+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card and new passport

Wave1rose

Jul 7, 2021
Hello Everyone
I need some guidance. I have a PR Card (renewed last year) and am currently out of Canada. I recently got a new Australian passport and my Indian passport has been renounced (as its a requirement). Is my PR card or permanent residency linked with my Indian passport, do I need to change my passport with CIC ? If yes, please guide how can i do it.
Please note I need to travel from Australia to Canada in next few weeks. Thanks for your help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone
I need some guidance. I have a PR Card (renewed last year) and am currently out of Canada. I recently got a new Australian passport and my Indian passport has been renounced (as its a requirement). Is my PR card or permanent residency linked with my Indian passport, do I need to change my passport with CIC ? If yes, please guide how can i do it.
Please note I need to travel from Australia to Canada in next few weeks. Thanks for your help
No, you don't need to change anything or update. There may be info about your Indian passport (and nationality ) in the system, but that doesn't matter. It may be a good idea to have a photocopy of your old Indian passport with you, just so that they can identify you properly (should any questions arise). Possibly an officer might make a note in file with the new passport data.

This is common enough, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Reactions: Wave1rose

Wave1rose

Jul 7, 2021
No, you don't need to change anything or update. There may be info about your Indian passport (and nationality ) in the system, but that doesn't matter. It may be a good idea to have a photocopy of your old Indian passport with you, just so that they can identify you properly (should any questions arise). Possibly an officer might make a note in file with the new passport data.

This is common enough, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Thank you so much