+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expiry

Sri99

Jun 14, 2018
Hi,

I have applied for my Citizenship in Dec 2018 and the status shows in-process

My PR expires in Jan 2020

Should I need to renew my PR card? since its only 9 months left to expire and CIC wants to renew if it expires with in 9 months

Please advise

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Hi,

I have applied for my Citizenship in Dec 2018 and the status shows in-process

My PR expires in Jan 2020

Should I need to renew my PR card? since its only 9 months left to expire and CIC wants to renew if it expires with in 9 months

Please advise
IRCC did not say it is compulsory to renew when it is 9 months to expiry but gave the option to renew months before expiry to avoid getting stuck with no valid PR card.

However it depends on your location. If you are in GTA a good advice would be to consider renewing when you have say 3 - 4 months to expiry. If you are outside GTA - chances are you will likely receive your citizenship before 9 months. In general if do not anticipate travelling after the expiry of your PR card then no need to worry there is no penalty for having expired PR card.

Last edited:

Sri99

Jun 14, 2018
IRCC did not say it is compulsory to renew when it is 9 months to expiry but gave the option to renew months before expiry to avoid getting stuck with no valid PR card.

However it depends on your location. If you are in GTA a good advice would be to consider renewing when you have since months left. If you are outside GTA - chances are you will likely receive your citizenship before 9 months. In general if do not anticipate travelling after the expiry of your PR card then no need to worry there is no penalty for having expired PR card.
why would living in GTA affect the processing time?

JPBless

May 14, 2018
why would living in GTA affect the processing time?
The short version of a very long story is there are more applicants in GTA and that results in increased workload for GTA processing centers. Look at the various spreadsheets... January 2018, February 2018, March 2018, April 2018 and the rest of them. The bulk of those awaiting test and oath are from GTA.

Sri99

Jun 14, 2018
The short version of a very long story is there are more applicants in GTA and that results in increased workload for GTA processing centers. Look at the various spreadsheets... January 2018, February 2018, March 2018, April 2018 and the rest of them. The bulk of those awaiting test and oath are from GTA.
Thanks!, So is it better to renew the PR card? if so when can I apply? since I have 9 months until it expires..

JPBless

May 14, 2018

However it depends on your location. If you are in GTA a good advice would be to consider renewing when you have say 6 months left. If you are outside GTA - chances are you will likely receive your citizenship before 9 months. In general if do not anticipate travelling after the expiry of your PR card then no need to worry there is no penalty for having expired PR card.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
Thanks!, So is it better to renew the PR card? if so when can I apply? since I have 9 months until it expires..
If you don't leave Canada you don't have to renew the PR Card at all. Only if you plan on travelling, or have a last minute Family emergency. I'd renew it anytime as it doesn't matter. You'll have your citizenship soon anyway, so doesn't matter if you renew the card now, or in 4 or 5 months as you'll have to turn it in before it would expire to accept your citizenship.