+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Expired, Waiting for Oath ceremony, need to travel - Need urgent help/advice

anupriya2986

Nov 5, 2021
Hi there, looking for some urgent help. My husband is scheduled to take his oath on Nov 19th, his PR card has expired and we are scheduled to travel to India on Dec 2nd. It's an urgent trip we need to make but we're not sure how he will be able to enter Canada since, after the oath ceremony, his PR status will expire and if he would be able to apply a travel document once he's in India. Some advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, looking for some urgent help. My husband is scheduled to take his oath on Nov 19th, his PR card has expired and we are scheduled to travel to India on Dec 2nd. It's an urgent trip we need to make but we're not sure how he will be able to enter Canada since, after the oath ceremony, his PR status will expire and if he would be able to apply a travel document once he's in India. Some advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
He won't qualify for a travel document once he is a citizen. He will need to apply for a Canadian passport to be able to return to Canada. I don't know if he has enough time to do this after his oath and while still in Canada or if he would need to do this from India. An alternative would be to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border.

The other option is to ask IRCC to postpone the citizenship oath. In that case he will need to apply for a PR Travel Document once he is in India in order to be able to return to Canada.

anupriya2986

Nov 5, 2021
He won't qualify for a travel document once he is a citizen. He will need to apply for a Canadian passport to be able to return to Canada. I don't know if he has enough time to do this after his oath and while still in Canada or if he would need to do this from India. An alternative would be to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border.

The other option is to ask IRCC to postpone the citizenship oath. In that case he will need to apply for a PR Travel Document once he is in India in order to be able to return to Canada.
Makes sense - thank you!

mohammedessam

Oct 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-Apr-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
13-May-2015
File Transfer...
06-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
10-Oct-2015
Ask the IRCC officer during the oath to expedite the certificate of citizenship.
You might be able to make it.
If you get the certificate of citizenship fast enough, you can apply for passport urgently and get it in 1 day.

anupriya2986

Nov 5, 2021
Ask the IRCC officer during the oath to expedite the certificate of citizenship.
You might be able to make it.
If you get the certificate of citizenship fast enough, you can apply for passport urgently and get it in 1 day.
Oh that could be a way as well. Thanks so much!