+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pr card holder and still valid wants to return back to canada

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
hi everyone, I would like to know if I can still go back to Canada eventhough I stayed almost 2 years in my country? my pr is still valid until 2023 of October. what should I know to return to Canada if I go back? do I have to file something or bring any documents for a proof?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi everyone, I would like to know if I can still go back to Canada eventhough I stayed almost 2 years in my country? my pr is still valid until 2023 of October. what should I know to return to Canada if I go back? do I have to file something or bring any documents for a proof?
You can fly and arrive in Canada with the valid PR card. If you have been out of Canada more than 1095 days since your day of first landing (assuming you landed in 2018) or in the last five years from the day you arrive (if your PR status is more than five years), you are out of compliance with the RO. You may or may not get 'reported' for this at border, which starts process of revoking PR status; you can appeal that. Hint: if asked why it took you longer to come back, at least mention covid as an issue.

No one can tell you the chances but there is at least a certain amount of leniency, some would say far too much, plus more with covid.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Your "PR" is valid until it's revoked.
You are talking about your PR card expiry date.

You can fly in with your PR card as long as it's before the expiry date.
As posted above, you may or may not be reported if you do not meet RO. But you will be allowed in regardless.

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
Your "PR" is valid until it's revoked.
You are talking about your PR card expiry date.

You can fly in with your PR card as long as it's before the expiry date.
As posted above, you may or may not be reported if you do not meet RO. But you will be allowed in regardless.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate. Bless you

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
You can fly and arrive in Canada with the valid PR card. If you have been out of Canada more than 1095 days since your day of first landing (assuming you landed in 2018) or in the last five years from the day you arrive (if your PR status is more than five years), you are out of compliance with the RO. You may or may not get 'reported' for this at border, which starts process of revoking PR status; you can appeal that. Hint: if asked why it took you longer to come back, at least mention covid as an issue.

No one can tell you the chances but there is at least a certain amount of leniency, some would say far too much, plus more with covid.
thank you for the reply ☺ really appreciate

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
I have another question. Since im the only PR status. And was single that time i got my PR. I want to return and travel back with my family together. Is there any possible that they can apply for a visa for them to be able to travel with me and after they arrived in Canada can i file a sponsorship for them while they’re in tourist visa? I couldn’t leave behind my baby is there any other way? Hope you can help me answer with this kind of situation. Thank you for all the reply in advance.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I have another question. Since im the only PR status. And was single that time i got my PR. I want to return and travel back with my family together. Is there any possible that they can apply for a visa for them to be able to travel with me and after they arrived in Canada can i file a sponsorship for them while they’re in tourist visa? I couldn’t leave behind my baby is there any other way? Hope you can help me answer with this kind of situation. Thank you for all the reply in advance.
Yes. That plan is certainly possible.

But first they must get approved for a TRV, which is the hardest part.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Your spouse/ common law partner and dependent children will need to get approved TRV to travel to Canada.
You need to be comply to RO in order to submit a sponsorship application to sponsor them as PR. So if you are out of compliance, it will take some time for you to stay in Canada to be comply again. You never mentioned when you landed as PR and how much time you've spent in Canada before you left.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It is generally not recommended to apply to sponsor family while out of compliance. You can read up on that further here in the forum.

You have not shared how much you have been out of Canada, when you became a PR, etc.

However, it's quite possible that not returning to Canada WHEN YOU ASKED THIS QUESTION in August has put you out of compliance and now you may have to basically wait two years to get back in compliance.

Too bad you didn't think to ask that REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION ('oh yeah I have a family including kids and none of them are PRs') back then.

Note, if your kids and spouse come on TRVs, health insurance and school fees etc are not automatically taken care of and you should research / assume that chances are you may have to pay out of pocket (perhaps you won't, but it won't be automatic and in some places will have to be paid for).

Reactions: YVR123

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
Your spouse/ common law partner and dependent children will need to get approved TRV to travel to Canada.
You need to be comply to RO in order to submit a sponsorship application to sponsor them as PR. So if you are out of compliance, it will take some time for you to stay in Canada to be comply again. You never mentioned when you landed as PR and how much time you've spent in Canada before you left.
I got my PR Card Oct. 2018

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
It is generally not recommended to apply to sponsor family while out of compliance. You can read up on that further here in the forum.

You have not shared how much you have been out of Canada, when you became a PR, etc.

However, it's quite possible that not returning to Canada WHEN YOU ASKED THIS QUESTION in August has put you out of compliance and now you may have to basically wait two years to get back in compliance.

Too bad you didn't think to ask that REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION ('oh yeah I have a family including kids and none of them are PRs') back then.

Note, if your kids and spouse come on TRVs, health insurance and school fees etc are not automatically taken care of and you should research / assume that chances are you may have to pay out of pocket (perhaps you won't, but it won't be automatic and in some places will have to be paid for).

hello thank you for the info… i got my PR card Oct 2018 and left Canada 2020 of October…am i out of compliance already? Is my stay in Canada for 11 years not counted? My PR will expired this year of December. I was mistaken about the expiration of my card before. Sorry about that

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hello thank you for the info… i got my PR card Oct 2018 and left Canada 2020 of October…am i out of compliance already? Is my stay in Canada for 11 years not counted? My PR will expired this year of December. I was mistaken about the expiration of my card before. Sorry about that
Assuming that you have been a PR way before Oct 2018, you will need to look back from the day you planned to re-enter Canada to calculate your RO.

If you left on Oct 2020, then if you come back in Feb 2023, then you still meet your RO assuming that you didn't travel outside at all before you left in Oct 2020.

As replied previously by another member, as long as you are not out of Canada more than 1095 days in the previous 5 years on the day your travel back to Canada, you still meet your RO.

How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status?
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. See can my time abroad count towards my permanent resident status?

Reactions: armoured

masterppiz

Aug 11, 2022
Assuming that you have been a PR way before Oct 2018, you will need to look back from the day you planned to re-enter Canada to calculate your RO.

If you left on Oct 2020, then if you come back in Feb 2023, then you still meet your RO assuming that you didn't travel outside at all before you left in Oct 2020.

As replied previously by another member, as long as you are not out of Canada more than 1095 days in the previous 5 years on the day your travel back to Canada, you still meet your RO.

How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status?
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. See can my time abroad count towards my permanent resident status?
I have never travel before since i got my PR. Only the year that i took vacation last 2020 and still in Philippines up to now. And planning to travel back this Feb. can i still travel back without a question in immigration? .
I really appreciate your response to all my questions.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have never travel before since i got my PR. Only the year that i took vacation last 2020 and still in Philippines up to now. And planning to travel back this Feb. can i still travel back without a question in immigration? .
I really appreciate your response to all my questions.
If you stayed in Canada till Oct 2020 and only be outside from Oct 2020 - Feb 2023 (when you plan to travel back), you still meet your RO.
Since you meet your RO and has a valid PR card, you should be able to enter without issue.
Immigration can still ask questions but that should not have any concern on you meeting your RO.

You can apply to sponsor your spouse and children via outland once you moved back to Canada (if they don't have approved TRV by then).