+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expired residing outside canada during Covid LOCKDOWN in canada and India

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I have one more question. I might go to Canada in next two months with my daughter who will be 2 years old in dec 2020. I did not apply for CCB earlier so should i apply it now or after going back to Canada?
You can't claim CCB until you are living in Canada with your daughter. Apply once you come back to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to be living in Canada with your child and planning on remaining in Canada for a minimum of 6 months during the year so you are a tax resident of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My MIL has spent 380 days in past 5 years and husband have spent 350 days. So due to very unavoidable circumstances they could not go back to Canada. Initially it was our marriage and then there were continuous 2 deaths in our family which disturbed everything and then finally when we decided to come back before PR expires MIL started getting sick from Oct 2019 and was hospitalised every mont since then till March. Also she got hospitalized in august-sep 2020 due to some urgent surgery. But now we really wanted to go back.
Would suggest you either try to apply for PRTD based on H&C or try to enter via the US land border if you have US visas. Given that they weren’t compliant with their RO when your MIL got sick it may be tough to get approved but definitely worth a shot. It sounds like you, your husband andyoyr MIL may have all been living in India for quite some time. Has your husband also been working in India for the past many years?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
So would it be easier to apply for new PR for my husband? And MIL could be sponsored for supervisa by her daughter who is Canadian citizen from past 25 years and later we can apply her PR again?
Yes; keep in mind to apply for PR again first they will have to either renounce their current PR status or have it revoked by applying for a PRTD and not appealing the refusal.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So would it be easier to apply for new PR for my husband? And MIL could be sponsored for supervisa by her daughter who is Canadian citizen from past 25 years and later we can apply her PR again?
Others have added good points. Would emphasize strongly here I wasn't suggesting not applying for PRTD, just caution about likelihood of success (based on info provided about the case, which obviously only partial).

So the question of 'would it be easier to apply for new PR' etc is perhaps not the best way to put it. It depends. In both cases, it may still make most sense to apply for PRTD (or enter through USA if that's a possibility) and see what happens; if unsuccessful in PRTD request, the option of applying anew for husband remains (after losing or renouncing PR status). And possibility of being granted PRTD does exist.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Please check elsewhere, I don't know much about CCB.

I dont' believe nil return is an issue (assuming you mean nil income), but the residency in Canada (tax and other) probably is, i don't know details.
Hi, I have another question. My husband and MIL got their PRTD and i came to Canada a month ago. What should we do next? Should they both apply for new PR card or renewal? Also will their previous spent time be counted towards 730 days?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I have another question. My husband and MIL got their PRTD and i came to Canada a month ago. What should we do next? Should they both apply for new PR card or renewal? Also will their previous spent time be counted towards 730 days?
What is written on their PRTD R-1 or RC-1? Do they have a valid PR card?