+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Approved, Landing Procedure

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
My wife and child's application for PR was approved - we received their COPR papers a few weeks ago.

We currently live in the US and applied Outland.

We will be doing the landing in September, will stay in Canada for two weeks, and will return to the US afterwards to sort out our affairs. We will move to Canada permanently around January.

Some questions:
1. For my wife (applicant), she will not be bringing anything with her in September that will remain in Canada. She will have a Personal Effects form filled out for Goods to Follow (for goods that will follow in January). Is it correct to assume this is the right procedure?

2. For me, I have been out of the country for many years, which means when I do move back to Canada permanently, I will be considered a returning resident (January). Will my visit in September be considered a non-resident (visitor's) visit? Meaning, do I need to fill out a Personal Effects form when I enter in September? Or do I only need it for when I travel in January (permanently returning)? How would I explain that my wife/child are landing, whereas I am just a "visitor?"

3. Are there any concerns with my wife doing just the landing in September and us returning to the US for a few months? The reason we are returning is to sort out our affairs, but mainly because I would like to earn the annual bonus from my company before we leave for good - should I expect there to be any issues at the border when we are questioned about our timeline/plans if I am upfront about my intentions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
Yes
Sorry I don't know.
If you are asked tell them the reason, just like you described it in your post.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Klystomane said:
My wife and child's application for PR was approved - we received their COPR papers a few weeks ago.
Congratulations.

Klystomane said:
1. For my wife (applicant), she will not be bringing anything with her in September that will remain in Canada. She will have a Personal Effects form filled out for Goods to Follow (for goods that will follow in January). Is it correct to assume this is the right procedure?
Yes, you want to bring it and ask CBSA if they want it now or later. Assuming you are flying in you have to tick the goods to follow box so you are best off declaring it and detailing your plan to CBSA.

Klystomane said:
2. For me, I have been out of the country for many years, which means when I do move back to Canada permanently, I will be considered a returning resident (January). Will my visit in September be considered a non-resident (visitor's) visit? Meaning, do I need to fill out a Personal Effects form when I enter in September? Or do I only need it for when I travel in January (permanently returning)? How would I explain that my wife/child are landing, whereas I am just a "visitor?"
Not clear if you are a PR or citizen. If a PR have you met the 730 days in 5 year minimum requirement?
You have to fill out a customs form whenever you enter Canada (by air), if by land I believe they ask if you have goods but that's it.
You only need to fill out a personal effects form if you are bringing goods in later; I'm not sure if you can do that as an already landed immigrant or citizen though, it's designed to be a tax break for your first landing only.

Klystomane said:
3. Are there any concerns with my wife doing just the landing in September and us returning to the US for a few months? The reason we are returning is to sort out our affairs, but mainly because I would like to earn the annual bonus from my company before we leave for good - should I expect there to be any issues at the border when we are questioned about our timeline/plans if I am upfront about my intentions?
No, plenty of people do this but always be upfront with immigration officials that you are entering now and will be landing permanently in January.
You'll need to ensure you can provide an address for the PR cards to be sent. Do you actually need to land (does the COPR or anything else expire) before January? If it doesn't expire I'd be tempted to do it then, the 730/5 year requirement kicks in when you land for one, and you're not likely to be able to get things like health care (depending upon province) until you are living or / have lived in Canada a certain time frame.

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
jc94 said:
Congratulations.

Yes, you want to bring it and ask CBSA if they want it now or later. Assuming you are flying in you have to tick the goods to follow box so you are best off declaring it and detailing your plan to CBSA.

Not clear if you are a PR or citizen. If a PR have you met the 730 days in 5 year minimum requirement?
You have to fill out a customs form whenever you enter Canada (by air), if by land I believe they ask if you have goods but that's it.
You only need to fill out a personal effects form if you are bringing goods in later; I'm not sure if you can do that as an already landed immigrant or citizen though, it's designed to be a tax break for your first landing only.

No, plenty of people do this but always be upfront with immigration officials that you are entering now and will be landing permanently in January.
You'll need to ensure you can provide an address for the PR cards to be sent. Do you actually need to land (does the COPR or anything else expire) before January? If it doesn't expire I'd be tempted to do it then, the 730/5 year requirement kicks in when you land for one, and you're not likely to be able to get things like health care (depending upon province) until you are living or / have lived in Canada a certain time frame.
Thanks :) It took us about 15 months from the date we applied to get approved.

1. Okay.

2. I am a Canadian citizen. I am just a little confused about whether my trip in September would constitute my own "return." My plan is to have the form filled out anyway and have CBSA determine how to proceed; I am however, doing my due diligence so that there are no surprises.

3. COPR does not expire before January, but we are having a family reunion (parents, sibling, cousins, etc.) in September, which was actually planned before we even got the COPR. We have no concerns about the 730/5 requirement. We will be in Ontario, so health insurance is not a concern as it will not take effect until three months after we move back.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Klystomane said:
Thanks :) It took us about 15 months from the date we applied to get approved.

1. Okay.

2. I am a Canadian citizen. I am just a little confused about whether my trip in September would constitute my own "return." My plan is to have the form filled out anyway and have CBSA determine how to proceed; I am however, doing my due diligence so that there are no surprises.

3. COPR does not expire before January, but we are having a family reunion (parents, sibling, cousins, etc.) in September, which was actually planned before we even got the COPR. We have no concerns about the 730/5 requirement. We will be in Ontario, so health insurance is not a concern as it will not take effect until three months after we move back.
For yourself, I would say Canadian of course, but then non resident and list days you are staying as you dont' sound like you have been (or will be) resident for a while. Resident is very different to immigration status, I've been a "resident" for 2.5 years and a PR for 5 weeks :) I got my CoPR 5 months ago but delayed landing due to PR card time issues.

I don't know what passports your wife and child are on, but you don't have to land. I myself actually "landed" twice in Canada. I fly into Ottawa with my CoPR but didn't use it, I used my still valid work permit. The customs lady was a little confused but didn't take me too long. I only had a 1.5h connection into Toronto you see and didn't want to miss it. Once back in Toronto, a couple of friends picked me up and we drove down to the Rainbow bridge where I again landed, this time as a PR.

So, if you wife/child have a valid visa (or eTA) they can enter without landing for the reunion :)

That's what I'd do, personally. But if they have no visa are are not on a visa exempt passport that may be too timely and costly. It sounds like they have all that stuff though if you were planning this for a while.

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
jc94 said:
For yourself, I would say Canadian of course, but then non resident and list days you are staying as you dont' sound like you have been (or will be) resident for a while. Resident is very different to immigration status, I've been a "resident" for 2.5 years and a PR for 5 weeks :) I got my CoPR 5 months ago but delayed landing due to PR card time issues.

I don't know what passports your wife and child are on, but you don't have to land. I myself actually "landed" twice in Canada. I fly into Ottawa with my CoPR but didn't use it, I used my still valid work permit. The customs lady was a little confused but didn't take me too long. I only had a 1.5h connection into Toronto you see and didn't want to miss it. Once back in Toronto, a couple of friends picked me up and we drove down to the Rainbow bridge where I again landed, this time as a PR.

So, if you wife/child have a valid visa (or eTA) they can enter without landing for the reunion :)

That's what I'd do, personally. But if they have no visa are are not on a visa exempt passport that may be too timely and costly. It sounds like they have all that stuff though if you were planning this for a while.
We are all in the US right now. They have South Korean passports, so if entering as visitors, they would need ETAs only.

However, we would like to get the landing procedure done with since the COPR expires in March 2017 and I do not want to cut it too close.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I can certainly understand that, but I'd just say to carefully analyse your landing plans in Jan if you are going to "land" in September.

You will only be able to return to Canada with all parties holding a valid PR card or via a private vehicle over the US border. What are you plans for getting the PR cards? Bear in mind that while you should get them within 40-60 days there is no guarantee. One guy waited 9 months (269 days)!

Wait times of 60-120 days for people who have to replace photos are fairly common on the threads.

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
jc94 said:
I can certainly understand that, but I'd just say to carefully analyse your landing plans in Jan if you are going to "land" in September.

You will only be able to return to Canada with all parties holding a valid PR card or via a private vehicle over the US border. What are you plans for getting the PR cards? Bear in mind that while you should get them within 40-60 days there is no guarantee. One guy waited 9 months (269 days)!

Wait times of 60-120 days for people who have to replace photos are fairly common on the threads.
We will have the PR cards sent to us while we are gone, however, we are also planning on U-hauling back to Canada with all of our belongings while doing a little cross-country USA trip, so either works for us!

That said, can CBSA "deny" landing, if the intention is to just land and leave again two weeks later?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Klystomane said:
That said, can CBSA "deny" landing, if the intention is to just land and leave again two weeks later?
Well CBSA can deny landing for anything... but it's pretty rare unless you committed a crime or any of those things they request details on when doing PPR (they often repeat these questions at landing). There shouldn't be any issue if you are just landing and then returning later, I've read many posts of people doing just that.

I would however (always) recommend being upfront and honest if asked.

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
jc94 said:
Well CBSA can deny landing for anything... but it's pretty rare unless you committed a crime or any of those things they request details on when doing PPR (they often repeat these questions at landing). There shouldn't be any issue if you are just landing and then returning later, I've read many posts of people doing just that.

I would however (always) recommend being upfront and honest if asked.
Understood - thanks for the advice!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Klystomane said:
We will have the PR cards sent to us while we are gone, however, we are also planning on U-hauling back to Canada with all of our belongings while doing a little cross-country USA trip, so either works for us!

the PR cards will not be mailed to you outside of canada. you will need to give CBSA a canadian address to mail the PR cards to, and then you'll have to arrange for them to be mailed to you in the US through a 3rd party.

The work around to traveling without a pr card is to travel by car across the border because only the COPR and passport are needed by private land travel. Technically, it's the same for air travel. Usually, if a person is visa exempt, they can travel to canada on the strength of their passport and present their stamped COPR at immigration. I'm not sure if this will change with the new ETA laws and a PR card will be required to enter. I'd recommend waiting to land until you are all ready to do it at the same time to make it easier. your wife and child can freely enter canada as visitors in september and they do not need to land on that trip. the only requirement is they land by the expiry date on the COPR. you do not need to present your declaration forms until you plan to settle.

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
CDNPR2014 said:
the PR cards will not be mailed to you outside of canada. you will need to give CBSA a canadian address to mail the PR cards to, and then you'll have to arrange for them to be mailed to you in the US through a 3rd party.

The work around to traveling without a pr card is to travel by car across the border because only the COPR and passport are needed by private land travel. Technically, it's the same for air travel. Usually, if a person is visa exempt, they can travel to canada on the strength of their passport and present their stamped COPR at immigration. I'm not sure if this will change with the new ETA laws and a PR card will be required to enter. I'd recommend waiting to land until you are all ready to do it at the same time to make it easier. your wife and child can freely enter canada as visitors in september and they do not need to land on that trip. the only requirement is they land by the expiry date on the COPR. you do not need to present your declaration forms until you plan to settle.
We have no issues with getting the card mailed to us at a later date.

The reason my wife/child want to land this time is because there is an expiration date attached to the COPR - I'm a firm believer in not procrastinating; you never know what will happen, so it's best to just get it out of the way.

The concern I have mainly is that if they land, do I need to declare "settlement" on my part? A condition of their PR is that I will be returning to and living in Canada. In this case, I am technically a "visitor" as my settlement date is planned for January.

Simply put, this time around, is it possible for them to "land" as PRs, and for me to enter as a "visitor?"

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
The work around to traveling without a pr card is to travel by car across the border because only the COPR and passport are needed by private land travel. Technically, it's the same for air travel. Usually, if a person is visa exempt, they can travel to canada on the strength of their passport and present their stamped COPR at immigration. I'm not sure if this will change with the new ETA laws and a PR card will be required to enter. I'd recommend waiting to land until you are all ready to do it at the same time to make it easier. your wife and child can freely enter canada as visitors in september and they do not need to land on that trip. the only requirement is they land by the expiry date on the COPR. you do not need to present your declaration forms until you plan to settle
Yes, you now need either ...

- Canadian passport;
- non-Canadian visa required passport with valid visa;
- non-Canadian visa exempt passport with an eTA OR PR card OR unsigned CoPR;

... to get onto a plane bound for Canada. Granted CIC states there is a leniency period until Sept. 29th but AC, LH and BA (and I suspect others) are all ignoring this. I was able to talk my way onto a plane without an eTA or PR card by claiming I was going to land with CoPR (he could have asked to see it but did not), that was early June.

While it would be interesting to see what airlines would say if you attempted to board a plane with a completed CoPR I suspect it will vary based upon who you get at the gate and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. I'm actually still expecting to see news of someone with a non-completed CoPR being denied boarding by some incompetent / ignorant airline agent who has been told only PR card or eTA is valid. But maybe I'm being unfair of airline training!

Klystomane said:
Simply put, this time around, is it possible for them to "land" as PRs, and for me to enter as a "visitor?"
Yes.

I "landed" with two Canadian citizens. Neither was asked any questions.

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
jc94 said:
Yes, you now need either ...

- Canadian passport;
- non-Canadian visa required passport with valid visa;
- non-Canadian visa exempt passport with an eTA OR PR card OR unsigned CoPR;

... to get onto a plane bound for Canada. Granted CIC states there is a leniency period until Sept. 29th but AC, LH and BA (and I suspect others) are all ignoring this. I was able to talk my way onto a plane without an eTA or PR card by claiming I was going to land with CoPR (he could have asked to see it but did not), that was early June.

While it would be interesting to see what airlines would say if you attempted to board a plane with a completed CoPR I suspect it will vary based upon who you get at the gate and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. I'm actually still expecting to see news of someone with a non-completed CoPR being denied boarding by some incompetent / ignorant airline agent who has been told only PR card or eTA is valid. But maybe I'm being unfair of airline training!

Yes.

I "landed" with two Canadian citizens. Neither was asked any questions.
Thanks for the ETA headsup - I found these articles and will bring a printout of them to the airport: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1235&top=16

They are from a visa-exempt country, so sounds like they just need their passports and unsigned COPRs.

When you arrived with them, were you a resident or non-resident? Since I have been gone many years, I am currently a non-resident of Canada. My issue is that at some point, when I return, I will be considered a returning resident, which means I will have to fill out a B4 form of my own.

In my case, do I submit it in September, or January?