply to renounce the PR status from where I am (Saudi Arabia), I am not sure how long it will take and I want to come to Canada to meet my family. What if I come to US and just try to enter Canada through the land border at Niagara falls? Is this land border open now or closed due to Covid-19? What are the chances that I will be allowed in? I can stay with my family for a month and then come back. I believe this will revoke my PR card and I can then apply for visit visa to come to Canada again.
Coming through the US will be an option. You will be let in but you may be reported for not meeting your RO at the border. If your family needs to leave the home you'll need to quarantine on your own for 14 days. Impossible to tell how long it will take to meet your RO.

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Hello,aslm..your case is similar to my daughter case,did they allow you to enter thru land border, how many days they allowed to to stay..did they revoke your pr status,..let me know plz