+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR approved but not yet landed, might get married soon, please please help

cnochus

Oct 28, 2017
Dear All,

Following is my situation. My PR application has been approved and I am waiting for my passport to be returned. However, due to some family reasons I might have to get married before I receive my pr card whose current processing time is 60 days.
I had applied from within Canada and I still have to complete the landing once I receive my passport back. After reading a lot of relevant posts I got to know that if I re-enter without doing a landing (and after my marriage) I will have to declare the change in martial status due to which I will have to reapply for my spouse and which will take additional time. All this, without any guarantee of my application approval.
I never ever lied in my application and DO NOT intend to do so ever. However, due to personal reasons I most probably will have to get married soon.
For now I am thinking about going to a land border like Niagra Bridge or booking an appointment with IRCC office the moment I receive my passport. Once I receive the confirmation of my PR status I will go for marriage.

Thus, I am thinking to get the PRTD document after marriage to return to Canada. However, in the PRTD document there is a section which asks about marital status. After I apply I will have to check the married status. Just wanted to know if that will impact my application or the application for my future spouse sponsorship.

Request all wise people here to shed some light on this difficult situation.

Thanks in advance for your time help!

Last edited:

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
As long as you are still actually single when you land, there will be no impact if you later get a PRTD as married. Many people in a situation like yours land and activate their PR then get married soon after. It is not uncommon and as long as you've been truthful about your status there is nothing to fear from CIC

Reactions: cnochus

cnochus

Oct 28, 2017
As long as you are still actually single when you land, there will be no impact if you later get a PRTD as married. Many people in a situation like yours land and activate their PR then get married soon after. It is not uncommon and as long as you've been truthful about your status there is nothing to fear from CIC
Hi Alurra71,

Thanks a lot for taking out the time and replying to my query. Really appreciate your help. May The Almighty Bless You!!!!

Warm Regards!!

MWQ

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
What about after landing. I already landed in Canada had to return back to my country to tie up some issues & I am planning to return back by March next year. However, I want to get married here and sponsor her as soon I arrived in Canada. Is that possible & what should I do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can sponsor her as soon as you return to Canada.

MWQ

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
Thank you. but how can I do that I need to know what are the steps & rules of someone in my situation. Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. but how can I do that I need to know what are the steps & rules of someone in my situation. Please help.
You can easily find this information on the CIC web site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

You must continue to live in Canada while the application is processed and until it is approved. If you take a few short trips (2-3 weeks) outside of Canada - that is OK. Anything longer and the application will be refused.

Your wife can apply for a TRV to visit you in Canada while the application is being processed. There is a good chance the TRV will be refused and you and your wife will need to live separately while her PR application is processed.