+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired

cmark

Aug 14, 2021
I have a question- My PR card expired in 2009. I couldn't return to Canada to live for various reasons. But, I briefly traveled to Canada last year as US citizen to visit a friend. I did mentioned at the border that I used to live in Canada but moved to US for higher studies. Did I lost my PR status? If yes, what are my options? If no, what do I need to do next? Btw, I cannot move to Canada for next 3 years. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a question- My PR card expired in 2009. I couldn't return to Canada to live for various reasons. But, I briefly traveled to Canada last year as US citizen to visit a friend. I did mentioned at the border that I used to live in Canada but moved to US for higher studies. Did I lost my PR status? If yes, what are my options? If no, what do I need to do next? Btw, I cannot move to Canada for next 3 years. Thank you.
It's hard for any of us to say what happened at the border with certainty. However based on the information you've provided, it does not sound like you lost PR. So most likely you are still a PR now.

There is nothing you can do now since you are not ready to return to Canada.

Once you are ready to return to Canada to live here permanently, you will need to try to re-enter Canada through a US/Canada land border using a private vehicle and hope you are not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are reported, you should expect to close your PR status and be told to leave Canada. If you are not reported, then you will need to live in Canada for two years before you will be able to apply to renew your PR card and know your PR status is safe. During these two years, you want to avoid any trips outside of Canada. You may also find it difficult to do certain things during those two years (like get health care coverage) without a valid PR card. If you happen to have a spouse or children, you won't be able to sponsor them for permanent residency until you complete the two years of living in Canada and meet the residency obligation.

cmark

Aug 14, 2021
It's hard for any of us to say what happened at the border with certainty. However based on the information you've provided, it does not sound like you lost PR. So most likely you are still a PR now.

There is nothing you can do now since you are not ready to return to Canada.

Once you are ready to return to Canada to live here permanently, you will need to try to re-enter Canada through a US/Canada land border using a private vehicle and hope you are not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are reported, you should expect to close your PR status and be told to leave Canada. If you are not reported, then you will need to live in Canada for two years before you will be able to apply to renew your PR card and know your PR status is safe. During these two years, you want to avoid any trips outside of Canada. You may also find it difficult to do certain things during those two years (like get health care coverage) without a valid PR card. If you happen to have a spouse or children, you won't be able to sponsor them for permanent residency until you complete the two years of living in Canada and meet the residency obligation.
Thank you for your reply. As a follow up question. when I am ready to return to Canada to live permanently, will I be eligible to apply for a job or will I have to wait for 2 years, apply to renew my PR card and then get a job? I briefly looked at the application for PR card renewal where one needs to provide the details of the previous PR card, which in my case expired in 2009.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. As a follow up question. when I am ready to return to Canada to live permanently, will I be eligible to apply for a job or will I have to wait for 2 years, apply to renew my PR card and then get a job? I briefly looked at the application for PR card renewal where one needs to provide the details of the previous PR card, which in my case expired in 2009.
Did you get a SIN when you were originally here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Social insurance numbers become dormant when unused for a number of years. You'll have to go in person to a Service Canada center to reactivate it if you want to work - and I'm pretty sure when I did it four years ago I needed my PR card...

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sin card if dormant will not be reactivated without valid pr card.Telling you from my personal experience.
Interesting. Looks like they've tightened up the rules.

Reactions: rose_20

cmark

Aug 14, 2021
Sin card if dormant will not be reactivated without valid pr card.Telling you from my personal experience.
if sin is attached to a spousal retirement account (in Canada) that is still valid, will sin be considered active or dormant in that case scenario?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if sin is attached to a spousal retirement account (in Canada) that is still valid, will sin be considered active or dormant in that case scenario?
Likely dormant. You haven’t personally used your SIN card or actively used it like filing taxes, working and paying to various benefit systems, etc. Moving to Canada after 15 years is quite the gamble since there is zero guarantees that you won’t get reported at the border, that you’ll be able to activate your SIN#, that you’ll be able to get a health card for 2.5+ years, etc. Is there a reason that you want to return to Canada after 15 years? It would be more understandable if you weren’t able to secure status in the US but given that you are now a US citizen the potential risks associated with trying to return to Canada as PR after 15 years don’t make a lot of sense.