+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR approved, what next?

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We applied for PR through spousal sponsorship, outland route (but still staying in Canada). It was a very quick process and took only 2.5 months to be approved! We received the approval letter and were asked to call a number to arrange an appointment at our nearest CIC office. I'm just waiting to hear back from the office for my appointment date.

But I am just curious to know where that puts me currently and what will be done at the CIC office? Will I receive or apply for my PR card? When do I receive my SIN number for work? And am I now able to apply for OHIP (I have been living in Ontario for already 3 months plus).

Thanks for any replies :)

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hannahmay said:
We applied for PR through spousal sponsorship, outland route (but still staying in Canada). It was a very quick process and took only 2.5 months to be approved! We received the approval letter and were asked to call a number to arrange an appointment at our nearest CIC office. I'm just waiting to hear back from the office for my appointment date.

But I am just curious to know where that puts me currently and what will be done at the CIC office? Will I receive or apply for my PR card? When do I receive my SIN number for work? And am I now able to apply for OHIP (I have been living in Ontario for already 3 months plus).

Hi ,
you will receive your CoPR on the spot , you need to apply afterward for your PR Card , you can then go to Service Canada and get your SIN in the sport , you will be eligible for OHIP 3 months after landing . time spent in Ontario before landing doesn't count .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your status hasn't changed. You won't qualify for OHIP or to apply for a SIN until after you have landed at the local office and officially become a PR.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hannahmay said:

1. the officer who processes your landing will fill out the pr card application and send it to the processing office for you. it will be some time before you get it. you do not need it to get any services in ontario. your copr and passport will work for everything a pr card is needed for.

2. you won't get your sin # at landing. you will have to go to the local service canada location in your area to get one. all you will need is your copr and passport.

3. OHIP has very strict requirements for approval, so you will need to go to the service ontario website and look at the required document list. You will be able to use your COPR and your passport to apply for ohip, plus 1 other document to prove residency - this is the requirement they are the strictest about. If you can prove you've lived in Ontario for 3 months already, you'll get it right away i think. otherwise, you'll have to wait until 90 days after landing for it to kick in.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11, 2016 (recd June 13 by CIC)
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: August 11, 2016
Med's Done....
Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Wow, another quick turnaround for PR at 2.5 months. May I ask your country of origin and timeline of your AOR, SA etc and which visa office processed your app? Thanks. :) Our application was submitted on June 11 and my wife is from the Philippines.

annakrystyna13

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
1. the officer who processes your landing will fill out the pr card application and send it to the processing office for you. it will be some time before you get it. you do not need it to get any services in ontario. your copr and passport will work for everything a pr card is needed for.

2. you won't get your sin # at landing. you will have to go to the local service canada location in your area to get one. all you will need is your copr and passport.

3. OHIP has very strict requirements for approval, so you will need to go to the service ontario website and look at the required document list. You will be able to use your COPR and your passport to apply for ohip, plus 1 other document to prove residency - this is the requirement they are the strictest about. If you can prove you've lived in Ontario for 3 months already, you'll get it right away i think. otherwise, you'll have to wait until 90 days after landing for it to kick in.
Actually, some offices DO have Service Canada stations at their locations and they are able to issue your SIN there. Which office are you landing at?
Your landing letter will tell you whether you can obtain your SIN there.

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S_and_C said:
Wow, another quick turnaround for PR at 2.5 months. May I ask your country of origin and timeline of your AOR, SA etc and which visa office processed your app? Thanks. :) Our application was submitted on June 11 and my wife is from the Philippines.
I am from England. We sent off the application April 4th, they received April 26th and started processing April 27th (at Mississauga). Around the end of May (can't remember specifically) we received notice my husband had been approved able to sponsor me and that the application was forwarded to the office in Ottawa. Then it was around June 14th we received the CoPR by mail. I made a pretty air-tight application, making sure medical checks, police checks, all certificates and proof needed and payment was sent either before or included in the full application.

annakrystyna13 said:
Actually, some offices DO have Service Canada stations at their locations and they are able to issue your SIN there. Which office are you landing at?
Your landing letter will tell you whether you can obtain your SIN there.
Most likely Hamilton as that is our nearest city.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11, 2016 (recd June 13 by CIC)
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: August 11, 2016
Med's Done....
Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
hannahmay said:
I am from England. We sent off the application April 4th, they received April 26th and started processing April 27th (at Mississauga). Around the end of May (can't remember specifically) we received notice my husband had been approved able to sponsor me and that the application was forwarded to the office in Ottawa. Then it was around June 14th we received the CoPR by mail. I made a pretty air-tight application, making sure medical checks, police checks, all certificates and proof needed and payment was sent either before or included in the full application.
Ah I see. So the first AOR was around the 22 day mark, and SA about a month after that which is fairly standard it seems (current average is showing SA takes 43 days based on CIC site), then 1 month for phase 2 which is the amazing part. There are a few other threads showing really fast processing time for the Ottawa VO as well. I secretly hope ours gets forwarded there. Congratulations by the way. :)

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
hannahmay said:
I made a pretty air-tight application, making sure medical checks, police checks, all certificates and proof needed and payment was sent either before or included in the full application.
Your short wait time had little to do with whether or not your application was air tight. Had they sent your application to London instead, i can gurantee you that your file would have sat on the shelf gathering dust for another 6 months.

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S_and_C said:
Ah I see. So the first AOR was around the 22 day mark, and SA about a month after that which is fairly standard it seems (current average is showing SA takes 43 days based on CIC site), then 1 month for phase 2 which is the amazing part. There are a few other threads showing really fast processing time for the Ottawa VO as well. I secretly hope ours gets forwarded there. Congratulations by the way. :)
Thank you :)

rand75 said:
Your short wait time had little to do with whether or not your application was air tight. Had they sent your application to London instead, i can gurantee you that your file would have sat on the shelf gathering dust for another 6 months.
Well, it didn't make it worse. But thanks.