+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card and entering Canada

Strongberry

Mar 4, 2021
I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend, who left Canada before receiving her first PR card.

My friend managed to have her friend bring the card to her from Canada abroad, and is planning to arrive in Canada with that PR card. As far as I know, my friend should apply for a PRTD even though she has the PR card on hand because she was not in Canada when her card arrived. However, her immigration consultant says it's ok to just use her PR Card to return to Canada.

I would love to hear you guys' opinion on this, or what did you do if you actually came across this situation.

Strongberry

Mar 4, 2021
She can just use the card.
Thank you armoured. But will she be asked questions at the border such as 'how did you get your PR card if you weren't in Canada when the card arrived' when she returns to Canada by air?

I remember seeing some discussions where the CIC agent says don't mail the PR card or have someone bring it abroad for you. Not sure if this was to prevent lost card in mail/stolen identity issue, or the behavior itself was against some rule? Since my friend has already got her card, will she be asked questions about what she did to obtain the card?

Strongberry

Mar 4, 2021
I just realized I posted the question under the wrong section. My friend isn't moving to Canada from the U.S. but from South Korea. Not sure if this applies differently.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you armoured. But will she be asked questions at the border such as 'how did you get your PR card if you weren't in Canada when the card arrived' when she returns to Canada by air?

I remember seeing some discussions where the CIC agent says don't mail the PR card or have someone bring it abroad for you. Not sure if this was to prevent lost card in mail/stolen identity issue, or the behavior itself was against some rule? Since my friend has already got her card, will she be asked questions about what she did to obtain the card?
I have never heard of anyone being asked this. No, it's not against the rules, the whole thing is made up. About the only sensitivity I'm aware of is that IRCC won't post them abroad (usually) and in some cases the PR must physically be in Canada to receive.

Does not apply to this case. Stop thinking about it.

Reactions: Strongberry

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend, who left Canada before receiving her first PR card.

My friend managed to have her friend bring the card to her from Canada abroad, and is planning to arrive in Canada with that PR card. As far as I know, my friend should apply for a PRTD even though she has the PR card on hand because she was not in Canada when her card arrived. However, her immigration consultant says it's ok to just use her PR Card to return to Canada.

I would love to hear you guys' opinion on this, or what did you do if you actually came across this situation.
She does not neeed a PRTD. Not sure why you think she needs one because she was not in Canada when her PR card arrived. There is no such rule.

The only reason she would need a PRTD is if she did not have a valid PR card.

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
Hello Everyone! I just want to ask anyone in this forum who didn't meet residency obligation and reported at the Port of Entry and then faced the trial? Can anybody share his/her own experience?

Thanks and regards,

Eusufzai

Strongberry

Mar 4, 2021
Thanks everyone for your answers! It's great to know the facts so my friend and I could stop thinking about it :)

Sharth kumar

Jan 12, 2018
Hi everyone,
We got our PR in Oct 2021. After 14 days we traveled to Nepal due to a family emergency. before this, I got my PR card but my wife didn't get her pr card. We applied for PRTD on Jan 2 2022 from Nepal by email. But to date, we didn't get any response. Any suggestion, please.