+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expired 4 days ago. Now in US - just realized it is expired

Christopher.B

Mar 31, 2018
My PR Card expired 4 days ago. I just realized this now.
I am in the US now visiting my parents for Easter.
I am a US Citizen living in Canada for past 5 years and have met all of the requirements to renew.
However I am flying back tomorrow morning (just left Toronto for USA on Friday and now will be returning Sunday so it's only been a few days here in US.)
I have USA Citizenship and NEXUS card that are current but need to be at my work on Monday morning so I am wondering what will happen when I get to Canadian Immigration in Toronto tomorrow...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My PR Card expired 4 days ago. I just realized this now.
I am in the US now visiting my parents for Easter.
I am a US Citizen living in Canada for past 5 years and have met all of the requirements to renew.
However I am flying back tomorrow morning (just left Toronto for USA on Friday and now will be returning Sunday so it's only been a few days here in US.)
I have USA Citizenship and NEXUS card that are current but need to be at my work on Monday morning so I am wondering what will happen when I get to Canadian Immigration in Toronto tomorrow...
You board the plane in the strength of your US passport. Don't tell the airline you are a PR.

When you arrive, you present yourself to CBSA as a PR and show your expired card. Given that your trip originated in Canada only a short time ago, CBSA isn't likely to give you any issues about it. If you get a prickly officer, they may request proof that you have been residing in Canada.

Christopher.B

Mar 31, 2018
If you have time can you feeback your experience for other readers who may have similar situation in future.
So I was able to come by in by plane. I used my Passport and when asked by the guard if I was a permanent resident I told him I was and that my card had expired a few days ago. He said to renew it online so it was not a problem. He said I did need to renew it and I just arrived back at home in Toronto and have filled out the form online and will have my photo made tomorrow and send it off by mail.

Reactions: Mthornt and scylla

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
So I was able to come by in by plane. I used my Passport and when asked by the guard if I was a permanent resident I told him I was and that my card had expired a few days ago. He said to renew it online so it was not a problem. He said I did need to renew it and I just arrived back at home in Toronto and have filled out the form online and will have my photo made tomorrow and send it off by mail.
Thanks for sharing the outcome.