+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Cancellation

canpr11

Mar 25, 2012
Hello !

It is very unfortunate that things didnt work out for me in Canada. Hence I would like to cancel my PR and appreciate if seniors can advise what is the procedure for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no reason you would have to cancel it and there is no process to do it really. If you must, send a registered letter to the Canadian embassy where you live stating that you want to cancel your PR. Include your PR card. I am sure they will have no idea how to handle that though. It would be easier once you are outside Canada for more than 3 years and do not meet the residency requirements any more. Then you could apply for a travel document to the Canadian embassy and write on it that you don't actually want it, you just want them to revoke your PR. Then they would because there is a process for that.

canpr11

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks a lot Leon for your replies and dedication in this forum. Bless you for all your help.

Well, I am presently in Canada and have not completed my 2 years stay. To complete PR cancellation formalities, I know I have file income tax return, cancel health card etc. Can I just leave without notifying any government body ? Which government agency do I report and submit my PR cancellation, in case it require formal submission. :mad:

Thanks again in advance for your further clarification.

Cheers !

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As for the taxes, you would still file for 2012 because you spent a part of 2012 in Canada and as you file, you notify them you have left Canada and ask them to consider you non-resident for tax purposes. You do not have to cancel the health card but you can also tell them that you are leaving if you do not intend to come back.

However, there is no reason why you must cancel your PR. If you want to leave, you can just leave or if you are in Canada, even though you don't meet the residency requirements, you can stay until you do and then apply to renew your PR card.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
There is no reason you would have to cancel it and there is no process to do it really. If you must, send a registered letter to the Canadian embassy where you live stating that you want to cancel your PR. Include your PR card. I am sure they will have no idea how to handle that though. It would be easier once you are outside Canada for more than 3 years and do not meet the residency requirements any more. Then you could apply for a travel document to the Canadian embassy and write on it that you don't actually want it, you just want them to revoke your PR. Then they would because there is a process for that.

Actually there is a process to relinquish your PR. Status. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf Section 13.4

canpr11

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks a lot Leon and PMM for your dedicated clarifications and prompt response.

Cheers and have a nice day !