+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expires in 3 months, can I still enter Canada?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
For me the priority is to: short term - enter and leave while the PR card is valid (and it is) but then - long-term - ideally I would like to keep the status because I would still like to continue visiting the family as a resident. I of course understand if there are rules and it will be revoked, i won't ask for exceptions, but if any chance to keep or reapply, that would be so great!
Its called “ Permanent Residency “, not a way to circumvent getting a ETA, or visa if you didn’t have it

Reactions: Ponga

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
Its called “ Permanent Residency “, not a way to circumvent getting a ETA, or visa if you didn’t have it
If someone, like the case of Copingwithlife, get the chance to enter Canada without being reported, if he/she stay two consecutives years and wish to apply for renewal, will he/she still face some problem during these two years period with expired PR card.

Thanks and regards,

Eusufzai

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If someone, like the case of Copingwithlife, get the chance to enter Canada without being reported, if he/she stay two consecutives years and wish to apply for renewal, will he/she still face some problem during these two years period with expired PR card.

Thanks and regards,

Eusufzai
Possibly.

Without having a valid PR Card, it may be difficult to obtain provincial health care and a Driver License.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi guys want a quick feedback on the following points, I wish to return to Canada along with my wife to examine the possibility of landing a job in dental academia/public health (last try) and if not return to my home country. I am in breach of residency and my card expires in August. My queries are as follows.
1. If reported at the POE and asked to sign 44(1) will we be allowed to enter Canada?
2. If we decide to renounce PR at POE (if we are pressed to renounce) will we be allowed into Canada as a visitors or asked to leave on the next flight?
3. If successful in entering Canada without being reported can I apply for a health card before the PR card expires? If so which is the easiest province (with less wait time) to get a health care card?
4. If the above isn't feasible can I apply for private health insurance and what documents are needed?
5. Does the PR who is in breach of RO have a tax obligation although I never worked or earned in Canada (I did my soft landing in 2018 and several circumstances prevented me from returning)
6. Can I apply for bank account with a PR card nearing expiry or expired?
7. If I intend to leave Canada ( If I don't find a job) is it OK to travel with an expired card to home country? ( I believe it should be OK but wish to clarify)
8. Do I need to carry any H&C documents on my personal circumstances just incase I am referred to a secondary officer?
9. Which is a better POE for PR with breach of RO / Toronto, Vancouver, or any other city?
10. What are the ways one can get casual jobs or academic jobs in Community health organizations ( Sorry if this one cant be posted here)
Thanks in advance and I plan to fly in a couple of months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. If reported at the POE and asked to sign 44(1) will we be allowed to enter Canada?
Yes.

2. If we decide to renounce PR at POE (if we are pressed to renounce) will we be allowed into Canada as a visitors or asked to leave on the next flight?
N/A. Do not agree to renounce at border (IMO).

3. If successful in entering Canada without being reported can I apply for a health card before the PR card expires? If so which is the easiest province (with less wait time) to get a health care card?
As far as I'm aware, all provinces. BC seems very difficult if card expired. IN some provinces there will be a waiting period of 3 months (eg Ontario used to have this, but currently waived due to pandemic. Don't know about other provinces.)

5. Does the PR who is in breach of RO have a tax obligation although I never worked or earned in Canada (I did my soft landing in 2018 and several circumstances prevented me from returning)
If not a tax resdient, no. Note that tax residency is different.

6. Can I apply for bank account with a PR card nearing expiry or expired?
Close to expiry, yes. Expired - don't know but believe so.

7. If I intend to leave Canada ( If I don't find a job) is it OK to travel with an expired card to home country? ( I believe it should be OK but wish to clarify)
Canada has no exit controls at border. What you'll need is travel documents that let you board the plane.

Note in general: card is not PR status. Expired card does not mean you are not a PR, nor 'illegal.' Being out of compliance with RO is not illegal.

8. Do I need to carry any H&C documents on my personal circumstances just incase I am referred to a secondary officer?
It is not a bad idea to have some but as I recall few posters here have said they have been asked to show them. Perhaps a couple pulled them out and pointed to them but border officers just sort of acknowledged there are some docs. That said, definitely will not hurt to have them handy.

Thing to keep in mind: CBSA officers are not a 'court' in sense of evidence etc. They are making, mostly, a snap judgment about whether there is a real case for H&C. They're mostly working on what the PR says, which is mostly going to boil down to credibility. Having a straightforward story that seems to be backed by evidence, presenting a brief and cogent explanation is going to come across as more credible.

But mostly they're not going to look at docs in detail - if at all. They don't have the time and if there's some more detailed consideration of the evidence needed - where credbility is truly in question - let the appeals process deal with it.

9. Which is a better POE for PR with breach of RO / Toronto, Vancouver, or any other city?
BC appears to be far more strict about expired PR cards than Ontario for purposes of getting health care and driver's licenses. I don't think that applies to your case - you should be able to get both dealt with upon arrival even if the PR card is due to expire - but I'\m not certain.

10. What are the ways one can get casual jobs or academic jobs in Community health organizations ( Sorry if this one cant be posted here)
Thanks in advance and I plan to fly in a couple of months.
I have no idea but of course the issue of medical qualifications being recognized is an incredibly complex and important one. So the primary question here would be will it be possible to get your qualifications recognized for the employment you want (or something in that area at least) and whether having a short-dated PR card (soon to be epxired) will impact that at all.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Yes.

As far as I'm aware, all provinces. BC seems very difficult if card expired. IN some provinces there will be a waiting period of 3 months (eg Ontario used to have this, but currently waived due to pandemic. Don't know about other provinces.)

Canada has no exit controls at border. What you'll need is travel documents that let you board the plane.

Note in general: card is not PR status. Expired card does not mean you are not a PR, nor 'illegal.' Being out of compliance with RO is not illegal.

It is not a bad idea to have some but as I recall few posters here have said they have been asked to show them. Perhaps a couple pulled them out and pointed to them but border officers just sort of acknowledged there are some docs. That said, definitely will not hurt to have them handy.

Thing to keep in mind: CBSA officers are not a 'court' in sense of evidence etc. They are making, mostly, a snap judgment about whether there is a real case for H&C. They're mostly working on what the PR says, which is mostly going to boil down to credibility. Having a straightforward story that seems to be backed by evidence, presenting a brief and cogent explanation is going to come across as more credible.

But mostly they're not going to look at docs in detail - if at all. They don't have the time and if there's some more detailed consideration of the evidence needed - where credbility is truly in question - let the appeals process deal with it.

BC appears to be far more strict about expired PR cards than Ontario for purposes of getting health care and driver's licenses. I don't think that applies to your case - you should be able to get both dealt with upon arrival even if the PR card is due to expire - but I'\m not certain.

I have no idea but of course the issue of medical qualifications being recognized is an incredibly complex and important one. So the primary question here would be will it be possible to get your qualifications recognized for the employment you want (or something in that area at least) and whether having a short-dated PR card (soon to be epxired) will impact that at all.
Thats a lot of information @armoured. Regarding jobs I have been in dental academia (Dental Public Health/Public Health) all throughout my life. I guess a university job in Canada is almost impossible (but for a miracle). Thats why I was thinking of starting with public health charitable organizations to begin an entry level job. Contacted few people on LinkedIn but no luck so far. Lets see what happens when I land there. I may post a few queries before flying out. Thanks a million.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes.

Ontario is actually very strict when it comes to obtain a health card. No valid PR card no new health card unless it is a year after landing which allows you to use landing documents. No health card without a valid PR card in Quebec as well.

Jobs in Academia are extremely difficult to get. If you aren’t a licensed dentist in Canada it will be very difficult to get any academic job for dentists in Canada especially at a dental school since we don’t have many schools. Do you have a PhD? From a well known school internationally? Extensive publishing? To get hired at a university is a long process and as an international candidate you need to be bringing something to the schools like grants, exciting research, teaching experience in well known school internationally., etc. To apply for academic positions you should already be looking for opportunities already since the posting don’t come up often and selection takes a long time. Do you have a PhD in public health? There are so many with public degrees in Canada especially masters degrees but not enough jobs. The reality is that most public health jobs go to nurses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thats a lot of information @armoured. Regarding jobs I have been in dental academia (Dental Public Health/Public Health) all throughout my life. I guess a university job in Canada is almost impossible (but for a miracle). Thats why I was thinking of starting with public health charitable organizations to begin an entry level job. Contacted few people on LinkedIn but no luck so far. Lets see what happens when I land there. I may post a few queries before flying out. Thanks a million.
You would be too qualified for entry level public health charitable organization. Worked at MSF for example. They run a very lean staff in Canada. There are very entry level positions like an administration assistant as well as some basic jobs related to fundraising but otherwise more senior positions. Many public health charitable organization like needle exchange and other drug outreach programs tend to run primarily with nurses and social workers. What jobs are you leaving to come to Canada? That needs to be considered.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ontario is actually very strict when it comes to obtain a health card. No valid PR card no new health card unless it is a year after landing which allows you to use landing documents. No health card without a valid PR card in Quebec as well.

Jobs in Academia are extremely difficult to get. If you aren’t a licensed dentist in Canada it will be very difficult to get any academic job for dentists in Canada especially at a dental school since we don’t have many schools. Do you have a PhD? From a well known school internationally? Extensive publishing? To get hired at a university is a long process and as an international candidate you need to be bringing something to the schools like grants, exciting research, teaching experience in well known school internationally., etc. To apply for academic positions you should already be looking for opportunities already since the posting don’t come up often and selection takes a long time. Do you have a PhD in public health? There are so many with public degrees in Canada especially masters degrees but not enough jobs. The reality is that most public health jobs go to nurses.
[/QUOTE.
Thank you. I do have a Ph.D (Public health Dentistry) from the University of Adelaide, Australia and Degrees from Ireland and UK Royal College of Surgeons, Over 50 publications in high impact factor journals but no grants. Its not easy to get grants from outside Canada unless one is employed in Canada and can look for collaborations. I have been looking for opportunities since quite some time despite the personal issues I have at the moment. But there are hardly any in the 10 universities in Canada and mostly people who have pursued a higher degree in Canada are employed by their supervisors. This has been the experience. In many of the positions academia the interviewers know whom they are looking for.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
You would be too qualified for entry level public health charitable organization. Worked at MSF for example. They run a very lean staff in Canada. There are very entry level positions like an administration assistant as well as some basic jobs related to fundraising but otherwise more senior positions. Many public health charitable organization like needle exchange and other drug outreach programs tend to run primarily with nurses and social workers. What jobs are you leaving to come to Canada? That needs to be considered.
@canuck78 Yes I am looking at entry level positions to think of saving PR. I even applied for a grants at Michael Smith Foundation which was selected at the school level (UBC) but wasn't selected at the provincial level in BC. I am currently professor and head in public health dentistry in my country. So I am just wondering if lack of obtaining a suitable job can be included in my H&C consideration.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
@canuck78 Yes I am looking at entry level positions to think of saving PR. I even applied for a grants at Michael Smith Foundation which was selected at the school level (UBC) but wasn't selected at the provincial level in BC. I am currently professor and head in public health dentistry in my country. So I am just wondering if lack of obtaining a suitable job can be included in my H&C consideration.
Really headache for newcomer in Canada. I guess more than 80% jobs need a network before you can really get it. So, time spending here is very important. Make your own network.

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived

Hi meghashyam75,

When you are planning to enter in Canada? How many days you have left to expire your PR card. Did you plan which port of entry you will use to enter Canada. Let us share your experience once you face the immigration at the PoE. I heard it is very important to develop a network in order to get a good position in Canada. I am sure, with your impressive professional background and many years of experience, you will surely find a job in Canada. Best of luck.

Best regards,

Eusufzai

Reactions: meghashyam75

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It doesn’t make sense to come to Canada without a good job opportunity when you have good job opportunities where you are. If you leave a teaching position it may not be possible to get one if you want to return.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi meghashyam75,

When you are planning to enter in Canada? How many days you have left to expire your PR card. Did you plan which port of entry you will use to enter Canada. Let us share your experience once you face the immigration at the PoE. I heard it is very important to develop a network in order to get a good position in Canada. I am sure, with your impressive professional background and many years of experience, you will surely find a job in Canada. Best of luck.

Best regards,

Eusufzai
Unless you know the job market I wouldn’t be assuring someone that they won’t have any problems securing a good position. Finding jobs in academia in Canada is hard. There aren’t a lot of universities in Canada and PhD graduates from that school tend to get priority for teaching positions. It is hard for CanadianPhD grads to get academia jobs in Canada which is why many end up in the US, UK, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are way to overqualified for an entry level position not to mention there is often an age bias for entry level positions. Not being able to find employment in Canada from abroad isn‘t usually an H&C factor. Moving to Canada doesn’t make sense for many people. If people have good positions in niche fields it is often very difficult to secure a similar position in Canada. It also gets more difficult to immigrate as you get older. In your case it probably doesn’t make sense to move to Canada and leave such a good career behind. Is there a reason you are determined to come to Canada when risk being reported and not being able to stay? You are risking so much and would have to leave a very good stable job, a home, etc. If you want to try and enter Canada you need to be prepared to remain in Canada for up to 2-3 years without leaving.