+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired,how can I get a driving license? Urgent help needed.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Expensive flights are probably not going to be sufficient reason for not complying with RO.
The bigger reason is that
I planned to take my kids and parents to Vancouver, and they are more vulnerable to Coronavirus, so I decided to wait for Covid situation to improve. and when time moves onto 2022, Shanghai then had a lockdown

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I will ask ICBC this question tomorrow
I called ICBC again just now and asked what was required to prove the application had been submitted, and whether you had to wait for the AOR to be received. He said that they needed proof of the payment being made which could be printed online. Also noted that interim is only good for 60 days and that after that you have to go in and confirm status - whther anything has been received from IRCC. I suppose it is possible that you could get 60 days and maybe a second based on the receipt but longer than that… @yujue108 if you try getting the license, please let us know how it works.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
I called ICBC again just now and asked what was required to prove the application had been submitted, and whether you had to wait for the AOR to be received. He said that they needed proof of the payment being made which could be printed online. Also noted that interim is only good for 60 days and that after that you have to go in and confirm status - whther anything has been received from IRCC. I suppose it is possible that you could get 60 days and maybe a second based on the receipt but longer than that… @yujue108 if you try getting the license, please let us know how it works.
So with passport + receipt, I still can only get an interim id...?

why is it so difficult to obtain a photo ID.

I know Covid is no big deal for Canadians. but in China, it is way bigger trouble.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The bigger reason is that
I planned to take my kids and parents to Vancouver, and they are more vulnerable to Coronavirus, so I decided to wait for Covid situation to improve. and when time moves onto 2022, Shanghai then had a lockdown
Why didn't move sooner? There were direct flights in 2020 from Shanghai too!

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
So with passport + receipt, I still can only get an interim id...?
I don’t know that anyone can say for sure, but my impression from speaking with ICBC last night was that it was fairly easy process once you show proof that you have applied for PR card. I still think there is risk for you, given the significant period of non-compliance with RO. You should also think about what you will do if you are able to get an interim for 60 maybe 120 days, and then not able to get it renewed because ICBC is going to expect something more than a receipt (such as the AOR) at some point.

But please let us know how it works. This does seem to be a common theme, so having a recent experience would be helpful.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don’t know that anyone can say for sure, but my impression from speaking with ICBC last night was that it was fairly easy process once you show proof that you have applied for PR card. I still think there is risk for you, given the significant period of non-compliance with RO. You should also think about what you will do if you are able to get an interim for 60 maybe 120 days, and then not able to get it renewed because ICBC is going to expect something more than a receipt (such as the AOR) at some point.

But please let us know how it works. This does seem to be a common theme, so having a recent experience would be helpful.
I don't see how providing proof of payment = proof of applying for PR card. A person can very easily pay the fee, print off the receipt and never submit the actual application. I would hope that even ICBC would get that. However...

Since `proof' of a submitted PR card renewal application is not listed on their website as being in any way a bridge to having Primary ID, it must be some sort of internal policy at ICBC, which would mean that it's up to the person that is looking at the `proof' to determine if it works or not.

Last edited:

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022

I thought ICBC would give me a photo ID. if it is just an interim ID that lasts for several months, it would not worth the trouble...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought ICBC would give me a photo ID. if it is just an interim ID that lasts for several months, it would not worth the trouble...
IF you can get an interim DL, would it not allow you to obtain the things that you need...like MSP for you and your children? Yes, they would not extend/renew the interim DL until you have a new PR card (not likely based on your info), but it would make it a bit easier to live in BC, at least for a couple of months.

[Edited to remove the part about MSP. You don't meet the residency requirements to qualify (as mentioned in your other thread).]

Last edited:

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
The interim ID is a piece of paper that acts as a drivers license. It is not the plastic ID but would be better than nothing. You could always go into ICBC office and ask exactly what the process is. You are able to get it renewed/issued another interim ID, but it is unknown what would be required for that. You should go into the office and ask.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The interim ID is a piece of paper. It is not a photo ID.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
The interim ID is a piece of paper that acts as a drivers license. It is not the plastic ID but would be better than nothing. You could always go into ICBC office and ask exactly what the process is. You are able to get it renewed/issued another interim ID, but it is unknown what would be required for that. You should go into the office and ask.
Yes, if it is just the interim DL, I would not take the risk of renewing PR