+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card and reporting for medical surveillance for inactive tuberculosis

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
max101 said:
max101 said:
I landed in 2006 and stayed for 3 days, I had TB Surveillance letter as well. I called the number from inside canada and told them that I will be returning to US in few days. the Lady said I can contact them when I return to Canada. I also asked her if I need to "inactivate" my file until I return, she said No, just call them when I return.

.... and Fast Forward 3 Years...

I am planning to move back to Canada this Year to maintain my PR, I planning goto to the surveillance when I get there. I would also like to hear from others regarding this situation.
Hey zhcan,

..Fast forward 2 more months.. and Here is an update on my situation:

I came back to Canada again in August of 2009. The Canadian Officer checked my records in computer and said that I could not be located for for medical exam in 2007.

I explained to her that I had called the TB Surveillance in 2006 and told them that I will be out of country. The officer did not seem happy to know that I was out of country for so long. She also reminded me that I must stay in Canada 2 years out of 5 year to maintain my PR.

The officer then gave me the phone number and address of the TB survelliance and asked me to contact them ASAP.

The next day I called TB Surveillance, and they asked me to fax the surveillance form which i still had from 2006 landing. I asked them if I could email it as i did not have fax. They said no. So I went to the office in person and handed them the form. They made a copy of it and returned my copy.

According to them, the next step is that they will check the records and then notify me when I should come in for check up. That will be in about 2 weeks or so. I asked them what will be involved in check up. They said x-ray and sputum sample test. I am waiting for them to contact me. I will update you again.
..Fast forward 2 more months..

My first appointment was in October 2009, I went to the Clinic as scheduled. The doctor asked me few questions about my history. She said that I need to take Sputum test. I was given 3 small containers and instructions on how to collect the samples. Also, they made another appointment for January 2010 and scheduled to take an x-ray during that appointment. I submitted the sputum samples on the following week. I will visit clinic again for my next appointment in January 2010.

Reactions: JDCanada

azolyma2canada

Nov 2, 2009
max101,
good day. i have also inactive tuberculosis and had treatment before. we just finished our medical 2 weeks ago. is it not necessary for my kids to have xray? our DMP did not request for them. will it delay the process?

simplesimon

Star Member
Jul 10, 2009
max

Just curious to know how can one provide sputum when there is no expectoration ???? I can see myself having difficulty with that.

I hope this will not be too embarassing to reply !

Tx

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
azolyma2canada said:
max101,
good day. i have also inactive tuberculosis and had treatment before. we just finished our medical 2 weeks ago. is it not necessary for my kids to have xray? our DMP did not request for them. will it delay the process?
azolyma2canada, sorry I don't know about x-rays for kids.

simplesimon said:
max
Just curious to know how can one provide sputum when there is no expectoration ???? I can see myself having difficulty with that.
I hope this will not be too embarassing to reply !
Tx
simplesimon, I had very hard time to cough sputum too, I tried their suggestion of inhaling warm steam, but still it was difficult. I just coughed up whatever I could. after few days of trying it got a little better. but still I think most of the content may be just saliva.

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
max101 said:
Hey zhcan,

I came back to Canada again in August of 2009. The Canadian Officer checked my records in computer and said that I could not be located for for medical exam in 2007.

I explained to her that I had called the TB Surveillance in 2006 and told them that I will be out of country. The officer did not seem happy to know that I was out of country for so long. She also reminded me that I must stay in Canada 2 years out of 5 year to maintain my PR.

The officer then gave me the phone number and address of the TB survelliance and asked me to contact them ASAP.

The next day I called TB Surveillance, and they asked me to fax the surveillance form which i still had from 2006 landing. I asked them if I could email it as i did not have fax. They said no. So I went to the office in person and handed them the form. They made a copy of it and returned my copy.

According to them, the next step is that they will check the records and then notify me when I should come in for check up. That will be in about 2 weeks or so. I asked them what will be involved in check up. They said x-ray and sputum sample test. I am waiting for them to contact me. I will update you again.

..Fast forward 2 more months..

My first appointment was in October 2009, I went to the Clinic as scheduled. The doctor asked me few questions about my history. She said that I need to take Sputum test. I was given 3 small containers and instructions on how to collect the samples. Also, they made another appointment for January 2010 and scheduled to take an x-ray during that appointment. I submitted the sputum samples on the following week. I will visit clinic again for my next appointment in January 2010.
..Fast forward 3 more months to Jan 2010.. this is another update:

I went for another TB Surveillance appointment this week. This time, I had an x-ray as required, the doctor checked the x-ray and said the x-ray is fine. They did not mention anything about the sputum test results, so I assume that was ok too.

The doctor asked some details about my TB history. She said they will schedule for me to come back for another appointment after 1 year. They like to verify that my x-ray is consistent after one year. They did not give the exact appointment date. I guess I will call back later to confirm.

Also, just for information, I had to use my CareCard for the x-ray. I thought the fees were covered by immigration. However, I did not have to use CareCard or pay any fees for the Surveillance appointments with doctor. In any case I did not have to pay out of pocket, so it is cool.

monchail911

Aug 10, 2010
Dear Max101,

Where did you land? I am planning to land @Toronto on Sep 4, 2010(next month) and I will be back to the US about Sep 9,2010 because I am studying in the US. If you landed in Toronto, can you provide me the phone number and the address of TB Surveillance office? I want to make an appointment with them before landing. My real plan is to be in Canada in 2012, not now. I'm really not ready for now.

Regards,
Monchail911

max101 said:
Hey zhcan,

hyh

Dec 28, 2010
Dear All,

First of all I wanna thank everyone in this forum for their great efforts ;D

I’m planning to land in Toronto on 20.01.11 ( I mentioned "Ontario - Ottawa" as my landing province in the initial application ). After finishing the landing formalities, I’ll fly to Montreal because my relatives are staying there.
Once in Montreal, I’m planning to contact the medical surveillance guys to take an appointment.(BTW my case is “inactive TB” and I have no TB history)
Keep in mind that my flight back is scheduled on 05.02.11 so I have around two weeks in Canada and I'm not planing to settle down in Canada until 2013.

Now my questions :

1. Can I fly from Toronto to Montreal directly after finishing the landing formalities ? ( i"m not planing to leave Toronto Airport)

2. In the "medical surveillance handout" that i received with the COPR it's clearly mentioned that i should contact "a public health authority in your province/territory of residence unless you are living in Quebec"
Now since I'm staying with my relatives in Quebec, can i do the medical surveillance in Quebec or i have to start the process in Toronto ? and if i started my medical surveillance process in Toronto, can i do the follow up in Quebec ?

3. Would two weeks be enough to finish the surveillance issue ?? ( I’ve read a lot of threads on the forum and apparently it can take up to 3 years)

4. If the surveillance is not concluded during my stay in Canada, will I get my PR or PR won’t be issued until the medical surveillance is done ??

5. Can I call the medical surveillance guys before landing (from my country) to take an appointment ??

6. I'm planing to settle in Montreal so what shall i do after landing to transfer my case to Quebec ?

I really appreciate the time that you took to read the above and your input on the same.

Thank you and God bless..

Naija Pikin

Sep 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-8-2010
VISA ISSUED...
2-4-2012
hyh said:
Dear All,

First of all I wanna thank everyone in this forum for their great efforts ;D

I'm planning to land in Toronto on 20.01.11 ( I mentioned "Ontario - Ottawa" as my landing province in the initial application ). After finishing the landing formalities, I'll fly to Montreal because my relatives are staying there.
Once in Montreal, I'm planning to contact the medical surveillance guys to take an appointment.(BTW my case is “inactive TB” and I have no TB history)
Keep in mind that my flight back is scheduled on 05.02.11 so I have around two weeks in Canada and I'm not planing to settle down in Canada until 2013.

Now my questions :

1. Can I fly from Toronto to Montreal directly after finishing the landing formalities ? ( i"m not planing to leave Toronto Airport)

2. In the "medical surveillance handout" that i received with the COPR it's clearly mentioned that i should contact "a public health authority in your province/territory of residence unless you are living in Quebec"
Now since I'm staying with my relatives in Quebec, can i do the medical surveillance in Quebec or i have to start the process in Toronto ? and if i started my medical surveillance process in Toronto, can i do the follow up in Quebec ?

3. Would two weeks be enough to finish the surveillance issue ?? ( I've read a lot of threads on the forum and apparently it can take up to 3 years)

4. If the surveillance is not concluded during my stay in Canada, will I get my PR or PR won't be issued until the medical surveillance is done ??

5. Can I call the medical surveillance guys before landing (from my country) to take an appointment ??

6. I'm planing to settle in Montreal so what shall i do after landing to transfer my case to Quebec ?

I really appreciate the time that you took to read the above and your input on the same.

Thank you and God bless..

HI ALL, DID YOU GUYS WITH THIS MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE FORM, INDICATE THAT YOU HAD TB IN YOUR BACKGROUND DECLARATION FORM, OR WAS IT AT THE DMP STAGE THAT YOU DECLARED THE TB HISTORY?.
I HAD POTTS DISEASE(A NON CONTAGIOUS TB) OF THE SPINE AT INFANCY, BUT DID NOT DECLARE IT IN MY B/D FORM, BUT I INTEND T MENTION IT TO THE DMP.
PLEASE CAN ANY OF YOU GOOD GUYS REPLY THIS.

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
max101 said:
..Fast forward 3 more months to Jan 2010.. this is another update:

I went for another TB Surveillance appointment this week. This time, I had an x-ray as required, the doctor checked the x-ray and said the x-ray is fine. They did not mention anything about the sputum test results, so I assume that was ok too.

The doctor asked some details about my TB history. She said they will schedule for me to come back for another appointment after 1 year. They like to verify that my x-ray is consistent after one year. They did not give the exact appointment date. I guess I will call back later to confirm.

Also, just for information, I had to use my CareCard for the x-ray. I thought the fees were covered by immigration. However, I did not have to use CareCard or pay any fees for the Surveillance appointments with doctor. In any case I did not have to pay out of pocket, so it is cool.
.. Fast Forward 1 year to Jan 2011 and here is my update:

I had received letter of appointment about a month ago, and this week I went to the TB clinic as per the scheduled appointment. My last appointment was back in Jan 2010. I got another X-Ray this time and talked with a doctor. The doctor compared the X-Ray from the previous year and today's X-ray. She asked me few questions regarding my history and my current health. The doctor said that things are ok and I don't need any more follow up. So I think I am done with Surveillance.

ajeet1976

Jan 19, 2009
Max - Firstly thanks for helping people like us out who are in similar boat with your experiences.
In my situation, during medical test, I told the doc that I had TB as a child and got cured and the X-ray he took turned out to be clean. But I still got furthered by CIC who asked that I do Sputum test and another x-ray. Both were normal. Now I have got a medical survelliance of " inactive tb" .

Now, do you still think when I land in canada I will be asked to do yet another sputum test ? or will only an X-ray be enough ? This will be my 3rd x-ray within a year and 2nd sputum if so.

what are your thoughts ? I'm Really tired of this and want to get it over with. How long do I need to keep going through tests when its clear that I have nothing and the X-rays and Sputum are both clear.

thoughts?

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
Ajeet1976, It's hard to tell what the doctor will decide in your case regarding another sputum test. In my case I did not have sputum test during the PR application process.
- Best wishes on your journey to Canada.

littlebching

Apr 10, 2010
Dear all,

Thank you for your sharing!
Recently, I got a big concern in my TB medical exam. I recevied a letter, and it shows me I got a inactive TB (code S 2.02) as well. Most of people tell me I should be fine, but i worry that I have to take a treatment for a 9-12 months long before I land. Do you guys had a same problem? What is the next procedure? My application is in canada and transfer to LA.

ajeet1976

Jan 19, 2009
Max- Is the medical surveillance follow ups independent of the PR card process ?

In other words, were you able to file and receive your PR card whiile you were undergoing the medical surveillance check ups?

CEC dream

Mar 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
littlebching said:
Dear all,

Thank you for your sharing!
Recently, I got a big concern in my TB medical exam. I recevied a letter, and it shows me I got a inactive TB (code S 2.02) as well. Most of people tell me I should be fine, but i worry that I have to take a treatment for a 9-12 months long before I land. Do you guys had a same problem? What is the next procedure? My application is in canada and transfer to LA.
Hi guys
My file is in process. Expect medical request in a month or so. Quite concerned coz i have inactive TB. I was treated for TB in 1995 since then i have never had any problem after treatment but my lung field still has some blurring(scaring) and is always visible in chest x rays.
what will be my chances . will i pass the meds exams?
Can you guys share your thoughts,opinions and experience.
I have been in Canada for last four years.
When came to canada 4 yrs back i was handed out a servailance form.
I reported in the clinic as asked to.
I gave 2 xreys in 2years