+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR BUT WORKED OUTSIDE CANADA

capsfred

Sep 27, 2013
I initially landed in Toronto on March 12, 2011, stayed for 30 days, then went back to my work in Saudi Arabia to save more funds that I would be needing for my settlement in Canada. While working in Saudi, I frequently go home to my home country Philippines for short vacations. I'm planning to land permanently in Canada before the end of January 2014. My PR will expire April 19,2016. My questions are:

1. Would I be eligible to renew my PR?
2. What possible problems may I face on the renewal of PR? Would they ask about the many entry stamps on my passport due to my frequent travel to the Philippines? What should I do?
3. Would I face problem at the Toronto airport when I land before end of January 2014? What is the best explanation to the immigration just in case?

thanks a lot.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Given the information you have provided...
1) Yes
2) They may do, so keep good records.
3) As long as you return by the end of February 2014, you can comply with the residency obligation requirements. They will alert you to the fact that you are close to the limit and suggest that you don't leave Canada until you have sufficient days. You will be permitted to enter regardless. Just tell them that you have now returned to settle.

capsfred

Sep 27, 2013
zardoz said:
Given the information you have provided...
1) Yes
2) They may do, so keep good records.
3) As long as you return by the end of February 2014, you can comply with the residency obligation requirements. They will alert you to the fact that you are close to the limit and suggest that you don't leave Canada until you have sufficient days. You will be permitted to enter regardless. Just tell them that you have now returned to settle.
thanks zardoz, clarification in #2, what kind of records?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keep good records of your travels and addresses because you will be asked for it when you apply to renew your PR card.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dates of travel, passport stamps etc. All they are interested in at PR card renewal is if you have met the residency obligations, so they might ask you to prove that you actually were in Canada for the required 730 days in the 5 year period ending on the day that they receive the renewal application. For this, you need to make sure that you keep any documentation that shows activity inside Canada during those days as well. Look on the forum for a wealth of information on this, particularly from Leon.

(His ears must have been burning :D )

capsfred

Sep 27, 2013
Leon said:
Keep good records of your travels and addresses because you will be asked for it when you apply to renew your PR card.
thanks leon. if I need to go out of Canada for a while between January 2014 and March 2016 in an emergency situation that I have to attend back home, would i face problem in coming back?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You would be allowed back but if for any reason you managed to be outside for long enough to then be unable to meet the residency obligation requirements, you *could* be reported. You take the risk of meeting a CBSA agent that has just had a really bad day and is feeling vindictive.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you come back to Canada having been outside for close to 3 years, you have used up almost all your "outside" time. If the immigration officer puts a note on your file that you arrived on such and such day and that you had been outside for almost 3 years, if you leave again, when you come back, the next immigration officer may see that remark and may suspect you of not meeting the residency obligation. Worst case, they could report you in which case you would have to appeal for your PR, proving your time in Canada.

If you must leave because an emergency, you should keep your boarding card from your trip leaving Canada to show it when you re-enter so you can show that you only made a short trip that time.

If you do not meet the RO any more, it is still possible that they let you in without reporting you in which case you should stay in Canada and not try to renew your PR card until you meet the RO again, even if that means that you have to let your PR card expire.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you meet the RO or are still able to meet the RO, you can sponsor your common law partner right away.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
capsfred said:
can I sponsor my common law partner as soon as I arrived in Canada?
Given Saudi Law impacting on living arrangements for non married couples are you able to prove the common law relationship?