+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card application abandoned, residency affected?

zeta7

Feb 8, 2009
Hello,

I completed my residency landing in May '08, and I left Canada a week later. I plan to move permanently to Canada in early 2010. I provided a friend's address for the residency card. However, a letter was sent out indicating a problem with the photos. I called CIC, and was told that I didn't *have* to go right away, and could re-apply for the PR card when I returned in 2010 using a travel document.

I decided not to return just for photographs; but another mail was sent out last week for a final notice about the photos, with the following conclusion: "If you fail to attend, your application will be abandoned and you will have to submit another application."

When they say "application", are they just referring to the PR card application, or the entire residency application itself? Will not applying for the PR card have any bearing on the residency itself while I'm outside Canada?

Please advise. Thanks everyone.

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
no, your PR status is secure

however, if you fly into Canada, you'll need a special travel document issued to PRs with no PR card, apply at the embassy/consulate nearest to you, fee involved