+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Approved Counterfoil Expiry after Medical Expiry

ripster85

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
My PR status is showing approved. I am expecting my passports back soon.

But i am confused. Counterfoil expiry is 12/25 but my medicals expire on 03/01, i was under the impression you have to enter before medical expiry not sure how they gave COPR counterfoil expiry for 11 months

Anybody had similar concerns?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's not a concern since you can only use the counterfoil once and it has to be before your COPR expires. The counterfoil is the visa in your passport.

ripster85

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
It's not a concern since you can only use the counterfoil once and it has to be before your COPR expires. The counterfoil is the visa in your passport.
Thanks for your response so Counterfoil & COPR will have separate dates? Does this mean i still have to enter before medical expires?

I appreciate your help

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You will need to enter before your COPR expires. That date is generally one year from your medicals.

I take it you don't have your COPR yet? Just wait until you get your COPR and assume the expiry will be the same as your medicals.

ripster85

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
You will need to enter before your COPR expires. That date is generally one year from your medicals.

I take it you don't have your COPR yet? Just wait until you get your COPR and assume the expiry will be the same as your medicals.
Thank You, I will wait for physical passports. I was just going by expiry date given in online status. While i researched i see CIC has indeed sometimes extended landing deadline beyond medical expiry as show in my online profile, but i will not make assumptions. I will update the thread once i receive the passports with COPR.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your online profile does not show the COPR. The counterfoil is the PR-1 visa that is in your passport. The COPR is a separate document.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for your response so Counterfoil & COPR will have separate dates? Does this mean i still have to enter before medical expires?
I appreciate your help
They have the same expiry date. That's the only date you need to be concerned about. Your medical date is really irrelevant now.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
It's the PR visa for people who are not from visa exempt countries
Is it detachable? I mean, the definition of counterfoil, according to Webster’s, is as follows: a detachable stub (as on a check or ticket) usually serving as a record or receipt.
So is that visa detacheable? Is it a term IRCC is using to calling it that?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Is it detachable? I mean, the definition of counterfoil, according to Webster’s, is as follows: a detachable stub (as on a check or ticket) usually serving as a record or receipt.
So is that visa detacheable? Is it a term IRCC is using to calling it that?
Does that actually matter?

It's the label that is physically in the passport. It's detached from something at IRCC.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Does that actually matter?

It's the label that is physically in the passport. It's detached from something at IRCC.
Misuse of words, and using them in the wrong context, show a lack of language proficiency. I’m curious as to weather the word is one used by IRCC or if it’s adopted by the community because someone thought it was correct to use it that way.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Misuse of words, and using them in the wrong context, show a lack of language proficiency. I’m curious as to weather the word is one used by IRCC or if it’s adopted by the community because someone thought it was correct to use it that way.
It is literally the term that IRCC uses to describe the visa label that is applied in passports. You can see it in gckey.

Unsure who is misusing words here in your estimation.

Reactions: yyzstudent

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12