+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card, Clarification on the 730 days requirement

Dombo

Oct 21, 2019
Here's my situation,

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in the UK with my partner and 3 kids under a "Spouse/partner leave to enter visa". (I have lived in the UK for close to 2.5 years)

My partner, a UK citizen, currently holding a Canadian PR card will need to renew her PR card soon.

In order for my partner to be able to renew her PR card it states clear as day on the Government of Canada website that she needs to be in the country for 730 days during the last 5 years. It also states "Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days "

This is where I need clarification.

i read somewhere that the time you have spent abroad can count towards the PR requirement under the following circumstances:
  • adults travelling with Canadian spouse or partners
  • etc...
Because I have been living with my partner in the UK, will that time counts towards the 730 days?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Currently the time spent abroad accompanying a citizen can usually be counted for the residency obligation but not towards citizenship which requires physical presence. The PR needs to ensure they keep documentation proving that they moved abroad with their Canada spouse.

PR cards cannot be renewed from outside Canada so as and when travel to Canada is required need a PRTD.

Dombo

Oct 21, 2019
Currently the time spent abroad accompanying a citizen can usually be counted for the residency obligation but not towards citizenship which requires physical presence. The PR needs to ensure they keep documentation proving that they moved abroad with their Canada spouse.

PR cards cannot be renewed from outside Canada so as and when travel to Canada is required need a PRTD.
Thanks for the reply,
I was wondering whether or not the fact that I was in the UK under a visa made a difference.