+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expiring soon

sang1507

Star Member
Mar 7, 2018
Hi,
My PR card was issued in April 2015.The Expiry date at the front of the card shows as Jun 2020. However today when i was travelling into Canada via Air, i was told that i will not be able to enter the country beyond April 2020.I was told that 5 years validity is calculated from Date of Issue not the date mentioned as Expiry Date on the card.
Please advise on the following:
1. Which is the Correct Expiry date on my PR Card?
2. Which is the utmost time upto when i can legally enter Canada.. April 2020 or June 2020?
3. IF i plan to enter via Road ,will I be able to enter via road upto Jun 2020?
Appreciate your response.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Pretty sure this is incorrect advise.

Last time I checked, my PR card doesn’t even have an issue date. Does yours?

Even if it does, it also seems weird that your PR card would have a validity duration of longer than five years.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This is interesting and raises a few of points such as how would a checkin agent assume outside of the country be clued up on PR card validity. Maybe the PR card check on the system access available to checkin has more information then we as public know. Maybe even though card was issued 4/2015 for some reason the expire date was printed incorrectly given seems odd to have validity greater than 5 years, not saying might happen as I do not know.

. Maybe as has been seen here on the forum a few times the OP quotes 'PR card was issued on such a date' when in fact they really mean they landed on that date and applied for a card which in fact was issued months later given 4/2015-6/2015 could have been average new card processing time at some point.

Lot of whatifs but for an airline to question PR card validity clearly printed on the card seems odd and shame the OP did not pose the question to CBSA on arrival as opposed to the forum.

aaadi1998

Jul 13, 2017
As long as it is valid then he must issue you a boarding
Cic says as long as it is valid they didn’t mention anything about date of landing

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Is it 2years out of 5yrs from landing date or last 5yrs from PR renew application date?
From the date of landing up to the fifth year anniversary of that date, RO compliance is calculated by adding together the number of days IN Canada so far (since landing) PLUS the number of days left until the fifth year anniversary. That number needs to total 730 days to be in compliance.

After the fifth year anniversary, RO compliance is always based on 2/5 within the previous five years of whatever day the calculation is being done.

For PR card applications, RO compliance is initially assessed based on the date the application was made. BUT if the PR leaves Canada in the meantime, or is scheduled for an interview, the PR's compliance with the RO can and quite likely will also be evaluated based on the date the PR arrives at a PoE, or the date of the interview, or the date the PR makes a PR Travel Document application while abroad. Note, for example, a PR abroad may learn that his PR card application has been approved and a PR card has been issued, but upon arrival at a PoE get Reported if on that day of arrival the PR has not been IN Canada at least 730 days within the previous five years (for PR past the fifth year anniversary of landing).

REMINDER: DATES on PR card are NOT RELEVANT.