+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired when Visiting India

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Ok, So i was visiting india for 3 weeks in November and on my return date nov 24th, i noticed my PR card expired on November 19th. So i called the Canadian High commission in new Delhi, and i only answer for every question I asked was check the website. So I then contacted the immigration office in canada and they told me to apply for a travel document at the canadian consulate in India. And also i checked if it is possible for me to travel to US (I have a multiple entry visit visa for US) and enter canada on a private vehicle. They said that would be possible if i can provide the IMM 1000 or IMM592. This is what the email says

(((-Please note that a PR card or travel document is required for all permanent residents returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle (plane, train, boat or bus). If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, the PR card is not mandatory; you can use your immigration document (i.e. Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)). An officer will ask you questions to verify if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.)))

So long story short, i Went to the canadian High commission in New Delhi on November 26th. They are open to public only for 1 hour/ day , Monday to thursday. What a joke? I managed to spoke to the guy in the counter and he said it will take 5 business days for the travel document. Canadian high commission has also outsourced the application process to VFS in India and I check if I submit the application with VFS,the processing time will be the same and the guy said yes. So i went to VFS and submitted my application there. Then on November 30th I noticed the processing time has changed to 10 business days for Travel document.

So now 5 business days have passed and VFS is not able to give me an update other than my Application is under process. I tried to explain to them that i have a job and some other responsibility back in canada. I tried calling and emailing canadian consulate and havent got any another from them. I been in canada for last 8 years and my time out of that country is less than 100 days.

Does anyone have any experience with this kinda situation?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you submit conclusive proof of residence in Canada and how many days of physical presence are you claiming in the 5 years perior prior to your TD application?

I say go via the US unless the VFS has your passport and trying to retrieve it will be a lengthy process such that the TD is already issued.

At the land border show the CBSA agent your expired Card and explain your situation. Is your COPR on your current passport?

This will be a faster process and you have more control over it. It also eliminates the risk of being asked to go to the New Delhi visa post for an interview.

Good luck

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
I submitted my pay stubs from work, but other than that i wasn't able to submit any another document for my last 5 year stay in canada. My passport was renew 2 years ago and does not have all my travel info. But the consulate did ask me to fill out an exit entry form showing my activities in the last 5 years.

I also spoke to my MP in Ontario and they are sending a request to get the status on my file. Hope this will speed up the process.

I am thinking about travelling thru US and cross the border in a private vehicle. But I don't have the COPR with me. The passport is submitted at the Canadian consulate and i have to ask them to return it back to me.

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Finally got a reply from the consulate by email

""Your application is under review and will take more time to process. When the file is ready for the next step, our office will contact you directly. In the meantime, please refrain from sending further correspondence and await our contact.""

Not really a helpful answer. This is how canadian embassy operate outside of the country? WOW!!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The visa post is carrying out a Residence Obligation review and hasn't given you a timeline for this...for all you know it could 4, 6, 8 etc weeks.

IMHO get your passport back from the consulate and enter Canada via the US. Don't focus on the lack of COPR - present the border official with whatever documents you have.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The embassies are busy enough. Of course they do not want everybody contacting them every day to ask about how their cases are going. If they did, the processing time would be weeks rather than days or months rather than weeks.

You have two options. Wait it out and hopefully get your travel document in another week or so or ask for your passport back and go through the US if you have a US visa or can get one. You will be allowed to enter with an expired PR card even if you don't have the COPR.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
bluebird0479,

Do keep this forum posted once you have successfully returned to Canada - - whether it was through the border crossing option from the US OR via air if you got your TD in time.

All the Best !

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
I think I will go to the embassy and ask for my passport back and then get a ticket to US and cross the Niagara falls border on a private vehicle. And I will be able to get my cousin bring my original copr document with him to present at the border.

My US visa says pr of Canada. Does that make a problem me boarding a flight from India to US. What if the Indian immigration or US immigration ask for my my canadian PR card at the airport?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
What ? you have me a bit confused / curious now.

Does a US visa have a field where it says PR of Canada ? really ? I didnt know that. Where does it say that ? First time I heard this and so wondering.

Thanks for educating me on this detail.

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
It says PR of Canada in the additional comments on the very bottom of the Us visitor visa affixed on my passport. Any thoughts on that?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
US Visas may or may not have annotations e.g. attending ABC conference etc.

The PR annotation is helpful in clarifying your status in Canada. Your plan of getting the COPR to the border is sensible...ask for a scanned copy via email so you have a copy to hand.

Get your passport ASAP and fly to the US...don't sweat the small stuff as the clock is ticking.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you know what no offence I m from pak. and I know a family they lost their pr cards back home while on vacation. Husband was canadian citizen. So,they let him come back,wife waited whole one year just,to get travel document to come back as embassy,said as u lost it so we have to make sure that noone travelled on that pr.
Long story short the way they,work back home is horrible n ofcourse time consuming but u r lucky that,you have us visa so don't stress out n come via usa. Best of,luck.

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
I am going to pickup the passport from the consulate tomorrow. I spoke to VFS today and I asked them if embassy will deny to return my passport back immediately and there answer is they don't know and I can go up to the embassy and ask them.

Does anyone know if embassy will return my passport back immediately if i request them to stop the process of my TD?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its your passport so yes they will give it back...they may or may not ask if you are withdrawing your TD application. If they don't ask I'd suggest not bringing this up..let the process run in the background and return to Canada ASAP.

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
So I asked the embassy to return my passport on Moday via email and on tuesday the contacted me to come meet the immigration officer in the embassy.
Spoke to her for 15 min and she said she will the travel document approved in an hour. No need to cancel the process.

THat was it. Back in canada now and have to renew my PR card.

Thanks for everyone's help here.