+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR, BC card, MSP issues (Vancouver, BC)

jenny2802

Sep 7, 2018
Hi, I've tried to search the forum but can't find answers anywhere.

We arrived in Vancouver this week from London. We have COPR and went yesterday to get our SIN number (no problem).

- We went to ICBC today to get a BC card, but we need a PR card to apply. Our COPR or British passports don't count as primary ID.

- Our PR card isn't due to arrive for 62 days (and we currently don't have a permanent address for the card to be sent to).

- We want to apply for MSP here, but need a BC card to do this.

It appears we're stuck? Has anyone else faced this problem?

ThanksJenny

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

We arrived in Vancouver this week from London. We have COPR and went yesterday to get our SIN number (no problem).

- We went to ICBC today to get a BC card, but we need a PR card to apply. Our COPR or British passports don't count as primary ID.

- Our PR card isn't due to arrive for 62 days (and we currently don't have a permanent address for the card to be sent to).

ThanksJenny
You have 3 months waiting period for MSP anyway. So you can wait till you get your PR card, BC card...etc to apply.

jenny2802

Sep 7, 2018
You have 3 months waiting period for MSP anyway. So you can wait till you get your PR card, BC card...etc to apply.
Ah I see, so does the three month waiting period start from when you land, rather than from when you apply/enroll? Concerned that we'll apply in 6 weeks when we can get a BC card, but then will have to wait another three months on top for medical coverage?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ah I see, so does the three month waiting period start from when you land, rather than from when you apply/enroll? Concerned that we'll apply in 6 weeks when we can get a BC card, but then will have to wait another three months on top for medical coverage?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
From BC MSP:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/applicants-for-permanent-resident-status
When Does Coverage Begin?

New (and returning) residents are required to complete a wait period consisting of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two months before benefits can begin. The date residency is considered to have been established is determined by the Ministry of Health based on a number of factors, including the type of immigration status held.

It's starts from when you land (not soft landing as some does) permanently as PR. And it's 2 months plus the balance of the month that you arrived.

I think you only need the number that's assigned to you and the physical card may arrive later.

roverbon

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017

ThanksJenny
have you applied the BC driver license, that may do as a primary ID as well.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You haven't answered me: does new immigrants have IMM 1000?
I don't know. ICBC website didn't mention IMM 1000. From googling, it's only given out before 2002.

What is the IMM 1000?
An IMM 1000 Record of Landing (also known as a Landing Paper) is a document that new Permanent Residents received when they landed in Canada prior to July 2002.

I am just helping OP to understand the 3 months wait for MSP. Why are you screaming at me?

If you are unsure of what documents are allowed as primary ID for ICBC, then you can contact them directly.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I went through the "Confirm my ID" pages and saw this
Primary ID
Bring one of the following:

Valid Permanent Resident Card (must not be expired)

or

Canadian Record of Landing/Canadian Immigration Identification Record (form IMM1000 only)

I think they accept IMM1000 because it's a more formally printed document (special paper with stamp). The new COPR are just regular paper with print out information and can be easily forged.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know. ICBC website didn't mention IMM 1000. From googling, it's only given out before 2002.

What is the IMM 1000?
An IMM 1000 Record of Landing (also known as a Landing Paper) is a document that new Permanent Residents received when they landed in Canada prior to July 2002.

I am just helping OP to understand the 3 months wait for MSP. Why are you screaming at me?

If you are unsure of what documents are allowed as primary ID for ICBC, then you can contact them directly.
I'm not screaming. It's just that you quoted my post but did not answer it. I know what document is acceptable to ICBC and what were not.

There was nothing special about the 1000 compare to 5292 form.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm not screaming. It's just that you quoted my post but did not answer it. I know what document is acceptable to ICBC and what were not.

There was nothing special about the 1000 compare to 5292 form.
So to answer your question, only "new immigrate" before 2002 has IMM1000.
It's the rule by ICBC, so ask them why.

I think most common document new immigrates get is IMM5292 or 5509. Then they will get PR card. (PR card wasn't given out before 2002 and IMM1000 was the only document used before PRs become citizens)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_permanent_resident_card

This is unrelated but it will give you an idea how they look differently:
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/redir.do?redir=id_num

brttnywtlngtn

Jan 7, 2017
Denver
I don’t know if it helps but when I moved to Vancouver, I went to ICBC to exchange my license, telling them I had just landed and I had my COPR and my passport. They took that as proof, went through all of the processes for getting me set up with a new license (I was able to use mine as proof of my driving experience.)

I was issued a temporary ID.

I was then told I would just have to come back to ICBC when I got my PR card and then they would mail out my license to me.

I went home and applied for MSP with my wife and was given a letter a few weeks later telling me to go into ICBC. I got a temporary health number assigned to me and then the same thing: when I got my PR card, I would go in and show them and they would mail it out to me.

According to the website, my stuff was mailed out the 6th.

It was a pretty simple process, just a few trips to ICBC here and there.

I’m sorry this was wordy, I’m sure but I hope it helps.

Reactions: YVR123