+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR approved. Can I visit Canada to find a house before 'landing'?

Velomaster

Aug 3, 2018
I am a US citizen and just received approval of my PR. My wife is dual US-Canadian citizen. Neither of us have resided in Canada before. Can we travel to Canada before my official 'landing," so that we can find an apartment or house in BC?

Our preferred sequence of events would look like this:

Visit BC one or twice to find a home (Sept-Oct)
Return to the States to settle affairs, sell house (Oct)
Land and settle in BC; import our car at that time (Oct-Nov)
Import our "goods to follow later" by separate shipment (Nov)

Guidance and advice from the forum is greatly appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I am a US citizen and just received approval of my PR. My wife is dual US-Canadian citizen. Neither of us have resided in Canada before. Can we travel to Canada before my official 'landing," so that we can find an apartment or house in BC?

Our preferred sequence of events would look like this:

Visit BC one or twice to find a home (Sept-Oct)
Return to the States to settle affairs, sell house (Oct)
Land and settle in BC; import our car at that time (Oct-Nov)
Import our "goods to follow later" by separate shipment (Nov)

Guidance and advice from the forum is greatly appreciated.
1. Yes, as long as you "land" before your COPR expires.

Velomaster

Aug 3, 2018
Thank you, that helps clarify things. One other query: once I do my landing, will I then receive a PR card in the post? Or only after fulfilling the two-year residency requirement? I now have a lead on temporary housing for several months that will provide a formal postal address for this and other documents associated with settling in BC.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you, that helps clarify things. One other query: once I do my landing, will I then receive a PR card in the post? Or only after fulfilling the two-year residency requirement? I now have a lead on temporary housing for several months that will provide a formal postal address for this and other documents associated with settling in BC.
When you do your landing you will need to provide CBSA with a Canadian address for your PR card to be mailed to in about 6-8 weeks so no residency requirement for initial card. They will not mail a PR card out of the country not even to the US.

As far as PR cards are concerned the 2 year residency obligation only becomes important when you come to renew the card when it is due to expire in 5 years from issue or if at any time you need to apply for a PRTD should you happen to not have your card when outside the country and need to fly back. Residency obligation 2 out of 5 is based on landing date by the way and not the PR card issue date.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I am under the impression that your residence status in Canada is irrelevant to your ability to rent of own a property in Canada. You may have to pay a non resident tax if you do not have residence but as far as I know foreigners are permitted to own property in Canada without issues.

Good luck

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
As far as PR cards are concerned the 2 year residency obligation only becomes important when you come to renew the card when it is due to expire in 5 years from issue or if at any time you need to apply for a PRTD should you happen to not have your card when outside the country and need to fly back. Residency obligation 2 out of 5 is based on landing date by the way and not the PR card issue date.
The RO is always an issue. Even with a valid unexpired PR card, a CBSA officer could determine you have violated your RO and report you to IRCC for action.