+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card - entering USA without one?

kcs94

Feb 21, 2023
Hello!

My first PR card was shipped on July 4, and has not arrived. I am supposed to travel into the USA (I have esta, ECOPR, and passport from my home country) but not my PR card yet.

We will be going by private vehicle (owned by my wife, who will be with me). My only concern is getting back into Canada. Would I be able to get back in by private car without my PR card if it doesn't arrive tomorrow, with the documents mentioned above? Has anyone tried?

Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, just don't wanna get stuck in the USA.
You can reenter Canada by private car without a valid PR card. I would have evidence that you have landed and are waiting for your PR card as extra proof but it is technically not required.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As mentioned, a valid PR Card is not needed (but preferred by CBSA, I'm sure) at a land PoE.

It is only a commercial carrier (i.e. airline) that requires a valid PR Card (usual exception is a U.S. citizen holding a valid U.S. passport).

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
Can someone clarify the defination of Private car, can we take rent a car from US and enter using COPR and return the car in Canada or does it have to be a individual owned car

kcs94

Feb 21, 2023
I just went and came back - they asked for proof of COPR and we provided it. No PR card needed. No problem at all.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can someone clarify the defination of Private car, can we take rent a car from US and enter using COPR and return the car in Canada or does it have to be a individual owned car
I believe the technical term is "scheduled carriers." Things like buses or airplanes or trains where a company provides this service on q regular basis.

Rented vehicles or taxis do not fall under this definition and are fine.