+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expiry - less than 730 days : Can I enter ?

kn2172

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
hi everyone,

here is my timeline :

received PR: June 2016
soft landing for 10 days: Oct 2016

PR card expires on: 8th Nov 2021.

Scenario 1) - I enter Canada before 8th November 2019 and stay for 730 days and fulfill 730 requirements. - All good with this

Query :

Scenario 2) - Can I enter Canada & how if the number of days between my entry to Canada and PR expiry date is less than 730 days?
If Yes, I will enter Canada and stay there for straight 730 days and apply for renewal. But at the time of PR renewal, my PR card will be expired. Will this be a problem or my card will be renewed? Has anybody done this?

If No, where can I find the written rule for this?

Reactions: ferry-1978

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)The 730 days in the initial 5 years is determined from your landing date not the issue of the PR card so you need to be back in October 2019 not November.

2)PR card expiry date is irrelevant as (1) the 730 days is based on initial landing date. Whether you have or have not or cannot meet the residency obligation you are still entitled to enter Canada as a PR.

If on entry it is determined by CBSA that you may not be able to meet the RO they may decide to start the process to revoke your PR status. If you enter without this determination then you need to stay put for 730 days to reset your RO.

There is no obligation to renew your PR card if you have no plans to travel out of the country and not advisable to anyway until you have reset your RO Plus if you have met the RO at renewal, advisable to have more than 730 say upto 800 days for some buffer, should not be any issue to renew even if current card has expired.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?st=10.1

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html

zhang82yi

Dec 2, 2014
hi everyone,

here is my timeline :

received PR: June 2016
soft landing for 10 days: Oct 2016

PR card expires on: 8th Nov 2021.

Scenario 1) - I enter Canada before 8th November 2019 and stay for 730 days and fulfill 730 requirements. - All good with this

Query :

Scenario 2) - Can I enter Canada & how if the number of days between my entry to Canada and PR expiry date is less than 730 days?
If Yes, I will enter Canada and stay there for straight 730 days and apply for renewal. But at the time of PR renewal, my PR card will be expired. Will this be a problem or my card will be renewed? Has anybody done this?

If No, where can I find the written rule for this?
Hey, we have exactly same problem. I became PR in June 2016 as well and not in Canada since. Have you tried to enter Canada? Did CBSA allow you in?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unless there are criminality issues, they will allow you to enter. Whether you get to retain your Permanent residence after entry is a different matter.

manishdamani271

Star Member
May 10, 2013
Hello @kn2172 I hope you must be doing good . I am also in same situation where I am short by 30 days and need to enter in Canada (with Valid PR card ) . Can you share your experience with me ?

Reactions: Smile24x7

pranjals

Dec 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@manishdamani271
Can you please update the thread with what happened with you ? If you were able to renew your PR or not ?

It will help others who are in the same boat :)

Reactions: Smile24x7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
has anyone renewed your PR card with less than 730 days?
It is not recommended. You can live in Canada without a valid PR card so can wait until you meet your RO and then apply. Are you currently in Canada and how many days have you spent in Canada during the past 5 years or since you landed if less than 5 years? Do you have H&C reasons why you could not be in Canada and proof of why it was impossible to meet your RO and you returned as soon as possible?