+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired,how can I get a driving license? Urgent help needed.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Repeat point that in several provinces you could get id on basis of expired or card , and also qualify for medical service immediately. Obvious a bit difficult to say whether that makes it worth it for you to move to another province, but it is an option.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Repeat point that in several provinces you could get id on basis of expired or card , and also qualify for medical service immediately. Obvious a bit difficult to say whether that makes it worth it for you to move to another province, but it is an option.
Thank you very much for the information. Would you please tell me which provinces I can get ID on basis of expired PR card and qualify for MSP.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much for the information. Would you please tell me which provinces I can get ID on basis of expired PR card and qualify for MSP.
Ontario i believe, possibly Alberta. Note of course whatever équivalent provincial plan exists. Check for other provinces. BC the most restrictive about expired PR cards - by far - so to some degree all other provinces potential.

Note, you must continue to live in these provinces for health care coverage. IE if you arrive and then depart it can be denied and amounts paid recovered.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A small additional note: I do not know exactly how the BC requirements work except that they are quite strict. I'd assume that if your 'real' intent is to remain in BC, that doing a 'quasi-move' (or a pseudo-move) would not work and would present all kinds of additional issues and potential risks. Eg I'd assume that BC wouldn't just accept a DL from another province to allow you to 'hop back.'

Of course, no-one saying you'd need to stay in some other province forever. But probably until you get your residency obligation in order and possibly PR card renewed.

And I've no idea whether this is workable for you, all about priorities and your own choices.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
A small additional note: I do not know exactly how the BC requirements work except that they are quite strict. I'd assume that if your 'real' intent is to remain in BC, that doing a 'quasi-move' (or a pseudo-move) would not work and would present all kinds of additional issues and potential risks. Eg I'd assume that BC wouldn't just accept a DL from another province to allow you to 'hop back.'

Of course, no-one saying you'd need to stay in some other province forever. But probably until you get your residency obligation in order and possibly PR card renewed.

And I've no idea whether this is workable for you, all about priorities and your own choices.
Thank you so much for your detailed information. My friend has been inviting me to Toronto to work with her, maybe it is worth a shot.

All of my questions are answered.

Grateful to have you guys helping me.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for your detailed information. My friend has been inviting me to Toronto to work with her, maybe it is worth a shot.
Please check carefully what the requirements are - I don't claim to be an expert, and haven't been in this situation personally.

But I believe has frequently been reported that service ontario accepts recently (a year or two) expired PR cards, and Ontario currently waives the three-month waiting period to be covered by OHIP (government will eventually cancel that though).

I believe this can mostly be checked at service ontario websites or by calling - and most provinces now have something similar.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario will accept a COPR if the expired PR card is not, which is certainly more relaxed that ICBC. I don't see why a person couldn't obtain a DL and then immediately move back to BC. There's nothing that states how long a newly licensed driver in `Onterrible" (LOL!) must remain in Ontario.

However...a DL from another province would NOT be acceptable as Primary ID needed at ICBC, meaning it wouldn't be worth the trouble to move there for less than the 2 years it would take to meet the R.O. for PR card renewal. The OP's foreign passport would be just as good as an Ontario DL as secondary ID.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Please check carefully what the requirements are - I don't claim to be an expert, and haven't been in this situation personally.

But I believe has frequently been reported that service ontario accepts recently (a year or two) expired PR cards, and Ontario currently waives the three-month waiting period to be covered by OHIP (government will eventually cancel that though).

I believe this can mostly be checked at service ontario websites or by calling - and most provinces now have something similar.
I checked Ontario website, it accepts foreign passports or PR card (PR card expired no more than 5 years) or even landing paper (as long as it has legal name, signature and gender). Way relaxed than BC.

and yes there is no 3 month waiting period for OHIP

Reactions: armoured

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Ontario will accept a COPR if the expired PR card is not, which is certainly more relaxed that ICBC. I don't see why a person couldn't obtain a DL and then immediately move back to BC. There's nothing that states how long a newly licensed driver in `Onterrible" (LOL!) must remain in Ontario.

However...a DL from another province would NOT be acceptable as Primary ID needed at ICBC, meaning it wouldn't be worth the trouble to move there for less than the 2 years it would take to meet the R.O. for PR card renewal. The OP's foreign passport would be just as good as an Ontario DL as secondary ID.
Yes, I guess so. If i were to move to Toronto, I would need to stay there for 2 years, wait till the PR card renewed and move back to B.C. to get a valid ID here.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There's nothing that says an Ontario driver must remain in Ontario, but the reverse is not true - you can have serious problems (hypothetically anyway) in many jurisdictions if you move there and do not apply to transfer/get licensed. (Honestly don't know how that's enforced but I'd guess most likely through insurance) [And I suspect Ontario has some regulation on the books that those who move out of the province should have it cancelled, leaving again aside how that's enforced if at all]

Most provinces in Canada I think you're basically just given 90 days to apply to be licensed when moving there from other provinces, you can't just keep using your old license. So wouldn't work for this individual (same 'primary ID' issue in BC).

Again, the permission to drive's really not the main issue for the OP (who needs a local ID and hence suggesting 'just take transit' wasn't on the mark).

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I checked Ontario website, it accepts foreign passports or PR card (PR card expired no more than 5 years) or even landing paper (as long as it has legal name, signature and gender). Way relaxed than BC.

and yes there is no 3 month waiting period for OHIP
I does seem very relaxed, not noting anything about the age of the IMM 5292. So if a long gone PR was able to stumble into an Ontario DriveTest Center with their passport and an old landing document, they could get a DL and be good without a PR card until back in compliance with RO….Hmm, it would be nice if someone who has done this recently was able to provide some details about their experience.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I does seem very relaxed, not noting anything about the age of the IMM 5292. So if a long gone PR was able to stumble into an Ontario DriveTest Center with their passport and an old landing document, they could get a DL and be good without a PR card until back in compliance with RO….Hmm, it would be nice if someone who has done this recently was able to provide some details about their experience.
I do not know about five years but do recall having seen some here with PR cards one or two years expired. (Ontario specifically)

One thing we should have noted - very important - is whether or not the PR has a SIN and that it has been confirmed as not in 'dormancy' mode.

Side note - something I'll admit I have a strong opinion on, and something that I think cases like this are good examples of something on which IRCC is failing, from a policy perspective:

-if the "policy" is that non-compliance with the residency obligation is something that can be 'cured' by just remaining in Canada, and if those who are non-compliant but already in Canada are not here 'illegally', it is STUPID to make it more difficult or in some cases impossible for them to live and work here while they wait to become compliant.

It's STUPID to make it harder or impossible for them to work and pay taxes (the SIN dormancy issue), to demonstrate that they are residents of the province they're residing in (the DL/photo ID issue), and - from a public health perspective - to make it excessively hard to qualify for health care. (The health care one I had to phrase a bit carefully - because I recognize there is a real financial issue for provinces, and that eg BC has some reasons to make a PR demonstrate they're in Canada legally.)

And yes, not all of these issues are the fault of the feds/IRCC - but not working it out is still an abdication of responsibility for PRs.

As it is, the 'policy' seems to be that the only way to demonstrate one is in Canada legally is the PR card, but you can't get it unless you're compliant - therefore implying that the person is here illegally.

IRCC could very easily come up with a document - a letter - that just confirms the person (name date of birth etc) is a PR as of such-and-such a date and not make it usable as the PR cards now are, i.e. to re-enter Canada. It could be a simple letter. It's fundamentally no more complex than a database query - would you not scream if your employer couldn't print out a letter confirming you're an employee? Like, in an hour?

On the other hand, if IRCC wants to treat compliance with the residency obligation as a requirement to be considered 'legally in Canada' and if you're not, you're illegal - fine. Change the law.

But there is no worse policy in this context than to let people in and increase the likelihood they'll work illegally, become a public charge, etc. It benefits absolutely no-one.

And that's sort of where we've ended up with BC and others, enacting their own hodgepodge of requirements because IRCC wont' just come up with a simple confirmation document.

Sorry, [/end of rant.]

Reactions: Tubsmagee

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
I do not know about five years but do recall having seen some here with PR cards one or two years expired. (Ontario specifically)

One thing we should have noted - very important - is whether or not the PR has a SIN and that it has been confirmed as not in 'dormancy' mode.

Side note - something I'll admit I have a strong opinion on, and something that I think cases like this are good examples of something on which IRCC is failing, from a policy perspective:

-if the "policy" is that non-compliance with the residency obligation is something that can be 'cured' by just remaining in Canada, and if those who are non-compliant but already in Canada are not here 'illegally', it is STUPID to make it more difficult or in some cases impossible for them to live and work here while they wait to become compliant.

It's STUPID to make it harder or impossible for them to work and pay taxes (the SIN dormancy issue), to demonstrate that they are residents of the province they're residing in (the DL/photo ID issue), and - from a public health perspective - to make it excessively hard to qualify for health care. (The health care one I had to phrase a bit carefully - because I recognize there is a real financial issue for provinces, and that eg BC has some reasons to make a PR demonstrate they're in Canada legally.)

And yes, not all of these issues are the fault of the feds/IRCC - but not working it out is still an abdication of responsibility for PRs.

As it is, the 'policy' seems to be that the only way to demonstrate one is in Canada legally is the PR card, but you can't get it unless you're compliant - therefore implying that the person is here illegally.

IRCC could very easily come up with a document - a letter - that just confirms the person (name date of birth etc) is a PR as of such-and-such a date and not make it usable as the PR cards now are, i.e. to re-enter Canada. It could be a simple letter. It's fundamentally no more complex than a database query - would you not scream if your employer couldn't print out a letter confirming you're an employee? Like, in an hour?

On the other hand, if IRCC wants to treat compliance with the residency obligation as a requirement to be considered 'legally in Canada' and if you're not, you're illegal - fine. Change the law.

But there is no worse policy in this context than to let people in and increase the likelihood they'll work illegally, become a public charge, etc. It benefits absolutely no-one.

And that's sort of where we've ended up with BC and others, enacting their own hodgepodge of requirements because IRCC wont' just come up with a simple confirmation document.

Sorry, [/end of rant.]
Thank you, Armoured. I guess while I am in B.C., my pr status is valid unless it is revoked by an officer or renounced by myself.

I have the SIN paper, which doesn't include an expiration date. So I guess I can work here even if pr card expired.

I have been getting interviews, but not offer yet. was told that some employers need to see photoed ID, which I don't have. Hope that the future employer won't refuse me because of my expired PR card.

Since renewed PR card number is using the same number (UCI), I hope they will not make the life difficult for me or anyother person in my circumstance

Thank you very much once again, Armoured.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Thank you very much Tubsmangee, for you kind help.

It is very heart-warming to get information on the forum.

I am glad I get to know the information, otherwise I may have submitted my application for the renewal of PR card based on "Covid exemption"

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you, Armoured. I guess while I am in B.C., my pr status is valid unless it is revoked by an officer or renounced by myself.

I have the SIN paper, which doesn't include an expiration date. So I guess I can work here even if pr card expired.
Whether in BC or elsewhere in Canada, you are legally a resident of Canada. The non-compliance is (potentially) an issue with iRCC, but basically they will not take steps against you just for this - only getting examined will. In simple terms, that's applying to them for something, or most commonly, crossing the border back into Canada.

SIN number is for life. It's possible it was put into dormancy. That basically would mean that there's a flag on it that it can't be used to access from outside. It doesn't technically stop you from working; it's possible the employer would be contacted. (Anyway put that as a second order problem for now).

You might want to check with Service Canada. It won't affect your PR status. I dont' know about the rules for taking it out of dormant status with a recently expired PR card.

One note, you also spoke about bringing your family, you may not be able to sponsor them (fi they are not PRs) while not in compliance. Again, one step at a time.

Good luck.